D&D 5E Casters vs Martials: Part 1 - Magic, its most basic components

If you want the real numbers for true "mooks", I already did the math for you in an earlier post:

The truth is, no 5e fighter is going to be slaughtering 1000s unless you use naked mooks with 0 intelligence or tactics.
I believe this was the post where I was pulling the assumptions from, yes. And I think it's fair to say there is significant reliance on some "Keystone cops" level of competence for the enemies. I think that was consistent with your take on it.

And what do you suppose the bulk of an army is made of? 1st level fighters???
No, but typically armies are expected to actually win their battles. To increase the chances of success, "mooks" are organized and trained in effective tactics. They also tend to be led and commanded by non-Keystone-cops.

It's one thing to assume lesser levels of tactical optimization. Quite another to assume wholesale pervasive incompetence.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, but typically armies are expected to actually win their battles.
Against a 20th level epic level character? Not according to most of the posts on this thread...

To increase the chances of success, "mooks" are organized and trained in effective tactics.
They are trained, otherwise they wouldn't get to add their proficiency bonus.

They also tend to be led and commanded by non-Keystone-cops.
Ok, this is a valid point and something that should be factored in. I'll give some thought on how this might be done.

Anyway, happy holidays! :)

Against a 20th level epic level character? Not according to most of the posts on this thread...

They are trained, otherwise they wouldn't get to add their proficiency bonus.

Ok, this is a valid point and something that should be factored in. I'll give some thought on how this might be done.

Anyway, happy holidays! :)
You too!

..and in fairness, it is a build taking tons of attacks in a way that is pretty impressive..add in something like adamantine plate as @Stalker0 had done and it does get pretty silly for this particular scenario.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
add in something like adamantine plate as @Stalker0 had done and it does get pretty silly for this particular scenario.
I was going to originally since it is only an uncommon item, but combined with HAM and DR 3, the average dmg for the guard would only be 1. At least allowing crits, it is 5 still after the DR 3. It almost seemed to cheesy. 🤷‍♂️

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So, while yes, I agree casters also got magic items, their items (compared to the relative power o
I dispute that my 9th level fighter with his boring bonus items got anything as relatively powerful... too dm and campaign dependent, saw too many "low magic" campaigns that effectively nerfed martial selectively
Really? You consider the guard stat block, your basic soldier really, "poorly trained, poorly equipped Keystone cops?" Interesting.
well they are within range of the same ability as a level 1 or 2 apprentice level character then maybe
LOL, didn't I sing that upthread? :)
I think part of the issue is that 5e changes the dialogue between a high level character and a swarm of mooks. In older systems, you could expect the high level fights to mow through mooks like grass, but scaling wise that is not how it works in 5e. Now that's true for casters as well, for example its harder for a high level wizard to be "invincible" versus a mook mob like they were before, but considering their arsenal of area effects they certain have more tools at their disposal.

Just to throw in a little more fun math, I will try a more "mook" scenario, and give the fighter some actual magic items, just to see how things would go.

20th level Battlemaster Fighter
20 strength
16 con
HP: 210 (I just rolled second wind in for convenience)
AC: 22 (does not take critical hits)
Attack: +13 x4 (x8 in first two rounds)
Damage: 1d8 + 10

+3 longsword
Adamantine Armor
+3 shield
Dueling Combat Style (so +2 damage)
AC style (+1 AC)

"Mook Archer"
HP: 8
AC: 10
Attack: +2 (proficiency only)
Damage: 1d8

So these are guys with 10s in all stats, basic proficiency, but otherwise nothing special at all.

Scenario 1: Straight up
These stats actually make running the scenario pretty easy, fighter is going to kill a mook every time he hits, no crits to worry about and don't really need to think about maneuvers. We assume the archers are close enough in formation that the fighter can get to any mook he needs to, so its really about how fast the fighter can kill the mook before he is taken out himself.

Result: 20th level Fighter can take on 89 archers. 90 will result in their death.

Scenario 2: Swap Adamantine armor for +3 armor
Lets try a different magic item that is still very powerful, but not really that helpful to the fighter in this scenario. So now when the mooks hit, they are actually critting. Let's see how this effects the result.

Result: 20th level Fighter can take on 64 archers. 65 will result in their death.

Scenario 3: The most mook of mooks
So lets get really schlub. These guys have clubs, attack in melee, and don't let their buddies move in and get attacks (aka they are complete idiots). So they get 8 attacks a round, though they are crits.

Result: 20th level Fighter can take on 410 melee mooks.

Scenario 4: So mook you can't believe it
You thought the last scenario these guys were terrible. But ok, no weapons, no armor, just guys using their fist! (aka 1 damage a round, and since its not a die its not crit multiplied). And still 8 guys in melee a round. Lets see what happens!

Result: 20th level Fighter can take on 2005 melee mooks.
detailed analysis including crits and such helps put this in perspective a lot... large numbers of attackers are crit fishing by default, and treating squadrons of characters as a bunch of individuals seems problematic in the first place as in not something fun.

