D&D 5E Casting spells with a Verbal component underwater

Should you be able to cast spells with a Verbal component underwater?

• Yes

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • It depends

Votes: 33 64.7%

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Should you be able to cast spells with a Verbal component underwater? On first thought, I don't think so. The PHB specifically says that you can't cast Verbal spells if you're gagged, so it would make sense that you couldn't cast Verbal spells underwater either.

On the other hand, Jeremy Crawford says that you can cast Verbal spells underwater as long as you can breathe underwater. And I guess that makes sense, but it raises other questions as well (Can characters that can breathe underwater speak normally underwater as well?).

Personally, I think it would be a cool restriction for players to work around in an underwater adventure if they couldn't cast Verbal spells. The only problem is that pretty much every spell in the game has a Verbal component. That's a pretty big restriction.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I'd say if you can breathe underwater, you can speak underwater, and that includes casting verbal spells.

If you can't breathe underwater... I'd still allow you to cast a verbal spell, but it costs you 1 minute of air (assuming a casting time of 1 action or less).

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I'd say if you can breathe underwater, you can speak underwater, and that includes casting verbal spells.

If you can't breathe underwater... I'd still allow you to cast a verbal spell, but it costs you 1 minute of air (assuming a casting time of 1 action or less).

Basically this. not sure if I'd knock off a full minute of air, but... something like this.

Oofta

Legend
I could see it going either way. You can't cast a spell while in a silence spell. On the other you can kinda talk while underwater and you retain your normal method of respiration.

Even if it's water passing over your vocal cords you still make sounds, albeit distorted.

In addition, it just seems overly restrictive for no real reason.

If you can't enunciate clearly, then you can't draw the attention of the Powers That Be, so you don't get a spell effect. Remember, you aren't just making mouth sounds; you really need to bellow an incantation.

At least, that's how I run it. It's more fun that way.

Shiroiken

Legend
I do something similar, but also require a Con save (as per a concentration save). I have the air loss as 1d6+spell level rounds, since this allows some amount of underwater casting at a risk.

Salthorae

For fun:

RAI there is no rule saying you can't cast. Crawford rules that you're not breathing at that point and immediately go to drowning.

slipshot762

Villager
There is a whole lot of "no rules saying" a whole lot of crazy things. There is for example "no rule" saying that copper coins planted in soil and dutifully watered cannot grow into trees which bear as fruit frost giant head sized rubies which imbue their owners with the ability to attack the entire world with a miasma of flatulence which kills everything with no saving throw. Maybe Crawford would like to rule on that?

Salthorae

Maybe Crawford would like to rule on that?

Why does everyone always have to go to hyperbole? 5e is designed to give DM's much more freedom to rule things however they want for their game/table/interpretation.

Crawford is the lead rule designer. He also offers advice for free on the webs on how to use/interpret those rules. No one is beholden to them, but they offer a good insight as to what the design team was thinking about on things when... you know... he designed them.

The question is about casting verbal component spells underwater. There are no rules for it.

Crawford says just that, there are no rules that prevent it.

Ergo the assumption should be that it works as normal, otherwise they'd have put a rule in like they did with underwater combat. Because why shouldn't it work? It's magic.

Then he points out that if you're talking, you're not holding your breath, i.e. ... common sense you start drowning because you just let a bunch of water into your mouth to get that spell off.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
There is a whole lot of "no rules saying" a whole lot of crazy things. There is for example "no rule" saying that copper coins planted in soil and dutifully watered cannot grow into trees which bear as fruit frost giant head sized rubies which imbue their owners with the ability to attack the entire world with a miasma of flatulence which kills everything with no saving throw. Maybe Crawford would like to rule on that?
I'm sure if you tweeted this to him, he would say "Talk to your DM." ;)

Remove ads