• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't sneak attack in dungeons?

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: so...

kreynolds said:
Where do you get the idea that the alley automatically provides concealment? If it's pitch black, yeah, that's concealment. Otherwise, the rogue can see just fine. There's no such thing as varying levels of concealment due to darkness. Either you're in the light or you're not.

Eh... so 'moderate darkness', 'near total darkness', and 'total darkness' are not varying levels of darkness, right!

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: so...

AGGEMAM said:
Eh... so 'moderate darkness', 'near total darkness', and 'total darkness' are not varying levels of darkness, right!

Does that sound like fog? Nope. (ok, so I'm picky about words, one of those days)

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: so...

CRGreathouse said:
Exactly - it's not like one of the descriptions for concealment is "Light fog, moderate darkness, and light foliage". :rolleyes:

My point is that a rogue who goes after a target in an alley dark enough that limits his vision is a moron anyway. They can't take the target down very quickly. It stands to reason that if your target can't see you because of darkness, you can'y see them either. Kinda makes this whole discussion academic.

Last edited:

Anubis

First Post
Well, according to the rules, the only time someone has concealment is under SPECIFIC circumstances under which concealment is granted. Considering concealment is NOT granted in fog or area of low light by the rules, a DM would be wrong to impose such a restriction.

Under these circumstances, the #1 Rule BE FAIR is more important than a very slight bit of realism.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: so...

kreynolds said:
Does that sound like fog? Nope.

Well, read your post. You actually said there are no such thing as varying levels of darkness. Well, you're wrong. Both in RL and D&D rulings there ARE varying levels of darkness.

You didn't mention FOG, at all. But since you ask there are varying levels of fog, as well, 'light fog', 'dense fog at 5 feet', and dense fog at 10 feet'.

And, FYI, smoke as you mentioned in another post is described as 'dense fog at 5 feet' at least according to the DMG, page 89.

When it is one of those days I usually refrain from posting, at all.

Last edited:

jontherev

First Post
Anubis said:
Well, according to the rules, the only time someone has concealment is under SPECIFIC circumstances under which concealment is granted. Considering concealment is NOT granted in fog or area of low light by the rules, a DM would be wrong to impose such a restriction.

Under these circumstances, the #1 Rule BE FAIR is more important than a very slight bit of realism.

These are specific circumstances. These ARE rules here. Check the concealment chart in the PHB or SRD. Early in the morning there is often times a light fog. By the rules, this would prevent sneak attacks. Light foilage does the same thing. Any amount of darkness (moderate and above, open to interpretation by the DM) does the same thing. Those with lowlight (and a light source) or darkvision don't have to worry about this problem. However, the fog and foilage IS a problem. How can the DM be wrong for using these rules?

Granted, any DM who uses these all the time just to screw the rogue is not being fair. This is why being a halfling rogue kinda sucks until you save up for the goggles of night or belt of dwarvenkind. Depending on the DM, you may want to take a level of wizard or sorceror to get True Strike to bypass this. With this spell, you can still sneak attack someone with concealment since it ignores any concealment.

kreynolds

First Post
jontherev said:
Depending on the DM, you may want to take a level of wizard or sorceror to get True Strike to bypass this. With this spell, you can still sneak attack someone with concealment since it ignores any concealment.

Say what!?! No, True Strike does not allow you to sneak attack a target with concealment. The only thing the spell does for you is grant you a +20 to your next single attack. That's it.

AGGEMAM

First Post
kreynolds said:
Say what!?! No, True Strike does not allow you to sneak attack a target with concealment. The only thing the spell does for you is grant you a +20 to your next single attack. That's it.

Wrong again.

PHB, page 267.

Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

And although, I know it doesn't say flatly: 'you ignore concealment', I for one believe it to say so just using other words.

Last edited:

Darkness8Me

First Post
Ummm... this is the description of True Strike from the SRD...

The character gains temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during the character's next attack. The character's next single attack roll (within the duration of the spell) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, the character is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Sure sounds like he's not affected by concealment to me.

Remove ads