Cartoons as RPG Settings

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Another great suggestion: Fullmetal Alchemist. This would work great in D&D 5E, especially if you borrowed elements from Eberron.

1653686090031.png

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Well, you'd probably want to go with a Wuxia-style system, to fit the theme and flavor of the cartoon. Not required, but it would keep certain elements from getting lost in translation. So if it were me? I'd pick Legend of the Five Rings, from Fantasy Flight Games, and then rework the World of Rokugan to fit the setting of Samurai Jack.

View attachment 249437

Considering how many robots and aliens there are in Samurai Jack, I think it needs a few elements from some other systems. I honestly don't know what, but the world has mechanical vehicles and high-tech firearms so not sure LotFR can cut it.

1653687105839.png

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Considering how many robots and aliens there are in Samurai Jack, I think it needs a few elements from some other systems. I honestly don't know what, but the world has mechanical vehicles and high-tech firearms so not sure LotFR can cut it.
Hm, that's a good point. I've only watched the first half of the first season of Samurai Jack, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I haven't gotten to much of the high-tech stuff. I've played plenty of Lo5R, though, and that game system is pretty flexible...but I admit, robots and vehicles might be too much work in the long run.

Hm. BESM also comes to mind, but...no. I don't think that would work either.

EDIT: Maybe OVA? It looks promising, but I've never played it.

Ulfgeir

Hero
I would like to see the following:

Macron-1 The system here need to be good for cooperation, relationships and the occasional battle. If it wasn't for the latter part, I woudl say Good Society.

Ulysseus 31 the system here would have to be something that was good for exploration. Maybe based on BRP?

And maybe Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. This is more gonzo stuf, but I think FATE Core here.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'd like to see an official Miyazaki RPG set in an original world of his design. I mean, I'd play a RPG set in any of his worlds, but having one designed specifically for a RPG would be amazing. As for cartoons that could successfully be adapted, I feel that One Piece is dead on. I also wouldn't mind seeing one based on the universe of Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers. Note that Pirates of Dark Water had an official RPG release, but it sucked, so seeing somebody do that correct would also be good.

Last edited:

Kevin Siembieda managed to produce successful RPGs based on the Robotech cartoon, as well as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic book...

20220528_134037.jpg

(Taken from this hilarious zine)
20220528_134009.jpg

Also, I recall that Mike Pondsmith's R. Talsorian Games did adaptations of classic anime Bubblegum Crisis as well as Armored Trooper VOTOMS... I even played a sexaroid repairman in a campaign of the former...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Galaxy Rangers!

Tbh I think 5e could do it, doing something similar to one of the various sci-fi 5e games out there.

I’d love to play around with the cybernetics, sentient robots, cool ships, weird aliens, psionics, etc.

Also the fantasy sci-fi cartoons like Thundercats.

Remove ads