Carbon 2185: cyberpunk on d&d 5e

The skills have been changed, the hp changed, and cyberpunk does not rely on grittiness or lethality as a fundamental part of the theme.

Witg weapons dealing more damage and lower HP you can change that really easily. I also haven't seen if they're implementing a shock or pain mechanic yet.

So it may not fit your idea of cyberpunk but it's incorrect to say it would not work period.

AiME has succesfully used the 5e ogl to create a tolkien feel and removed almost all of the magic commonly associated with d&d. It feels very different due to that, so I think there's considerable scope to do so for cyberpunk.

Bagpuss

Legend
Yeah, it could be! But I think that is the main point, rules-wise, that the designers have to address in making their pitch to would-be backers.

Exactly I was interest until it said it was built of 5th Edition D&D and then all interest vanished, and I LIKE 5th Edition D&D, I know a lot of people that like Cyberpunk aren't huge fans of D&D and its ethos.

I'm glad someone is trying, and the art looks pretty cool, but it is a "wait and see" for me.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My interest has been piqued enough to support it to the PDF rulebook level. We'll see how well they manage to pull it off.

I guess there is some videogame studio working in a future title using an advanced version of 5th Ed, but not medieval fantasy, but sci-fi or at least modern-age tech. And here they are learning a lot with their own internal playtest. The true challenge is to find the right power balance when PCs and/or enemies have got weapons. In the age of battle royal videogames players notice the difference when one or other has got this or that firearm. A goblin with a bow can't be the same challenging rating than other with a sniper rifle from the roof of a building or within a mecha.

MarkB

Legend
I guess there is some videogame studio working in a future title using an advanced version of 5th Ed, but not medieval fantasy, but sci-fi or at least modern-age tech. And here they are learning a lot with their own internal playtest. The true challenge is to find the right power balance when PCs and/or enemies have got weapons. In the age of battle royal videogames players notice the difference when one or other has got this or that firearm. A goblin with a bow can't be the same challenging rating than other with a sniper rifle from the roof of a building or within a mecha.
If your campaign setting doesn't have goblins with bows, it doesn't matter that the guy with the rifle is doing the same amount of damage as that notional goblin. And sure, different weapons will do different damage, but that's already the case - darts do less damage than bows which do less damage than crossbows.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, the game needs to be balanced within itself, not against other games that might use the same base system. So no notional goblins need apply.

But a bodyguard with a gun and a bulletproof jacket isn't the same than a member of a S.W.A.T with complete item. I said bow how example, but I could say other weapons as shotguns, submachines or molotov cocktails.

Don't you remember videogames as Resident Evil or Evil Within where the PCs has to hide in the beginning, but later with enough weapons and ammo can be an one-man-army?

And some players like to mix different titles, for example D&D + Cyberpunk to create his own d20 Shadowrun.

If you allow firearms then most of players will not want melee classes as monk, paladin or barbarian.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Why are you assuming that a Cyberpunk game based on 5E would use the 5E classes? I think it's pretty obvious that they wouldn't.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases