D&D 5E Carrying capacity

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
STR 20 = 300 lbs. without affecting speed, Large doubles that to 600 lbs.

If you use the variant Encumbrance rules, it drops to:
up to 100 lbs (STR x5), no affect on speed
up to 200 lbs (STR x10), -10 speed
up to 300 lbs (STR x15), -20 speed, disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use STR, DEX, or CON.
up to 600 lbs (STR x30), speed = 5.

All those values would be doubled for Large creatures.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
You can also keep the rule of cool for flavor if needed. For example, the PC wants to make armor for the roc and still wear his armor. Make some lighter weight metal that can fit the weight and only be one less AC as a compromise. A cool item may be some sort of expandable armor like in movies where plates slide out for armor when needed, but retracts for coolness.

A familiar roc who drops kegs of flaming oil.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
STR 20 = 300 lbs. without affecting speed, Large doubles that to 600 lbs.

If you use the variant Encumbrance rules, it drops to:
up to 100 lbs (STR x5), no affect on speed
up to 200 lbs (STR x10), -10 speed
up to 300 lbs (STR x15), -20 speed, disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use STR, DEX, or CON.
up to 600 lbs (STR x30), speed = 5.

Hope that helps.
...Huh. It never occurred to me that Large size or Powerful Build wouldn’t affect Encumbered and Heavily Encumbered values, but you’re absolutely right, nothing in the rules says they would. ...weird.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
...Huh. It never occurred to me that Large size or Powerful Build wouldn’t affect Encumbered and slightly Encumbered values, but you’re absolutely right, nothing in the rules says they would. ...weird.

Doesn't make much sense to me honestly, in fact seems to undermine the whole system IMO. If a STR of 20 has a carrying capacity of 300# what difference would size make? Wouldn't it make more sense to say that a larger size creature has a higher STR?

...Huh. It never occurred to me that Large size or Powerful Build wouldn’t affect Encumbered and slightly Encumbered values, but you’re absolutely right, nothing in the rules says they would. ...weird.
I would say it is because those encumbrance rules are not considered core rules. Even though they are in the PHB, they have a similar status as flanking etc. The rest of the rules are written based on the assumption Simple Encumbrance is being used.

Remove ads