CB's Grim Frequencies IC -- COMPLETE

Shayuri

First Post
Death Otter giggles at Deena's observation and nods.

"I can see why. This stuff is pretty bad. It's like...okay, like, you know when there's some chicken left and it's been there awhile but it's not quite BAD yet, but you're not really sure about it so you cook it longer than usual, like overcook it a little just to be sure? And it comes out all tough and stringy, but under all that you can still taste that it's a little off?"

"This is like that." She eats another nugget of it and laughs again. "I'm probably gonna get pretty sick over this."

"Anyway! Indian curses, and coverups and murder by 'animal attack'. Cute town. Very Stephen King, if it was in Maine and everyone said 'Ayuh' all the time."

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Hearing about the animal attacks, for once Cyril was pleased about the weight of the gun against the small of his back. "Why is the state police investigating a local wildlife related death? That seems more of a local matter, or DNR maybe."

Shayuri

First Post
"Because sheriffs are local," Otter explains impatiently. "You're forgetting the coverup. You can't coverup with locals investigating. Even with oaths of secrecy and so on. They get drunk, they gossip, it's a little town, that's what people do."

"State police though...they come in from outside, they don't know anyone here. It's all job to them. They don't sleep here, eat here, drink here...they don't care. And no one cares about State cops either. Hell, most people only ever think about Highway Patrol on the state level. So it's perfect. You do a fake new article to soothe frayed nerves, get the middleman police involved...high up enough to keep their mouths shut, low-down enough that people don't get riled up. I mean, if the FBI or other Fedboys showed up, it'd be a riot. ALL eyes would be on it."

She eats another croco-chunk. "I need some ice cream with this. This is NOT going to be the last thing I taste before I die."

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Cyril looked at Otter oddly. "The Indiana State Police is organized into geographic districts. We're in District 52. The guys investigating are probably pretty local. Hell, could be one sitting at the next table."

Glancing back over at the former Mayor's picture in the paper Cyril said, "Says he was on the Alchohol Beverage Board. Judging by that nose, I bet he was..."

Fewell_Charles.jpg

Shayuri

First Post
"NNgh! You're just fu... Yes, they're in districts, but no, they wouldn't be using the local district for this. Because, as you noted, that would be RETARDED. If that was what they were doing, they could just use the sheriff, like the fake article SAYS they're doing. It would at least make the 'animal attack' BS marginally believable."

Shayuri

First Post
Death Otter laughed at that, in the manner of someone sharing a funny private joke. Then she stopped and looked narrowly at Cyrill.

"You're kidding, right? I mean, I love pretending to insult your intelligence, but I have to be sure this time."

She looks quickly around the table.

"Everyone sees this, right?"

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Feral shrugs, "Or, this could be another sign, like the talking bluetooth thing. You know, someone out there decided to plant a clue for us to follow at the Greasy Crocodile diner. Why the hell else would we be in a ridiculous place, like this?"

He glances at Deena, "No offense."

Forged Fury

First Post
Cyril flagged down the waitress. "Ma'am, do you know if you have any tin foil in the back? I can't finish my meal and I find it does a better job preserving the turkey." The former lawyer pointed, but it wasn't quite clear if he was pointing at his smoked turkey meal or Otter.

Shayuri

First Post
"And get me some ice cream," Otter instructed her, impervious to the veiled jibe.

She scrunched her face up then, as if in physical pain and put her hands to her ears. For a second she turned bright red, then suddenly let out an explosive breath and seemed to calm down again.

"Okay," she said, with exagerrated slowness and calm. "I'll walk us through it."

Death Otter took the newspaper and carefully un-scrunched it.

"The article," she said, "is fake. It is in a local paper, but written by a non-local writer, regardless of what the byline says. Getting Diana's name wrong was a noob error, so it was probably some junior analyst who thought he had better things to do than ghostwrite some hick town news piece. He hit Google for Chuck Fewell, dredged up a few random factoids...oh, he served on a board, oh he golfted with Acra...and then phoned the rest in. The only IMPORTANT part, as far as the authorities are concerned, is where they say the sheriff is doing the investigation. That's the misinformation. The rest is just...psh..."

She made a fist, then spread her hand wide and fluttered her fingers like a dandelion puff drifting away.

"The 'torn apart by wild animals' is patently BS. There's hundreds of thousands of species of non-insect animals that can be found in the United States. A small percentage can possibly do harm to a human being. A small percentage of THAT will actually attack human beings rather than flee. And of THOSE, only a HANDFUL can 'tear someone apart.' Which MEANS that when a Medical Examiner consults his Big Book of Ways for People To Die...my copy of that is on order by the way...they only need to check a very few things to verify that it either WAS an animal, or WASN'T. If it WAS, they can tell very easily what kind it was."

"Furthermore, an animal has no rights to infringe on, so there's no reason to withold that information if it's known. So IF you see 'torn apart by wildlife' it usually means either they KNOW what happened but don't want to SAY...which would mean it's not wildlife...or they DON'T know what happened, in which case it's ALSO probably not wildlife, unless it's escaped from a ZOO or something, so the Examiner can't figure it out."

Otter took a deep breath, getting louder as she went on.

"And since authorities outside the county are bothering to get involved at ALL, it's very obviously thought to be either drug related, homicide across state or country borders, or related to some other non-local crime which animals are GENERALLY incapable of performing!"

She pauses then and looks around at the attention she's starting to garner from other customers.

"Try the alligator," is her advice for them, delivered deadpan. "It's delicious."

Then she sits back down.

In a more conversational tone Otter says, "My educated guess is that the powers that be suspect these two cases may be murders, and their motive points towards a local Indian tribe. No way to tell if they have a suspect yet, but I doubt it."

"Goddamnit, is the ice cream not here yet?! It's a spoon and a bowl, not an assembly line!"

Remove ads