• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ceramic DM Winter 07 (Final Judgment Posted)

FickleGM

Explorer
Now for Berandor...

[sblock=For non-judges only]A very good story. I don't know how well it will hold up against Piratecat's, but I liked it. The beginning and body were excellent, but the end felt off. Unfortunately, I'm not the best a reviewing/criticizing, so I can't say what exactly got me. Part of me wanted to see more of Adam's rampage...I think that was it...the story ended before I was ready.[/sblock]

Berandor

lunatic
Gabriel said:
Now for Berandor...

[sblock=For non-judges only]A very good story. I don't know how well it will hold up against Piratecat's, but I liked it. The beginning and body were excellent, but the end felt off. Unfortunately, I'm not the best a reviewing/criticizing, so I can't say what exactly got me. Part of me wanted to see more of Adam's rampage...I think that was it...the story ended before I was ready.[/sblock]
[sblock]Thanks. Funny, I wanted to see more of Adam's rampage, too, but I was afraid to bore the judges. I wanted to cut to the chase.

And Piratecat messed up a link to a picture – that'll be my in :)[/sblock]

Gulla

Adventurer
Argh!

Two stories to read and no time :(

Gaming night tonigh, and I'm just back and should go to bed. No comments until tomorrow morning (my morning, CET)

Håkon

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
[sblock=For tadk, not judges]

tadk said:
But Piratecat, you made me doubt my ability to write.
Easy win for Rodrigo this round (well against me when is it not :) )
Buddy, if this is true, then I fail. The only way that any of us get better is to draw inspiration and ideas from the other writers. What, you think I don't learn from you and Berandor and everyone else? Hardly. I'd be really disappointed if you did the opposite of this, just because someone wrote a story that is different from the one you would have written.

Do your best work. Make yourself proud. And I for one can't wait to read the result.

- Kevin[/sblock]

By the way, tadk, have you ever listened to Mike Doughty's Poemfone? He's the lead singer of Soul Coughing and has some great solo albums, and Poemfone is his spoken word free verse. As I read your last story, I heard the whole thing in his voice, and it was a wonderful experience.

Last edited:

carpedavid

First Post
Well, I've got a story, of sorts. The question is whether I'm going to have time enough to tell it all.

Also,

[sblock]This story has considerably less pathos than the previous one, but considerably more rockabilly. If only I could attach a soundtrack.[/sblock]

I haven't had a chance to read PC and Berandor's stories, yet, but it sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Gulla

Adventurer
So, finally time to read and comment.

[sblock]
Ok, this time I must admit i cheated and read the short comments from yesterday, since I didn't have the time to read the stories then. That might have influenced me, of cource.

Piratecat A really strong story, but I'm not as impressed as many others. It has no obvious weaknesses, a well described main character and a good narrator (I feel that Parker is the main characterer and the narrator is the sidekick telling the story. Much like Dr. Watson and Holmes). But still for me there is something not quite to my liking, but it is very hard pinpointing it, so for the first time since school I'll try dissecting the story (or analyse it, as the proper term probably is ;) ) I haven't done this in 20 years or so, so bear with me...

Even though written in 5 parts, the story is really divided in 4. First in Florida we get introduced to the characters and the setting and plot. A lot is not said, but enough to set the mood and get the interrest of the reader. I felt maybe allready at this stage that I knew which story I was reading, and that might be what is giving me the "this is great, but..." feeling.
The second part show us more about the (possible) conspiracy to stop the Armageddon and the power of a almost returned Messiah. It lacks drama to me. The lowtoned murder shows very much how cold blooded Parker is, and he still seems like the untouchable killer. But the no fuss murder is in too much contrast to the strong emotions of the narrator. To me the scene dillutes or weakens the emotional experience so it doesn't really hold the impact it should to build up to the last scenes.
The third part has the dervishes giving information, which is the one place I feel the pictures dictated the story. It is not far fetched or anything, but I feel it is a bit too sudden. Maybe some hint earlier would improve this scene. The other section of part 3 is the, to me, expected "I need a diciple" speach. It felt very much like the scene near to the end of Men In Black: "I haven't been training a partner, I have been training a replacement" At that point I knew the ending, which is a bit sad.
The last part is very nicely done. The total and enormous power of the Messiah, even in a normally disgusting vessel, is shown, and the narrator shows that Parker's work over the last weeks did work. I "knew" the end beforehand, but the writing is very strong in the last part, so I didn't feel as let down as I had expected when no sursprise apeared.