Hmm my 4e tempest fighter in melee can using the right ability like rain of steel probably down 10 enemies a round possibly more by move attack move and using other burst powers. I am picturing 100 rounds maybe a little less.... bah
The only hits on a 20 will kick in around 10 levels after the creature was a moderate adversary ie a level 13 vs individual soldiers (level 3 types). And even if hit a decent number of times (it still wont give crit damage boosts) the fighter in 4e could pull out something like boundless endurance.. even if the fight went 100 rounds I highly doubt the 13th level fighter would have defensive problems at all, and that is not counting the ways to get temp hit points

1640458256152.png

Using tools like swarm mechanics or squadron ones from level up makes the concept of wading into a hoard a lot more interesting

Last edited:

I agree with this. One thing I would love to see in D&D is tactical options actually worth doing. For example, consider knocking a target prone. Unless you have 3 or more attacks in a turn or you have allies nearby who can also benefit from the target being down, it is worthless because the target can simply stand up without hinderance on its next turn.

But how do you balance that so people aren't always just knocking opponents prone when that becomes the better tactic?
Asked and answered. This wasn't a problem with 4e where encounter and daily powers weren't repeatable in part because fighters paced themselves. Or you have an anti-spam protection in that if someone has already faced a given trick they get a bonus to defend against it next time because they've seen it before. This is a matter of implementation with multiple possible answers rather than something that should be addressed to the abstract void as if it was something overwhelming.
Interesting. So you want to steal another classes key features? Remember, monks are considered martials, too
If the wizard can steal the illusionist's key features (and range from Necromancer to Evoker to Bladesinger) and we have a game with both wizard and sorcerer I'm pretty sure that that ship has sailed.

The key feature of the monk is that they don't need armour and that they have their unarmed attacks. I have no problem with fighters moving fast - and monks faster. But the idea that because the monk exists the fighter should be less than a real world fighter is one I consider starkly risible.
When did I ever say I have a problem with characters that are "superheroic" in their capabilities, which the DMG actually states the PCs should be by tier 4. But that is in tier 4. In tier 1 the powers they have are not "superheroic", they are barely heroic, and when it comes to magic, that is because it IS magic.
And here's an example of you moving the goalposts. If you are going to run in front of a brick wall and yell at it of course you are engaging a brick wall.

Spellcasters are superheroic by your definition from Tier 1. You yourself have admitted that fighters are never superheroic. You yourself in trying to list superheroic abilities reached into tiers 3 and 4 for e.g. the rogue (stroke of luck being tier 4).
And the other martials classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, and Rogue) all have capabilities by tier 4 which I certainly do qualify as "superheroic capabilities". Primal Champion, Survivor, Timeless Body, and Stroke of Luck could all be "super hero" powers in a super hero RPG. But D&D is not a super hero RPG, despite even those martial classes having features which are "superheroic" IMO. Since it seems you feel differently, why do we keep hashing over the same material again and again?
And now you are arguing with yourself. You have just admitted that super hero powers should not be a problem at tier 4. You are literally saying that someone who remains spry into old age while still dying of old age is a superhero.

And as for "D&D is not a superhero RPG", that depends on your definition. As I have pointed out in AD&D 1e a level 8 fighter was literally called a superhero.
In a world of magic, where magic is real, casting a spell is not a superpower. Literally, in 5E, anyone can choose to play a Wizard, even with a INT 3. What that represents is the chance to learn how to utilize it magic to cast spells. Look at all the creatures that are casters and can use spells because they know how to utilize magic--either by arcane or divine or primal means? So how is a 1st level spell superheroic? It isn't.
In a world of fantasy physics being larger than life is not a superpower. Dragons should be too big to fly using their wings. Giants should be impossible by the square/cube ratio. Darkvision should be physically impossible. But they are taken as a given except when they are not.

Breaking the laws of physics as they stand in the real world is a thing in fantasy worlds because that is the only way they work. Yet somehow when people do it in the world that becomes superpowers. Someone can breathe fire because it is a spell? That's normal. Someone can because it's fantasy physics? That's a superpower. This is wholly and completely a double standard that has no purpose other than to dump on martials and by doing so utterly undermine fantasy worldbuilding. Because your world isn't fantastical your giants should just break their legs when they try to walk.

And even if this wasn't the case this would be entirely an aesthetic choice by you. It would boil down to "spellcasting is the sort of superpowers that I like and others aren't". Which is a defensible position for one set world - but should not be made into a general principle.
Consider Superman, how our Sun powers him (or whatever, I am not a comic expert...), is that magic? No. It is part of his superpowers.
All magic is is a subcategory of superpowers with a single common justification. And not even a remotely well defined category of superpowers. Superman has his powers because he's a Kryptonian under a yellow sun.
That is your opinion, obviously, not mine. IMO casting a 1st level spell, however awesome, does not rival capabilities which are always present once gained like those examples.
You mean that a first level spell is limited use? And that limits are useful in balancing things?
Since this is entirely a matter of opinion, there is no point debating it further. You can ignore the questions in my post, consider them rhetorical.
There is, however, a point in demonstrating thoroughly that your view even if it works for your game your attitude is entirely based on special pleading that only a specific subset of superpowers should be allowed so fewer others take it seriously and more recognise it for what it is.
Have a good game. :)
You too :)

Vaalingrade

Legend
Spellcasters are superheroic by your definition from Tier 1. You yourself have admitted that fighters are never superheroic. You yourself in trying to list superheroic abilities reached into tiers 3 and 4 for e.g. the rogue (stroke of luck being tier 4).
In their defense, they changed their definition to exclusively exclude spellcasters from being superheroic because 'magic'.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases