• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle Whiterock

Fathead

First Post
I had hoped to get this as a Christmas gift, but it didn't happen.

*grumble grumble*

I'm not even GMing right now, and I STILL want to pick this up...

:fathead wonders if the wife will notice the charge to our bank account...

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I got mine just a few minutes ago, one of those amazon warehouse deals (only $59.95 :). It's still in the amazon box since I am at work, it's supposed to be a bit damaged or opened but I won't know until I get home.

Man, this box is *HEAVY*!

EricNoah

Adventurer
My players oohed and ahhed over it last week at our game. Don't know exactly when I might be able to use this -- do I want to bring it into the current campaign, or save it for a new campaign? Decisions, decisions. Meanwhile, I am enjoying reading through it. I kinda wish one of my DMs would run me through it! :)

Jengenritz

First Post
You know, Eric, I helped write the darn thing and I feel the same way. It would be cool to see how the GM changed things around, or how they present the NPCs (of which there are a ton), that sort of thing. I really get a charge of seeing how people put their own twist on my material...like having someone guest-GM your homebrew campaign setting.
That's what cool about our game. Video games have set scripts - some far more flexible (Deus Ex) than others (pick a Final Fantasy) - but pen-and-paper games allow a guy to say:
"Hobgoblins...sure, lawful evil makes you think of Roman as a default model, but what if they were samurai instead?"

or

"I think the Impresario of the Bleak Theater needs to speak with a lisp. Sure, he's a duergar, but no one will expect that."

or

"I don't like the way this dimension door trap to Peduncle's grotto works...I'll change it to flame strike trap instead."

Honestly...does ANYONE run a game "as-is" out of the box?

I don't think so. I've never spoken to anyone who didn't make some changes to tailor it to their game or preferences. Guess I'm rambling, but that's what I love about pen-and-paper games...the freedom to make stuff my own.

Jack99

Adventurer
Just bought this yesterday ($156, ><), and after reading a good bit of the red book I must say that it definitely lives up to the hype so far. The writers have done an amazing job.

With 3.5 coming to an end (for me) this will be my first 4e campaign, which ought to be perfect, as it seems 4e will be better suited for dungeon-crawling than 3.5.

Cheers

Filcher said:
In my Greyhawk I'm using it for the Ruins up in Blackmoor. It's been a good fit so far.

Darn it, now I have to buy it too! I've been looking for some ruins of Castle Blackmoor for my Greyhawk, and the official book wasn't doing it for me.

Ant

First Post
haakon1 said:
Darn it, now I have to buy it too! I've been looking for some ruins of Castle Blackmoor for my Greyhawk, and the official book wasn't doing it for me.
Well, that tore it. Ordered and now eagerly awaiting delivery!

Remove ads