Ceramic DM - Spring 2005 (Late Bloomer) - Signups complete

BSF

Explorer
Hello folks,
After a long break between contests, I am finally announcing the next Ceramic DM. We are catching the Spring 2005 edition late, but I am hoping the break was good for everyone. Though this is Alsih2o's contest, I will be organizing this particular competition.

Ok, some of you are probably wondering what the heck Ceramic DM is. The quick answer is that it is a story writing competition. You will be given a set of pictures and you will have 72 hours after the pictures are posted to complete a short story. That story will be judged against your competition and the winner will advance to the next round. But really, if you want to know more, then you should check out the Ceramic DM FAQ for Fiction thread. Read through the FAQ, check out past contests, then join up and try your hand at it.

You read the FAQ and you want to know what the parameters are for the upcoming competition? OK, great! Open the sblock below for the initial parameters.

[sblock]First of all, let's talk about the judges. Aside from myself, Maldur and Rodrigo Istalindir will be judging. Maldur has judged several Ceramic DM contests while Rodrigo and I have previously competed. Special Note: I am also looking for a fourth member of the judging panel. I need somebody that is willing to write critiques, but will only provide a judgement if something strange arises. If you are a previous competitor and are willing to write critiques, please email (bardstephenfox@yahoo.com) or PM me. Be sure to put "Ceramic DM" in the subject line. We have added Macbeth as our fourth judge.

Second of all, let's discuss sign-ups. I am allowing 1 week for sign-ups. I will match folks up in the evening hours of June 13. My local timezone is Mountain Daylight, so any references to morning, afternoon, or evening are from that perspective. We need a minimum of 8 competitors and would prefer two alternates in case anybody needs to drop out. However, if we have 12 confirmed competitors, we will consider running the first round with three competitors in the opening bracket. We have decided to expand out this contest to accomodate 12 competitors. That means the first round will consist of 4 matchups with 3 competitors in eac. The best story will move on to the next round. If we have at least 16 strong competitors, I will poll the judges and see if we want to run a full bracket. With 16 competitors, we are judging more than twice as many stories for a 8 competitor contest. So we will accept 8 competitors, we may accept 12 competitors, and If there are a solid 16 competitors we will discuss a full blown contest. I must warn you though, it is better to run a smaller contest with no dropouts than it is to risk having a competitor write unopposed. Sign-ups are on a first come basis, so sign up early!

Competitor confirmations will happen next. After I have matched everyone up, I will ask that everyone check in on Tuesday and confirm that you know when your pictures will be posted and that you are still in the contest. If you don't check in on Tuesday (June 14), then I will reassign your spot to any alternates that are available.

Pictures will begin being posted on Wednesday June 15. I will edit the pairings and menu links into the top of this post. I will also change the thread title. Feel free to mark this thread for subscription so you can keep track of the contest as it unfolds. I plan to post pictures on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Tuesday for the first round. If you have a preference, feel free to put in a request. However, I don't make any promises that you will definitely get your preferred day for pictures.

Once we have a pretty solid idea of how many competitors we will have, and a fourth judge, we will set some expectations on when judgements will be posted.

One note for everyone in the States: It is likely the contest will overlap with the Fourth of July. Please be sure you will be available during that time if you want to compete. That stands for all the competitors, but it seemed prudent to mention it. :)

Perhaps Alsih2o will stop by and help us kick off the contest? [/sblock]
Any other questions? Please feel free to post them.

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
I wish I could compete, but we are moving house in under two weeks.

Good luck to everyone! (Crush their tiny souls for the juices BSF) ;)

BSF

Explorer
Alsih2o, where are you moving to? Maybe I missed this discussion in another thread? I have been getting my own household moved and have been busy as heck at work.

Macbeth

First Post
Hhmmmm... It's a little easier for me to read stories then to write them from my current work enviroment. I think I'll offer to take the fourth judge slot, and if somebody else ends up doing that I'll look at the possibility of writing.

Berandor

lunatic
Macbeth said:
Hhmmmm... It's a little easier for me to read stories then to write them from my current work enviroment. I think I'll offer to take the fourth judge slot, and if somebody else ends up doing that I'll look at the possibility of writing.
I'm the other way round :)

alsih2o

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Alsih2o, where are you moving to? Maybe I missed this discussion in another thread? I have been getting my own household moved and have been busy as heck at work.

Middle of nowhere, WV. :)

Great house, small town. Right near the Wv/Va border.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases