D&D 5E Can your Druids wear metal armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The equipment has a tag and there is a restriction on a class based on that tag. What you're trying to do would be like playing a halfling, who have restriction on heavy weapons, and just deciding that you can get a greatsword without the heavy tag but otherwise identical. You seem to think that the writers just put in rules that do nothing. I don't. And my reading is backed by Crawford correctly identifying the armours druids are expected to wear under the rules; no half-plate included.

Tag? What tag?

Armor NameCostArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealthWeight
Hide10 gp12 + Dex modifier (max 2)--12 lb.
Chain shirt50 gp13 + Dex modifier (max 2)--20 lb.
Scale mail50 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)-Disadvantage45 lb.
Breastplate400 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)--20 lb.
Half plate750 gp15 + Dex modifier (max 2)-Disadvantage40 lb.

I don't see any tags here. See, if I pulled up Greatswords though

Weapon NameCostDamageWeightProperties
Battleaxe10 gp1d8 slashing4 lb.Versatile (1d10)
Flail10 gp1d8 bludgeoning2 lb.-
Glaive20 gp1d10 slashing6 lb.Heavy, reach, two-handed
Greataxe30 gp1d12 slashing7 lb.Heavy, two-handed
Greatsword50 gp2d6 slashing6 lb.Heavy, two-handed
Halberd20 gp1d10 slashing6 lb.Heavy, reach, two-handed
Lance10 gp1d12 piercing6 lb.Reach, special
Longsword15 gp1d8 slashing3 lb.Versatile (1d10)
Maul10 gp2d6 bludgeoning10 lb.Heavy, two-handed

I mean... look at those tags. Heavy property, right there. Easily seen and referenced.

So, if I make a greatsword out of volcanic glass and it has all the same stats... it has the two-handed and the heavy propery. And so a halfling wouldn't be able to use it without disadvantage. But, shocking I know, "Metal" isn't a tag in any of these sections.

I mean, look at that Maul. What is it made of? Wood? Metal? Stone? I am showing you every single bit of rules text and there isn't even a description of mauls in the book. If there is supposed to be some tag telling us what everything is made of... then we have a lot of missing rules. How have we gone so long without noticing that?

Unless... there is no tag. There is no requirement that materials be set and immutable. That, in fact, you are wrong and I have provided all of the rule text both for the maul and half-plate, and either could be made of any materials.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Honestly, I'm really jazzed with the idea of offering bonuses. The spirits of the plants and animals rallying to defend you and improving the leather and hides to make it something more? That is an amazing concept.

I also feel like providing a bonus is more effective than a penalty, but that is just some psychology talking,
It worked to keep 100% of the druids I saw out of metal armor, so.... But I agree that bonuses are better. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Tag? What tag?

Armor NameCostArmor Class (AC)StrengthStealthWeight
Hide10 gp12 + Dex modifier (max 2)--12 lb.
Chain shirt50 gp13 + Dex modifier (max 2)--20 lb.
Scale mail50 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)-Disadvantage45 lb.
Breastplate400 gp14 + Dex modifier (max 2)--20 lb.
Half plate750 gp15 + Dex modifier (max 2)-Disadvantage40 lb.

I don't see any tags here. See, if I pulled up Greatswords though

Weapon NameCostDamageWeightProperties
Battleaxe10 gp1d8 slashing4 lb.Versatile (1d10)
Flail10 gp1d8 bludgeoning2 lb.-
Glaive20 gp1d10 slashing6 lb.Heavy, reach, two-handed
Greataxe30 gp1d12 slashing7 lb.Heavy, two-handed
Greatsword50 gp2d6 slashing6 lb.Heavy, two-handed
Halberd20 gp1d10 slashing6 lb.Heavy, reach, two-handed
Lance10 gp1d12 piercing6 lb.Reach, special
Longsword15 gp1d8 slashing3 lb.Versatile (1d10)
Maul10 gp2d6 bludgeoning10 lb.Heavy, two-handed

I mean... look at those tags. Heavy property, right there. Easily seen and referenced.

So, if I make a greatsword out of volcanic glass and it has all the same stats... it has the two-handed and the heavy propery. And so a halfling wouldn't be able to use it without disadvantage. But, shocking I know, "Metal" isn't a tag in any of these sections.

I mean, look at that Maul. What is it made of? Wood? Metal? Stone? I am showing you every single bit of rules text and there isn't even a description of mauls in the book. If there is supposed to be some tag telling us what everything is made of... then we have a lot of missing rules. How have we gone so long without noticing that?

Unless... there is no tag. There is no requirement that materials be set and immutable. That, in fact, you are wrong and I have provided all of the rule text both for the maul and half-plate, and either could be made of any materials.
Yep. The descriptions are not rules. Despite Ring Mail not mentioning metal, it's typically metal and heat metal would work on it.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I've been playing D&D pretty much forever with many different people, it's never been an issue. You'd have to do some kind of polling to see if it was at all widespread.

However, there's a simple solution: if you don't like the rule ignore it. If you're not the DM and your DM enforces it, suck it up and accept that you don't always get what you want and that it's hardly the end of the world.

I'm sure you'll accuse me of being dismissive but there are almost always going to be minor things I don't like with any game. There is no such thing as the perfect RPG. So it's a mountain being made out of a molehill.

It is always refreshing when people say "just suck it up and accept it, there is no reason to change"

I mean, what's a few character concepts that are arbitrarily cut because people are insistent that the way they play the game is the way the game should be played. It isn't like this is something that has be discussed again and again and again and again.

Could keep going, but I got tired of it. I'm honestly not surprised you've never seen it though, considering what I know of your home games and such, but this is literally something that appears every few months. A minor issue? Sure. But I've seen more threads and discussions on Druids wearing metal armor than literally anything other than mood druids wildshape.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That the information is in the item description doesn't stop it being tag for rules purposes. It is a thing other rules interact with. And this is perfectly clear to most people; they're not confused about what armours druids are allowed to wear or on which armours heat metal works on. Because the rules clearly tell you that.

Here is the description of studded leather, does heat metal work on it? "Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes."

How about ring mail? "This armor is leather armor with heavy rings sewn into it. The rings help reinforce the armor against blows from swords and axes. Ring mail is inferior to chain mail, and it's usually worn only by those who can't afford better armor."

What about a maul? A lance? Spear? Staff? Club? There are no descriptions for these items, so how am I supposed to know the rules for them?

Oofta

Legend
It is always refreshing when people say "just suck it up and accept it, there is no reason to change"

I mean, what's a few character concepts that are arbitrarily cut because people are insistent that the way they play the game is the way the game should be played. It isn't like this is something that has be discussed again and again and again and again.

Could keep going, but I got tired of it. I'm honestly not surprised you've never seen it though, considering what I know of your home games and such, but this is literally something that appears every few months. A minor issue? Sure. But I've seen more threads and discussions on Druids wearing metal armor than literally anything other than mood druids wildshape.
If it wasn't for forums, there are several "major issues" I would never know were a thing. 🤷‍♂️

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Here is the description of studded leather, does heat metal work on it? "Made from tough but flexible leather, studded leather is reinforced with close-set rivets or spikes."

How about ring mail? "This armor is leather armor with heavy rings sewn into it. The rings help reinforce the armor against blows from swords and axes. Ring mail is inferior to chain mail, and it's usually worn only by those who can't afford better armor."

What about a maul? A lance? Spear? Staff? Club? There are no descriptions for these items, so how am I supposed to know the rules for them?
He's already told me that ring mail isn't metal, because it doesn't say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads