D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

FWIW, it the 3rd option happened, and it really was done well, I could see myself adopting it when I am in the mood for superheroic-type games. It isn't often, but it happens. :)

Not to beat this horse, but that's not the 3rd POV, that's number 2.

The 3rd POV means if it was really well done and catered to your implementation, you would adopt it as a standard option for your D&D games.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with being a #2 and I appreciate your engagement. However, I do think #2s shouldn't be catered to in a mythical hero design process at the expense of #4s (and #3s for that matter).

As they stand, no there isn't. But that doesn't mean they couldn't be made. And having a PC who at 15th level has a subclass feature "Juggernaut" (you can smash through anything) and 18th subclass feature "Level the Field" (which you can slice a mountain in half or something) would seem pretty darn "fantastic and superheroic" IMO.

Yeah, I miss having more powerful feats with level prerequisites...
Ok.. "Level the field" is a great name for such an ability.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
New Solution: Spellcasters get one spell known per spell level. Because I don't want superheroic spellcasters.
Warlocks and Sorcerers would LOVE that. :D

If you don't want superheroic spellcasters, do it.

Just like if you want superheroic martials, do it.

No one is stopping you, on either account. ;)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ok.. "Level the field" is a great name for such an ability.

Digs through my martial practices... and finds

1. *Breaching Ram / Splitting the Mountain -- Dungeoneering or Athletics or Endurance→Passwall[12]
Breaching Ram, examining the barrier with care and applies perception to find weaknesses you hammer it with mighty blows, that undermine it further with final roar you spend a healing surge and bull rush attack you crumble what seemed an impossible to pass wall.

There could be more to it though obviously... Breaching ram use may well allow one to go through then collapse behind you and it doesn't leave the barriers structure intact. (unless the structure was pretty slapdash in the first place)

edit: added details

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
A lot of the posts in this thread are aiming for a bar wayyy past d&d clerics & wizards. Magic casters in multiple non-d&d works of fiction have been pointed to as a bar that needs to be met and at one point someone pointed to the feats performed by a bunch of demigods saying they were an example of mundane martials.
please tell us any power that has been requested that is NOT able to be done with spells?

HammerMan

Legend
Mostly because I think it would lead to even more widespread acceptance? A big issue such a variant would face, IMO, would be the "just more magic", so by avoiding implementing it in such a fashion you avoid that problem.
I disagree. Anyone who WOULD complain that it was just magic will just find a new complaint.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK I forgot this
1640354351303.png

Remove ads