Can't sneak attack in dungeons?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
So "Light fog; moderate darkness; & light foliage" all grant a small amount of concealment (one quarter). But you cannot Sneak Attack a target with any concealment at all. How many DM's inflict this on their poor rogues?

Trying to backstab someone in a shadowy alley? Too bad, that's moderate darkness, 10% miss chance, no sneak attacks. I can imagine this would make for a lot of mad halflings.

I'm surprised that there is not a low level spell (like a weak Fog Cloud) that fills an area with "Light Fog". The 10% miss chance is small enough to not both the fighters, but it really shuts down any rogues trying to get the flank on you.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Xahn'Tyr said:

I'm surprised that there is not a low level spell (like a weak Fog Cloud) that fills an area with "Light Fog".

There is one... it's called Obscuring Mist. Page 233 in the PHB. Air Domain 1, Cleric 1, Druid 1, Sorceror/Wizard 1, Water Domain 1.

[Edit] Fixed grammar. [/Edit]

So what does that tell you? If you're going into an area with lots of Rogues, buy a Horn of Fog. It's only 2,000 gp.

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Xahn'Tyr said:
So "Light fog; moderate darkness; & light foliage" all grant a small amount of concealment (one quarter). But you cannot Sneak Attack a target with any concealment at all. How many DM's inflict this on their poor rogues?

Trying to backstab someone in a shadowy alley? Too bad, that's moderate darkness, 10% miss chance, no sneak attacks. I can imagine this would make for a lot of mad halflings.

Yup, dwarves and half-orcs make better solo muggers in pitch darkness. Gnomes and elves tend to mug by moonlight. Humans and halflings gang up and flank, or just plain getcha in the daylight.

Greg

phillipjp

First Post
Wow, he's right. This is quoted from the SRD:

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach a vital spot. The rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Oooo, is the rogue of the party gonna flip when I show him this. :D

EOL

First Post
That is very interesting, but it seems like if that's what the designers truly intended (All sneak attacks must be performed in a well lit room) they could have made it easier to make that connection. I don't know if I've ever had a rogue try and sneak attack through concealment, but unless there is an actual spell which specifies a certain concealment. I generally don't impose any, even in dark alleys and not at 5 feet away.

AGGEMAM

First Post
One could also try to apply logic to the rules *ducking head waiting to get slapped* in that to actually sneak attack someone you have to be within 30 feet.

I for one don't see how 'Light fog; moderate darkness; & light foliage' could be enough to conceal anyone within that range, maybe at more than 30 feet but certainly not at less.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: so...

Arravis said:
no sneak attacking in a shadowed alley? Come on guys.... this can't be right.

Where do you get the idea that the alley automatically provides concealment? If it's pitch black, yeah, that's concealment. Otherwise, the rogue can see just fine. There's no such thing as varying levels of concealment due to darkness. Either you're in the light or you're not.

kreynolds

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
I for one don't see how 'Light fog; moderate darkness; & light foliage' could be enough to conceal anyone within that range, maybe at more than 30 feet but certainly not at less.

I tell ya' what. Let's fill up my aparment with smoke, you stand on one side, I stand on the other, and I'll throw a dagger at your head. ;)

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: so...

kreynolds said:
Where do you get the idea that the alley automatically provides concealment? If it's pitch black, yeah, that's concealment. Otherwise, the rogue can see just fine. There's no such thing as varying levels of concealment due to darkness. Either you're in the light or you're not.

Exactly - it's not like one of the descriptions for concealment is "Light fog, moderate darkness, and light foliage". :rolleyes:

Remove ads