• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Cantrips, pros and cons

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
I find it really interesting! And it really presses hard on one of the changes I'd like to make to Bards...

At 5th level, Bards should be able to cast Vicious Mockery as a bonus action.
That sounds great. I think I'm gonna do that unilaterally. So bard players have something to do with their bonus action once they've run out of battle hymns and bardic inspiration.

Is it just me or is what a character does with their bonus action that defines a class? Everyone can cast a spell or hit something with an action. But for a bonus action only berserkers rage, rangers have hunters target, rogues cunning action...

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I find it really interesting! And it really presses hard on one of the changes I'd like to make to Bards...

At 5th level, Bards should be able to cast Vicious Mockery as a bonus action.

Oh! I missed this in the merge.

Yes. I think that would be good for the cantrip. Pushing it up to S tier because it would be usable far more frequently although it would clash with Bardic Inspiration and other in combat options. Bonus actions are often meant to be conditional on your main action compare with two-weapon fighting.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Oh. I don't know what the unwritten posting protocol here is.

I did do another post this time about the cantrips from Manual of Adventurous Resources which PMG kindly permitted me to reproduce the text of for educational and entertainment purposes.

Remove ads