• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkl3000

Explorer
To the clarify

It is a bad rule without any explanation whatsoever.

The bad rule is:

The Druid armor proficiency "will not" include metal armor.

In other words, the Druid is nonproficient with metal armor.

Why?

Who know?

It is a dumb rule.

But that is the rule.
"will not wear" \= "is not proficient"

Yaarel

He Mage
I like your consistency and persistance, but you keep making up meanings around the fringes and acting as though that's what the text says. You really are just making stuff up. It's not stuff that I necessarily disagree with, but it's made up...
When other interpreters say, that the rule is "flavor" − that is made up. Because "flavor" would mean some kind of explanation for the mechanic, and there is exactly no explanation.

When yet other interpreters say, the rule "will not" means it is permanently impossible to modify − that is made up. Because the metal armor is a general rule. Generally, Druids wont wear metal armor. But any specific rule will change that.

People are interpolating entire editions of imaginary texts into these two words, "will not". Imaginary texts that have no existence anywhere else in D&D 5e.

The proficiency rule simply means. Despite that Druids are proficient with "light and medium armors", this proficiency "will not" include any armors made of metal. That is all it means. Nothing else.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's basically like declaring that Fighters will not use Ranged weapons or Barbarians only eat keto so they will not eat bread, then the DM gleefully describes you dying from an exhaustion stack because the party looted a burning bakery on their way out into the wilderness. There's not even a penalty to it, the 'ruling' is just that there's a preternatural compulsion based on the abstract class you the player picked to represent your character's power set.

That’s only because carbs are for losers and bards. But I repeat myself.

In the immortal words of Conan “Bread is a four-letter word” the Barbarian, “Do you even lift, brah?”

carkl3000

Explorer
"will not wear" ≈ "will not include"
I'm sorry to keep doing this, but if they wanted druid armor proficiency to disinclude medium armor made from metal it would have been incredibly easy to do it. The fact that they didn't means something.

The text saying that they "will not wear it" has absolutely nothing to do with "proficiency" from any reading of standard english.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
The proficiency rule simply means. Despite that Druids are proficient with "light and medium armors", this proficiency "will not" include any armors made of metal. That is all it means. Nothing else.

It doesn't say that they don't have proficiency with metal armor, it doesn't say they suffer nonproficiency penalties, and it doesn't say they can't obtain proficiency and then proceed to wear metal armors-- even though I would glady allow it. It says they will not wear metal armor. That's a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads