Cancelling MTG accounts as the next move

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
... we also didn’t get what we really need: a public, legally binding statement...

Well, that's because there isn't such a thing.

They could issue a new license, but given how unprepared they were for what has happened, that would take time.

As I've said elsewhere I think core D&D products are the only place where the sort of people upset with WotC right now are likely to make their voices unambiguously heard in a boycott. The venn diagram of invested enough to care and regular D&D book purchaser is actually pretty high.

But if deleting your Arena account in the hope that it sends some little bit of a message to WotC executives makes you happier than no longer playing Arena makes you unhappy by all means do it. Unlike deleting a no-subscription D&D Beyond account free players on Arena seriously contribute to the service by ensuring there are always lots of matches available, so it actually is probably a more effective spurning of WotC than the whole Beyond account deleting thing.

Just remember if its something you actually enjoy that you will suffer a lot more than the WotC excutives you're trying to send a message to.

Quite the dark timeline we're in when you feel like it's more responsible to patronize Activision-Blizzard than Hasbro.

I'll pass over where Disney lands on the scale of evils because they merely licensed out the Marvel IP to the Marvel Snap people.
We are doomed!
If we all leave DnD to another single game, then it will soon create a monster having a billion revenue per year. No surprise after a time it will start acting like a big corporation.
gaming market are so wide now that any popular game generate too much money to keep sane any promoter.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't have an M:tG Arena account, but I'm certainly not buying any physical cards now. Sadly, I don't think there's a way for me to signal that the way a canceled account does.

Do keep in mind that we shouldn't all fire our "guns" empty at once. Wizards needs to see the bleeding continue over time, to let them know we haven't given up and they still have more to lose.
I just got a dominaria Remastered box. And by got I mean I received it, I had bought the presale before this all happened. I had already decided to downscale, but as this thing blew up, I've stopped playing on Arena and don't plan to get any new MTG or DnD stuff for the time being -and I plan on not getting anyhting Hasbro for a while-. When they do their actual official announcement I'll reconsider. The movie comes out in March, the Lord of the Rings crossover in June, and new Eldraine in late September. I'm in no rush.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
As I've said elsewhere I think core D&D products are the only place where the sort of people upset with WotC right now are likely to make their voices unambiguously heard in a boycott. The venn diagram of invested enough to care and regular D&D book purchaser is actually pretty high.

But if deleting your Arena account in the hope that it sends some little bit of a message to WotC executives makes you happier than no longer playing Arena makes you unhappy by all means do it. Unlike deleting a no-subscription D&D Beyond account free players on Arena seriously contribute to the service by ensuring there are always lots of matches available, so it actually is probably a more effective spurning of WotC than the whole Beyond account deleting thing.

Just remember if its something you actually enjoy that you will suffer a lot more than the WotC excutives you're trying to send a message to.
I can always go back to Yugioh for a card game fix, you know?

Enrahim2

Adventurer
Yeah, because Disney is way more generous with IP rights than Hasbro! That will definitely make an unambiguous point!
You miss the point. Disney has been consistent about their IP messaging. There are also a general sentiment that wizards are completely free to lock down oneD&D or any successors as tightly as they want.

What people are protesting with regard to 1.0a is that that is a licence covering a lot more than wizards IP, that content creators contributed content they intended to be free to use (in the open source free way). Businesses and critical life decissions were made based on the expectation that 1.0a was working as intended, presented, and (arguably) written.

When wizards come in full bully mode, with completely horrendous legal claims that they likely think noone can afford to actually prove wrong, you are not looking at Mickey Mouse. You are looking at Peg-Leg Pete.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Boycott ... Spirit Halloween.

I wish you good luck with that.
Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey now! No no no no no no no no...!

Don't you be messing with my Spirit like that! You take that back! We have numerous empty department storefronts in my area that need Spirit coming in every August!

:: grumble grumble :: Suggesting people boycott Spirit Halloween! The nerve! ;)

Remove ads