• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Captured PCs and trust GM/players

StalkingBlue

First Post
Last session in my Midnight game, a bunch of NPC bad guys captured two PC freedom fighters and an NPC after a fight that went badly for the PCs. (Two other PCs fled but are currently still behind enemy lines.)

Through smart roleplay and a combination of brashness, wild and partly-lucky guesses and eager-minion-play, one of the PC prisoners managed to seed doubt in the enemy commander's mind on whether his prisoners are in fact resistance fighters as he believed, or in fact allies of his side working on some undercover mission - and on whether there might be other dangerous resistance forces in the immediate area.

Both PCs are badly wounded, one at one third of her hp total and the other at 1hp after two Cure Minor Wounds from the enemy commander Legate (cleric equivalent in the Midnight setting).

We'll be playing the resolution in ten days.

One of the players of the captured PCs remarked after the session how difficult it had been for him to surrender his PC - how in fact it seemed more difficult from a Gamist (challenge-oriented) point of view than a PC death. That comment, and thinking about how I want to run the upcoming session, made me remember how similar I've felt about surrendering PCs. I've done it, but it was never easy. For me it depends largely on how far I trust the GM - it's sorta uncomfortable to surrender much of the control over a PC I'm still playing, and especially to roleplay a scene with the PC captured.

Generally speaking I'm confident that the players whose PCs are prisoners trust me to run a fair game. They know I sorta root for the PCs, but run a difficult game and will pull no punches. They also know that I'm thinking that their PCs will have some sort of chance to get away, although they shouldn't expect escape/rescue to be automatic or independent of their choices and actions next game.

I have my NPCs' plans detailed - as always subject to what the PCs do to them of course. What I'm trying to figure out is how to _run_ the session - how much roleplay opportunities to offer, what to skip over, fast-forward, or obscure under a Veil.

I should stress one thing that keeps popping up in 'PC prisoners' threads on these boards. There's no way I'm using Intimidate on PCs. PCs can Intimidate my NPCs as much as they like, and there has already been a lot of Intimidating going on immediately after the capture. :] But short of magic coercion, if any PC chooses to cooperate / yield information / whatever, it's going to be by the player's free choice. (Could be not-so-free of course from an in-game point of view, if PC faced with difficult choice.)

Here's my question: As GMs and players, how have you dealt with captured PC situations? Were you comfortable running/playing them? Have you found trust (or lack of same) came into it? What was the best/worst/coolest way you've seen it dealt with?

(Edit: bolded text.)

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
As a player I usually trust the gamemaster that there is a fair chance to get free.

As a GM I generally do exactly that, give them a fair chance to get free, especially if the players have some cool ideas about how they want to manage that.

Bye
Thanee

randomling

First Post
Yup! That'd be the second thread that's come up after this session, I think...

SB - for the record, I trust you implicitly, wouldn't play in your game if I didn't. :) I'm really looking forward to the next session, too, and keeping your advice in mind!

am181d

Adventurer
Here's what I'd suggest: Provide the other PC's clues to track their captured comrades. Move the captured PC's to an interesting local. A army encapment or a slave mine. Give the captured PC's the opportunity to gain useful information or make alliances by interacting with other prisoners or soldiers or whatever. In tracking the captured PC's, the free PC's encounter some faction that is also interested in attacking the camp. (Enemies of the army or kin of the slaves.) This faction can lead a primary assault on the encapment, while the freed PC's can perform a more surgical strike to free the captured PC's. You can play out the PC's mission, but decide by fiat whether they overall assault succeeds or fails. (A good idea might be to give the PC's one goal, like "free all the prisoners", that will determine whether the assault succeeds of fails.) If the assault succeeds and the locale is overtaken, the PC's will have made some interesting new allies. If the assault fails, then the PC's may still be lucky enough to escape with their lives.

Now, I don't know if any of the above meshes with either your campaign world or your playing style, but the above scenario would allow you to further develop your bad guys, create some interesting allies for the PC's, and of course reunite your PC's.

StalkingBlue

First Post
Thanee said:
As a player I usually trust the gamemaster that there is a fair chance to get free.

As a GM I generally do exactly that, give them a fair chance to get free, especially if the players have some cool ideas about how they want to manage that.

I've surrendered my PC in a situation when it wasn't at all clear that there'd be a way out alive - the same is true for my players in the current situation in my game.

Of course in order to _resume_ the game where we left off requires a chance to get out, yup.

StalkingBlue

First Post
am181d said:
Here's what I'd suggest: ...

As I've said, I've got my NPCs' plans detailed (and I'm not commenting on them here at this point because I've pointed my players to this thread :) ).

What I'm interested in are details of what _you_ have done in the past. And as I've said above, not so much general ideas - I've got plenty of those! - but details of how you played out (or avoided to play) certain scenes, what was different compared to other RP stuff that you've done in your games, whether trust issues came up or not etc.

To say it again, here's my initial question:

"As GMs and players, how have you dealt with captured PC situations? Were you comfortable running/playing them? Have you found trust (or lack of same) came into it? What was the best/worst/coolest way you've seen it dealt with?"

Thanee

First Post
StalkingBlue said:
I've surrendered my PC in a situation when it wasn't at all clear that there'd be a way out alive - the same is true for my players in the current situation in my game.

With fair chance I don't mean, that it should be easy or anything. A slim chance can also be fair, depending on the situation that led to the capturing and other circumstances.

Bye
Thanee

drnuncheon

Explorer
I did this to my players once - actually, I wanted to start the next segment of the game with them captured. Rather than run them through some sort of diabolus ex machina that they couldn't win, I simply said: "Look, what I want to do requires you to be taken captive. I hope you're OK with that and trust me to make it fun." They were unsure, but the fact that I told them up front let them relax enough. I even let them write the details of the scene they were captured in (which I think helped).

So, not quite your situation, but it might help other DMs.

J

S'mon

Legend
randomling said:
Yup! That'd be the second thread that's come up after this session, I think...

SB - for the record, I trust you implicitly, wouldn't play in your game if I didn't. :) I'm really looking forward to the next session, too, and keeping your advice in mind!

SB, I trust you too! :)

Remove ads