D&D 5E celebrating pride and lgbtq+ players 2021

Really?
I honestly had no idea
I've only ever seen it used positively by other LGBTQ+ individuals as a more inclusive term (rather than LGBTQ that omits ace, pan, intersex and more)

Regardless of how people mean it or understand it, when I hear alphabet, the first thing I think of is Alphabet, the parent company of Google. So seeing the phrase was confusing to me and I had to think for a couple of seconds on why Google was involved in this discussion. lol

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Really. Like someone reported it.

I've only ever seen it used positively by other LGBTQ+ individuals

Yes, and like some other words for people, when used by people outside the community, it is done so as a dismissive and derisive thing. Add on how tone is lost in text, and how on a site like this, nobody knows whether you are LGBTQ+... you can perhaps realize the issue.

ECMO3

Hero
I don't get it.

In 40 years of playing D&D I can never remember any characters with any kind of sexual preference.

I have never played a heterosexual character, I have never played a bisexual character, I have never played a homosexual character, I have never played a cisgender character, I have never played a transgender character. For the most part I have not DMed characters that fall into those buckets, labels and stereotypes, nor can I remember other players with such characters.

This is not a "thing" in the games I play and essentially every character I have ever played has been asexual with no defined sexual preference. To date, they have all had an identified a gender. So not binary, but not necessarily cisgender either. There were male characters and female characters, but I never put any effort into making them cis or trans and to be honest I don't know what the difference would be if I did. How is a cisgender Tiefling woman different than a transgender Tiefling woman. They are a female Tiefling regardless! To be clear I have played female characters with beards (mostly dwarves), and men who could not grow facial hair (mostly elves). I have played weak and small men, strong and huge women and vice versa. Were they cis or trans? I have no idea and I was the one who created and played them!

I just don't understand what exactly this is about and what exactly an "LGBTQIA+ setting" is as my games, including games in all published settings have been this way from the beginning.

Now if this is talking about discrimination against certain players, that is an entirely different story, but if we are talking about the game world and characters in the game, I do not understand what it means or what it is supposed to mean.

Last edited:

imagineGod

Legend
I don't get it.

In 40 years of playing D&D I can never remember any characters with any kind of sexual preference.

I have never played a heterosexual character, I have never played a bisexual character, I have never played a homosexual character, I have never played a cisgender character, I have never played a transgender character. For the most part I have not DMed characters that fall into those buckets, labels and stereotypes, nor can I remember other players with such characters.

This is not a "thing" in the games I play and essentially every character I have ever played has been asexual with no defined sexual preference. To date, they have all had an identified a gender. So not binary, but not necessarily cisgender either. There were male characters and female characters, but I never put any effort into making them cis or trans and to be honest I don't know what the difference would be if I did. How is a cisgender Tiefling woman different than a transgender Tiefling woman. They are a female Tiefling regardless! To be clear I have played female characters with beards (mostly dwarves), and men who could not grow facial hair (mostly elves). I have played weak and small men, strong and huge women and vice versa. Were they cis or trans? I have no idea and I was the one who created and played them!

I just don't understand what exactly this is about and what exactly an "LGBTQIA+ setting" is as my games, including games in all published settings have been this way from the beginning.

Now if this is talking about discrimination against certain players, that is an entirely different story, but if we are talking about the game world and characters in the game, I do not understand what it means or what it is supposed to mean.
Asexual is on the LGBTQIA spectrum.

I don't get it.

I find this incredibly hard to believe.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
That Wotc even takes the time to write about this topic is important.

I know some people like to joke about this or say "hey, I've always done it this way". Well. guess what - many people didn`t, and I can assure you that right now, the shitstorm is brewing how Wotc forces politics into their games at the usual places.

Especially on the internet, support for lgbtq+ issues is more needed than ever. Maybe some people live in a bubble where this isn`t important or where everybody has a "live and let live" stance. I can assure you, many people don`t have it that good, and talking about this topic in connection to a hobby can get you harrassed, threatened and even killed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't get it.

You’ve never had married NPCs? NPCs with male and female parents? An elderly couple running a tavern? Featured a wedding? Had a kingdom ruled by a king and queen? In 40 years?

Well, good for you. I guess, but that does make you very much an outlier.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I can see the ambiguity in the article, but I agree it's likely referring to campaigns in the real-world event sense, not the RPG-lingo product sense.
Looking past the all the corporate newsletter speak, it's nice to see a company that's actually donating the profits for its pride-event swag. Feels a lot less like a soulless cash-in.
Little concerned by the lack of the word "all" there though. How much of the proceeds is being donated? I realise that sounds intensely cynical... because yeah, it is. Wizards has made a lot of progress in making its products actually inclusive, but it's still a company, and I don't trust companies by default.

Remove ads