So, that was the dissection, and I'm still not sure why I have ambivalent feelings about this story. It might be that I have seen it a bit too many times (hey, I've even used it as a GM a couple of times), but the writing is good, the picture use is brilliant, except maybe the dervishes which is only good. It feels like a good story, but to me this one is only almost perfect.

Berandor I have been writing these comments while reading, and was goint to start this with "you really have something to compete against here", but right now I feel like moving that comment up to Piratecat. This was also an excellent story, and this one hit closer to home for me. First the story of the Dan losing the love of his life and being burdened with a parody of a child. The trip leading to his suicide and the small hints that Adam is something more than just a deformed child is nice foreshadowing. The courtroom use of the picture is inventive and the use of the rather plain and boring book-sale picture is brilliant. It shows how low Dan has fallen.
Then the story of Adam. Suddenly we see what he is, and it is a good confirmation more than a surprise. A super intelligent boy caught in a misshapen body. And then we get to see that he is not nice... I was actually surprised at that as I hadn't seen any indication before, but it still made perfect sense. The test run on his "brother" is a very good use of the egg-picture. And only showing the results of studies and work on a new body works very well.
I feel the ending is a little bit short. We have no hint that he is being chased, but seeing the world through Adam's eyes, this might be expected. Maybe some scene showing how sloppy he is or something might have been done. Or maybe a run in with someone to show how solid his new body is could have done it? The EMP-gun to shut him down works nicely, though, and waking him up to be executed is very nice.
The end is very good, I think, and classical. Failing in a "simple" thing like looking at the Prince at night, or speaking, ruins the magic and in this case ends Adam's life.
I can really only think of two things I would have changed in this story. There should be a scene with Rachel dancing in the first part or early in the second part where the picture should go. Placing the picture at the end with the brilliant "Mother," picture seems like a throw-away. Maybe a sentence or two added (and the picture) when Adam first experiences his new body would be the best place. If he imagined dancing with his mother then or remembered it in the third paragraph in the second part (which could not be after birth, but he remembers thing from before birth, so he could have experienced it) the ending would be even better, and you would have avoided two pictures in the end scene.
(Hmm, that seemed unclear. The two things I would suggest changed is:
having the dancing picture earlier and
having a better foreshadowing of the dancing. Maybe that could be the very first thing Adam remembers?)

So what I am sure of is that this is one of the very best pairs of stories I've seen through the years of CDM, and I'm very happy not to be judgeing it. Brilliant work, both of you.[/sblock]

Håkon

Berandor

lunatic
More details for my esteemed opponent:

[sblock]Really an excellent story. I find it risky to write in present tense, and it works only in shorter stories such as these. Here, it mostly plays a part in the opening paragraph, drawing us right in, and in the end, when it really seems like present tense, i.e. we're reading about armageddon right now. One thing I just now noticed: we don't know whether the narrator hits; could be the story ends because a moment later, all he has to say is prayers :)

I know when I end up writing three hours at a time and not noticing it, it is a sign that I really got into the characters. It seems the same happened to you. Your story is almost like a Sherlock-Holmes story, with the narrator being the sidekick. The "hero" of the piece is very well drawn; he's the strong personality that draws us in. The narrator, on the other hand, is the one who changes from a non- to a true believer. Looking at my story, I don't have this kind of characterization, and I see in yours how important it is.

The story starts off brilliantly, with the target practice not being totally explained, and the sentence about Parker killing children to save the world hooks us and never lets us go. The second part with the bookstore sign is expository, and important, though I didn't fully understand what the bookstore sign had to do with it and where the thirty percent came from. I understood it as a sort of viral marketing that Christ is coming, yet with the bookstore – did the parents publish a book about their holy child? This part is also where I as a reader think Parker is totally off his rocker. I don't necessarily think he's wrong, but there's no question he's mad, too. And that makes this character all the more interesting, especially since he's not sanctified in the end. He may do the right thing, but he's not a very stable person.

The third part, of course, is where we learn it's true. Again, I'm not sure whether the dinosaur egg is supposed to signal something (maybe the evolution debate?), and I'm still unclear about how Parker killed the boy. The thing with the emergency services is creepy. A truly global conspiracy? I'm not sure how it would work, but I accept it. On first reading, the next part seemed to me the weakest of the story, constrained by the picture. Perhaps that was myself talking, because that was the image I had the greatest trouble with fitting into my ideas. Now I think you really made it work; having this dance to locate Christ, and only noticing it when suddenly Christ appears? I would have liked to be there when the first one was born, must have been quite the discussion afterwards.

