Castles&Crusades: Is this "The One"?

Jahydin

Hero
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt about it in the end. Like an ex-girlfriend with no hard feelings involved on either side, just not quite the right fit.
That's how I feel about older D&D. Great systems, but not to my taste for longer campaigns.

B/X, I didn't like the Race as Class, lower HD, death at 0 HP, no Cleric spells at 1st level, and axes being terrible.
BECMI, too many levels! Poor Theives...
AD&D had all the crazy rules that I'm sure were fun to create, but not so much to play. Also, I really dislike percentile Strength...
2E felt like a compilation of everyone's favorite AD&D houserules that tried to do too much with its dungeon-centric ruleset.

Jahydin

Hero
We ended up importing clerics being able to convert turning undead uses into heals from 3E into C&C to increase the pool of available healing, as I recall. Nowadays, I'd probably just go with the 5Eism of letting clerics always have cure spells prepared as a bonus free spell, so the cleric don't have to choose between being a medic and the fun spells.
Agree.
Was it 3.5 that let Clerics "convert" any spell into a healing spell if Good Aligned? Anyways, I use that.

Also, do you do that with OSR games as well?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Was it 3.5 that let Clerics "convert" any spell into a healing spell if Good Aligned? Anyways, I use that.
That's what I was thinking of, I think. (It's been a while, both for 3E and C&C for me.)
Also, do you do that with OSR games as well?
I'm playing Shadowdark and Pirate Borg for my OSR fix nowadays, and folks tend to explode into a red mist more than needing healing, per se, most of the time.

Remove ads