Canadian Federal Elections, eh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujin

Legend
I still have time to submit my own bid to run on the Rhinoceros Party ticket, though I don't know if I trust me enough to vote for me.

Hussar

Legend
Goldomark said:
So? We are poor, they are poorer. They get more money, we get more hate. Doesn't make sense.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?466388-Canadian-Federal-Elections-eh/page5#ixzz3ikOyfGsH

Asked and answered in the other thread. Atlantic Canada isn't trying to break up the country every twenty years or so. No, I stated that wrong. Atlantic Canada isn't pissing millions of dollars down the toiled every couple of decades, stirring the pot and trying to secede and then failing because Montreal will never agree to separating from Canada.

Sort out your own house first, make a decision, and live with it. As it is, all you're doing is pissing off your neighbours by constantly crying from the rooftop that this town sucks, and then never actually packing up your stuff and leaving.

Piss or get off the pot. And I mean exactly that. If you aren't going to separate, how about letting the issue lie for a while? Let it fade to the background until Quebec has sorted out its economic issues and maybe, then, bring this back up as an issue.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

The tenor of this thread is leaning such that I am going to have to ask that everyone stay respectful, or I will have to close the discussion. Politics is allowed, but only on the basis of normal board rules on civility.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Asked and answered in the other thread. Atlantic Canada isn't trying to break up the country every twenty years or so.
That doesn't explain poverty. What you seem to be saying is that we are less deserving than Atlantic Canada.

Poverty in Québec comes from centuries of colonialism. We weren't owners of industries or land. We got small salaries for mostly extracting natural resources and maybe doing the first transformation, while the profits went elsewhere.

Hussar

Legend
That doesn't explain poverty. What you seem to be saying is that we are less deserving than Atlantic Canada.

Poverty in Québec comes from centuries of colonialism. We weren't owners of industries or land. We got small salaries for mostly extracting natural resources and maybe doing the first transformation, while the profits went elsewhere.

Why aren't you the owners of industry or land? Quebec is one of the largest provinces, has a population base as large as any other province and larger than most, great education system, and so on. Yet, virtually no foreign factories, like you see in Ontario, for example. Why is that? Why are there major Ford, Chrysler, GM and Toyota factories all within a hundred kilometres of London Ontario, yet, Montreal, which is ten times the size of London, has what, Nissan?

Is it because of colonialism, or political instability?

You are certainly no less deserving than any other province. What you are, OTOH, is far less politically stable and that shows in your economy.

Kramodlog

Why aren't you the owners of industry or land?
Sigh. You need to re-read what I wrote carefully. Pay attention to verb tense.

Is it because of colonialism, or political instability?
There isn't any political instability and there weren't any before the 1960s and the rise of modern Québec nationalism. There was colonialism and its effect can still be felt today. Our economic developpement was gimped for a long time so we still are doing some catching up.

It seems that I'm repeating myself over and over and I'm not getting through.

Hussar

Legend
Sigh. You need to re-read what I wrote carefully. Pay attention to verb tense.

There isn't any political instability and there weren't any before the 1960s and the rise of modern Québec nationalism. There was colonialism and its effect can still be felt today. Our economic developpement was gimped for a long time so we still are doing some catching up.

It seems that I'm repeating myself over and over and I'm not getting through.

Ummm, how do you figure that the separatist movement is not political instability?

You're getting through. I just disagree with what you're saying. How far back are you going to drag this? When were French Canadians not allowed to own land? At what point in Canadian history?

Your lack of industry has very little to do with colonialism and everything to do with the fact that you've spent the last 50 years making yourselves very unappealing to any industrial investment.

Kramodlog

Ummm, how do you figure that the separatist movement is not political instability?
No coup d'état, during elections voting goes without an itch, no massive strikes related to nationalism, no protests related to nationalism since the 60s (before independentist parties started getting elected), terrorism ended in the 70s, governments have been voting budgets constinously each year and there has been no default on paying the debt. When both referendums didn't lead to independence it was business as usual after. There wasn't any violence or social instability after.

You're getting through. I just disagree with what you're saying. How far back are you going to drag this? When were French Canadians not allowed to own land? At what point in Canadian history?
I didn't say they couldn't legally.

Your lack of industry has very little to do with colonialism and everything to do with the fact that you've spent the last 50 years making yourselves very unappealing to any industrial investment.
Industries existed before the last 50 years, why weren't those investments made before that? Why wasn't Québec as developped as Ontario before the last 50 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads