Celestial Patron Warlock, Blade Pact

Does your character NEED to be a bladelock? If you go tomelock you can get shillalah for a cha powered staff, and celestial warlocks can do extra damage with the green flame blade cantrip, which isn't compatable with the bladelock's second attack anyway. Pick up Moderately Armoured feat for medium armour and shield proficency early on.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
To get college of sword though requires a *three* level dip... but it does help a fair bit. You can go all out and go for a six level "dip" but that's now a bard with a warlock dip, not the other way around.

My version of the character Warpiglet alluded to is an EK 3/Hexblade 5. I got the chance to start at level 8 in a pbp campaign so...

Understood, I recommended grabbing 1 level of bard the playing striate warlock until warlock 9 / Bard 1 or warlock 12 / Bard 1 then picking up 2 more of bard. More to the point that I just think the bard is a better fit. If your going for the medium armor however, it would make since to grab 3 in bard early just for that. One thing with Warlocks is they are not hurt as much for levels lost after the first 3 multi-class because they only get 1 Eldritch Arcanum instead of losing multiple 9th level spells and spell slots your trading one specific inflexible once a day cast ability which doesn't hurt as much particularly if your not fond of any of the limited warlock 9s for your build.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Understood, I recommended grabbing 1 level of bard the playing striate warlock until warlock 9 / Bard 1 or warlock 12 / Bard 1 then picking up 2 more of bard. More to the point that I just think the bard is a better fit. If your going for the medium armor however, it would make since to grab 3 in bard early just for that. One thing with Warlocks is they are not hurt as much for levels lost after the first 3 multi-class because they only get 1 Eldritch Arcanum instead of losing multiple 9th level spells and spell slots your trading one specific inflexible once a day cast ability which doesn't hurt as much particularly if your not fond of any of the limited warlock 9s for your build.

This is true, to a point, but 2 considerations:

1: Most campaigns don't last to the point where you are getting level 9 spells. Planning a character to level 20 seems like a futile exercise to me.

2: Multiclassing in warlock may hurt slightly less, but it still hurts! Sure you don't "lose" slots but you lose higher level spells. My character would have access to shadow of moil and an extra ASI if he was single class for example.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Does your character NEED to be a bladelock? If you go tomelock you can get shillalah for a cha powered staff, and celestial warlocks can do extra damage with the green flame blade cantrip, which isn't compatable with the bladelock's second attack anyway. Pick up Moderately Armoured feat for medium armour and shield proficency early on.

This could be a viable option - the switch to the staff and the book would represent the character's shift from a warrior (if you start with a level of fighter) to one fighting using the Celestial Law (the book of shadows).

I normally stick fairly closely to the original design parameters, but this one might actually work very well for the OP under two conditions:
1) The important theme is warlock (preferably single-classed) focused on a staff, rather than the official Pact of the Blade
2) The OP is okay with the character splitting up their damage between two adjacent opponents

The combination negates the need for Strength entirely, and eliminates Polearm Master from the equation. Your Charisma works for magic and attacks now, and the only other stat you need is a Dexterity of 14. This frees up multiple ASIs, which you could plow into Constitution and Tough. AC 17 (not bad) and tons of hp is actually ideal for armor of Agathys, which can only do its job when you get hit.

You can actually put out 10 points more damage per round, but not all to one target due to green flame blade. Pretty nice, unless it is important to you to be able to focus all your melee fury on a single opponent.

ClaytonCross

This is true, to a point, but 2 considerations:

1: Most campaigns don't last to the point where you are getting level 9 spells. Planning a character to level 20 seems like a futile exercise to me.

2: Multiclassing in warlock may hurt slightly less, but it still hurts! Sure you don't "lose" slots but you lose higher level spells. My character would have access to shadow of moil and an extra ASI if he was single class for example.

Ok, Let me clarify, the OP asked for a Warlock concept Direction as one class. I provided one. OP asked what Options would be best for multi-class particularly considering Bard and Divine Soul Sorcerer. I recommended bard for thematic and practical reasons. I am not recommending going striate warlock or multi-classing warlock. I am just makes suggestions based off of the questions asked.

On your 2 points, If we say the OP starts with Celestial Warlock 1-5 (Human Variant: Polearm master) then Bard Collage of the Blade 6-9 then your under your 9 level suggestion and you get your ASI back. Op gets the Key invocations of Thirsting Blade and Eldritch Smite. Sure the don't get Shadow of Moil, but I actually didn't recommend it for this build even if they did go full warlock. It is a good spell. It does not fit the character premise and Hallucinatory Terrain is more powerful on warlocks than any other class as a travel rest and escape spell because the first hour of rest restores the spell slot used making it a 24 hour non-concentration spell with 0 lose if you make that first hour. The 4 levels in Bard would cause the lose of Shadow of Moil/Hallucinatory Terrain, more than that 2 eldritch invocations, hold monster and Synaptic Static but in return your getting 4 first level spell slots, 3 second level spell slots, 2 cantrips, 7 known bard spells (including: Bane, Faerie Fire, Identify, Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Blindness/Deafness, Heat Metal, Phantasmal Force, Silence, and Zone of Truth),medium armor proficiency, the ability to use your weapon as an arcane focus, Jack of all trades, song of rest, expertise, Dueling Fighting style (+2 damage per hit with the staff), Bardic inspiration, three Flourishes (defensive, slashing, and mobile), one skill of your choice, and one musical instrument (Hay those long trips need some music). So to be clear I in no way think your not getting your value in trade. I don't think ether path represents a week or bad option. Just a choice of which way you want to go.

ClaytonCross

"Does your character NEED to be a bladelock? If you go tomelock you can get shillalah for a cha powered staff, and celestial warlocks can do extra damage with the green flame blade cantrip, which isn't compatable with the bladelock's second attack anyway. Pick up Moderately Armoured feat for medium armour and shield proficency early on."

This could be a viable option - the switch to the staff and the book would represent the character's shift from a warrior (if you start with a level of fighter) to one fighting using the Celestial Law (the book of shadows).

Ugh.... the age old How do I play a hexblade X? By playing a Tomelock! answer. Don't get me wrong I get the point its a workable Idea (so is going Hexblade patron instead) I just hate it when the reply to asking how to do one thing results in "do something else". In fact, the OP pre-imbed that a bit.

"So I am envisioning a former mercenary veteran who was reasonably honorable, but became involved with a very, very angry angel he now is instructed by."

"4. I am going blade pact. For thematic reasons, thinking staff as main weapon and likely polearm master at some point. Not optimal perhaps? but its OK. I imagine the pact weapon changing appearance for different spells and functions. Iron on end looks like fist when smiting, hand open and holds glowing orb when casting light, etc."

"Can't wait to hear up some ideas and recommendations! The ONLY ONE I really don't want is "just play paladin." It is not what I want to do. The image of a guy in a scale shirt with cloak, hood quarterstaff and arcane things is where I want to go!"

Now pact of the Tome might keep with that image but I feel like their is some investment in #4.

… Rant done.

Ok, Yes, I can see this working... An alternate suggestion taking the same path. Human Variant: Magic initiate Druid, take Shillelagh as one of your cantrips. Make your staff your pact weapon but you can still cast Shillelagh on it and you can still be Hexblade.

Str:10 Dex:14 Con:16 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:16 with Armor of Shadows 13, +2 dex = AC15

So one issue is the 1 turn delay. Round 1, cast mage Armor with Armor of Shadows and cast Shillelagh (1d8 +3 from Cha, Magic and doing two handed versatile damage with one hand) both are cantrips for you so this is 100% repeatable but you can't join the fight until round 2.

Pick up Moderately Armored at 4 means you can engage in round one, casting shillalah as a bonus action then attacking with the action, but at that level you really want hex and polearm master working. So you take polearm master and 1 round delay so that your doing more damage the rest of the fight... but your also taking more with your low AC15 until level 8 when you pick up Moderately Armored but can likely go striate to Halfplate AC15 +2 dex = AC17... if you can except the shield +2 then AC19.

That gets you up and running but now your level 8 BUT your still at 16 CHA because you have only used ASI for feats. So your REALLY going to need to take +2 CHA at lvl 12 & 16. Your one ASI behind, but after level 16 your actually better off, however your low AC and 1 round combat delay until lvl8 is 4 levels of real hurt between 4 and 8. If your only averaging lvl 7-9 characters I am not sure its worth it. If your playing to lvl 20 it is because late game levels take longer as a rule so you will be stronger a lot longer than you will struggle. At the same time higher AC means more at lower levels when enemy attacks are lower. Near level 20 you basically expect everyone to hit because to hit improvement out weights high AC.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

If you take Magic Initiatiate: Druid shillelagh is powered off wisdom, not charisma.

You are correct. I had a brain fart. ugh... trading Strength for wisdom is not a good trade unless your the party scout. Pact of the tome lets you use it with charisma but your then you need to take booming blade/green flame blade from warlock to make up for the lose of Improved Pact Weapon, Thirsting Blade, and Eldritch Smite … not sure it can make up for Lifedrinker If you don't reach level 12 that doesn't matter. At the same time this is a far departure from the original design now and I am not sure its really what the OP wants.

Again its a sad statement that a thread on making a good Bladelock always devolves into making a Tomelock… unless your bring it back to the hexblade the OP didn't want.

I think my dex build works... but then that is also not what the OP wants.

Human variant with Defensive Duelist
(+2 scaling to +6 to AC as a reaction, Like shield without spell slot which is key for a warlock but it doesn't last beyond one attack)

(Studded Leather 12, +3 dex = AC15 (17 for one attack per round if needed) with 1d4+3 dagger 1d4 off hand dagger +2d6 hex?

Str:10 Dex:16 Con:16 Int:8 Wis:8 Cha:14 <--Higher HP than the above builds -or- switch Cha & Con.

- Upgrade the main hand weapon to a shortsword, scimitar, rapier, or get this... Whip with reach... since your proficient with your pact weapon and its finesse. If you do this stay 20ft from allies so that enemies have to leave your treat to engage allies. This doesn't help after you trigger Defensive Duelist but sometimes your GM will forget you used it and stay to prevent opportunity attacks, but also defensive duelist triggers ON HIT so its never wasted on misses, AND more importantly you make a larger area for opportunity attacks so enemies need to make bigger circles to avoid you and head for allies. Not a bad option for a tank. Consider Sentinel with this build since anyone trying to skirt by in whip reach will be stopped in place if hit. This means reactions are at a premium and bonus actions for the dagger off hand attack. That is not a bad thing because many players waste reactions and bonus actions you will be using them constantly.

- take Duel weilder at level 4 for +1 AC, Base AC16 Defensive duelist AC19
- Defensive Duelist, At character lvl5 is +3(AC18), lvl9 is +4(AC19), lvl13 is +5(AC20), and lvl17 +6(AC21) making it not as good a shield but scalable so it should never be useless.

Last edited:

What the OP wants is to persuade their DM to give them a finessable staff.

There are other options if you leave out one of the initial stipulations. Such as race = Tortle.

Remove ads