Of course, the ending is wonderful. I wonder why god's son appears in such a form ("one of these"), but that's all. In the end, the biggest hurdle I have to accept in this story is not that the christian spirit jumps from slayer to slayer, but that such a thing would come about and that we'd get a global conspiracy to reign it in, and that no faithful heard about it and put up their own troops. As a matter of fact, I expected Parker to be hunted by fundamentalist ninjas or something. But that is easy to forget or accept because the story is simply very well told, very tight and exciting. Great work.

For a moment, I thought I might still have a chance based on picture use :), but now I'm not so sure. The pictures all have a place. I mean, who knows? Maybe I strike a chord or something. But it's no shame to lose to your entry, and truth be told, I'd hate to see you out of the competition after this story. It seems it's true what people say; you really can't win them all :)

Edit: After reading Gulla's comments, forget it! I'm gonna kick you out! :D[/sblock]

Last edited:

Berandor

lunatic
Gulla:
[sblock]

Berandor
I feel the ending is a little bit short. We have no hint that he is being chased, but seeing the world through Adam's eyes, this might be expected. Maybe some scene showing how sloppy he is or something might have been done. Or maybe a run in with someone to show how solid his new body is could have done it? The EMP-gun to shut him down works nicely, though, and waking him up to be executed is very nice.
It seems I should have trusted my feelings. As I said above, I wanted more, but was afraid it'd be too much. Damn rationality! :)
The end is very good, I think, and classical. Failing in a "simple" thing like looking at the Prince at night, or speaking, ruins the magic and in this case ends Adam's life.
I can really only think of two things I would have changed in this story. There should be a scene with Rachel dancing in the first part or early in the second part where the picture should go. Placing the picture at the end with the brilliant "Mother," picture seems like a throw-away. Maybe a sentence or two added (and the picture) when Adam first experiences his new body would be the best place. If he imagined dancing with his mother then or remembered it in the third paragraph in the second part (which could not be after birth, but he remembers thing from before birth, so he could have experienced it) the ending would be even better, and you would have avoided two pictures in the end scene.
(Hmm, that seemed unclear. The two things I would suggest changed is:
having the dancing picture earlier and
having a better foreshadowing of the dancing. Maybe that could be the very first thing Adam remembers?)
You know, now that you mention it that would have been a great idea. I was a little worried because my first idea was to bookend the story with the dancing picture, and I didn't want to do that again. Now I think I took the wrong instance away.

So what I am sure of is that this is one of the very best pairs of stories I've seen through the years of CDM, and I'm very happy not to be judgeing it. Brilliant work, both of you.
Thank you for your comments, you're giving me hope :)[/sblock]

tadk

Explorer
Thank You

Piratecat said:
For Piratecat not Judges please and thanks
[sblock]=For PirateCat :), not judges]

You totally did not fail
Not in the least little bit.
I on a personal sense define people who write in 2 categories
Writers and Authors
right or wrong how I see it.
I know I am a writer, and more a poet than a stock prose writer at that. Sometimes prose really is difficult for me, poems, dream sequences, journals and stream of consciousness all comes utterly natural to me. Trying to write dialogue is like pulling my own teeth ala "Castway" with Tom Hanks style at times. Other times it is not even that enjoyable. Heck in my 1 completed Nano novel I had under 10 lines of dialogue in 50k words.
So no you did not fail in the least little bit. I was just like wow. Hell I woke up this am, had a great start to my own story pop into the head, and I acutally freaking quoted your story to myself. normally takes 2 or 3 reads before I am memorizing fiction, and yours stuck on the first pass. Damn skippy kick posterior rock hard solid Dude.

Run with it, it totally worked, and I wish I knew the nomination process for SF awards. Mean that.[/sblock]

By the way, tadk, have you ever listened to Mike Doughty's Poemfone? He's the lead singer of Soul Coughing and has some great solo albums, and Poemfone is his spoken word free verse. As I read your last story, I heard the whole thing in his voice, and it was a wonderful experience.

Hi Kevin, Nope never heard of that person. I will google and wiki once done posting this response and see what I can ascertain about them. thanks for the direction and you are right, most of my writing sounds better spoken than read. Guess I have stood in front of too many people reading my poetry to have it not sound that way regardless of the topic.

Thanks for the kind words too.

Remove ads