• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E celebrating pride and lgbtq+ players 2021

You’ve never had married NPCs? NPCs with male and female parents? An elderly couple running a tavern? Featured a wedding? Had a kingdom ruled by a king and queen? In 40 years?

Well, good for you. I guess, but that does make you very much an outlier.
They are clearly talking about PCs they've created.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Why? Ive been playing D&D and other role play games for over 30 years and have never given one second of thought to what the sexuality of any character i have ever created is.
Did you never give a second thought to their sexuality because that would've implied there was some doubt that it was anything from a "Default" similar to your own?

That's the case with most people. And probably the person referred to who also claims to have never made a Cisgender or Transgender character.

... which would mean never having ever created a character... Since it's a fairly binary position.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Gonna go ahead and drop this knowledge for folks: Singular "They" is older than the pronoun "You" or the article "The".

"They" comes from Old Norse-Germanic. "Sa". "Sa" was gender neutral and referred to one or many people. It became "They" in Old English, that is to say: English old enough that Shakespeare would've been like "Thy speech is most strange 'pon mine ear. Whither came thy mother and thy father?"

Along with "They" came Their, Them, That, and The. That's right. THE came from Sa. Again, this is -OLD- English, which was really more German than English as you'd recognize it, today.

Remember that "Thy" from Shakespeare? Thy became super common in use because the nordic Thin (Pronounced Thine) meant "Yours". And that became "Thou" which eventually became "You". And it only became "You" because the nordic letter "Thorn" was pronounced "Th" and looked a lot like a Y as time when on. It started þ and ended up EME that.svg. It's also why "Ye Olde Blacksmiths Shop" is a thing. The "Ye" is actually "The" but people mistook the Thorn for a Y.

"They" as a pronoun, singular and plural, is older than "You" as a pronoun. Ain't that somethin'?

And if you want something -confusing- in english, let's talk about NOSACOMP.

Number, opinion, size, condition, age, shape, color, origin, material, purpose. That is the appropriate english order for stacking adjectives. It's something practically no person learns in American or English elementary school, but we all somehow -know-. And the second someone gets the order wrong the dissonance hurts our brains.

You can have one ugly huge wet old long green American metal riding lawnmower... but you can't have a riding metal American green long old wet huge ugly single lawnmower.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Some female leaders actually preferred the title King to Queen interestingly.
Yeah, that is a cultural thing.

For example, in Egypt, Hatshepsut insisted on the ceremonial masculinity of being Pharaoh, including iconography depicting her wearing the ceremonial pharaonic beard, being addressed by divine titles such as "Bull", and so on.

In Egypt, there is a sense that the males and females of the pharaonic family are equally divine, where the male fights against external enemies in battles, while the female fights against internal enemies in courtly rivalries.

In these cases, the title "king" is precisely masculine, even if it is a woman who is occupying that governmental position.

And unlike other languages, English evolved into a nongendered language − so much so, the ancient legacy of gendered pronouns is starting to annoy us.
As a native speaker of a language that has no gendered pronouns (Finnish), I find the existence of gendered pronouns rather jarring. One of course gets used to it, but it certainly makes the gender binary to feel far more essential and a bigger deal than it actually is. Imagine how disturbing it would be if a language had different pronouns based on some other personal characteristic; ethnicity for example. :eek:

Last edited:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
As a native speaker of a language that has no gendered pronouns (Finnish), I find the existence of gendered pronouns rather jarring. One of course gets used to it, but it certainly makes the gender binary to feel far more essential and a bigger deal than it actually is. Imagine how disturbing it would be if a language had different pronouns based on some other personal characteristics; ethnicity for example. :eek:
As another finn, I concur. I’ve spoken english for most of my life. We are taught it at primary school. And even then, I still occasionally have trouble using gendered nouns. It’s just, he/his is unintuitive. He/her is much more obvious 😂

And hey-o! High five for fellow finn! Torilla tavataan!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gonna go ahead and drop this knowledge for folks: Singular "They" is older than the pronoun "You" or the article "The".

Let us get a citation from a reasonable source on this... The Oxford English Dictionary.

It amounts to - if you aren't still using thee, thou, and thy in your English, shut the heck up about singluar they.

imagineGod

Legend
Actually English is an amazing language. A small number of words to communicate effectively, but then a vast number of optional terms to specify technical jargon. Both simple and extremely precise if necessary.

And unlike other languages, English evolved into a nongendered language − so much so, the ancient legacy of gendered pronouns is starting to annoy us.
In terms of software objects, French is more logical in that for simple objects, the noun (core object) is usually written first before the adjectives (the qualifier attributes).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads