• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Captured PCs and trust GM/players

adwyn

Community Supporter
The issue of DM trust is almost impossible to overcome, especially if the end result is bad. As a DM I've had to deal with prisoners several times and have developed a few rules of thumb. First, if the prisoners are going to be helpless for more than an hour of playing time I try to have an NPC for them to run. This helps relieve the frustration and boredom. If the whole party has been captured let them play their own rescue party. The key here is to let the Player feel empowered. Questioning and such can be dealt with by cutting back and forth witth "scenes" or by saving it up until the end.

My second rule is a page in my notes that lists various excuses for 1) PC's to escape 2) reasons why the guards have left the PC's equipment close at hand 3) (if necessary) inside assistance, be it the BBeg's daughter, treasonus assistant, a spy, or some one else who can help without it being obvious.

My third rule is Players hate being captured, and most hate it even more when they are released through no action of their own. The players running NPCs can help, but if necessary be prepared to let even the dumbest player plots and schemes work. It'll make them happy as long as they feel they aclmplished something and weren't simply spectators on a DM's ego trip.

Remove ads