• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Challenge: Post your Unique Outsiders here!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Challenge: 10+ CR, UNIQUE Outsider where the base creature has a CR no higher than 4. And you can't six pack 'em! Base creature must be an animal, beast, fey, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid and be from the Monster Manual only.

Templates must be from an official WotC source (i.e. Savage Species, Manual of the Planes, etc.) or be available through this forum. Templates must be appiled properly in the correct sequence. Krishnath is pretty good at deciding that so he'll be the judge. However, the best creature will be chosen by me.

The creature MUST include a full writeup and should be spellchecked and grammar-checked intensely. Extra points will be awarded for extra bits such as new spells, unique magical items, cohorts, and anything else your twisted, little minds can think of.

[While this is for fun, perhaps one of my friends from Silverthrone Games might take and interest. (No promises though.)]

Let the templating begin!

KF72

Edited because I can't spell.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Here are some sample 'Homebrews' inspired templates compiled by me as an attachment.

If someone would prefer a text version then send me an e-mail.

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• templates-from-the-internet.doc
    102 KB · Views: 134

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kitsunekaboom said:
When you say unique outsider do you mean one from scratch, any creatures with any templates as long as it ends up and outsider, or what?

When I say unique, I mean a unique named character that is an Outsider. The idea is to start form a standard base creature like I stated above and turn it into a 10+ Cr Outsider than is unique.

Also, you can simply create a 4 level PHB race character and then add on templates to make the character a unique Outsider.

Regardless, it should be done in Monster Manual stat format.

Cheers!

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Andrew D. Gable said:
Count me in, I'll see what I can whip up (can I use The Serge's templates for archdemons and such? If not, tis cool).

If a template is posted anywhere in the Creature Catalog Forums you can use it. All you have to do is provide a link to it.

Later,

KF72

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
The gauntlet has been thrown, prepare for battle. Dueling beasties! :)

The Architect (Monstrous Spider, Huge + Earth Elemental + Psionic + Half-Fiend)
Huge Outsider (Earth, Evil)

Hit Dice: 10d8+20 (65)
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 40 Ft, climb 30 Ft, Burrow 30 Ft., Fly 40 Ft. (Average)
AC: 21 (-2 Size, +4 Dex, +9 Natural, +4 Deflection)
Attacks: Bite +12 Melee, 4 Claw +7 Melee
Damage: Bite 2d6+9 and poison, Claw 1d8+4
Face/Reach: 15 Ft. By 15ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Burrow, Earth Mastery, Poison, Psionics, Spell-Like Abilities, Web
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction: 5/+1, Darkvision 60’, Elemental, Immunities, Tremorsense, Vermin
Saves: Fort: +8, Ref: +7, Will: +3
Abilities: Str:25, Dex:20, Con:14, Int:4, Wis:10, Cha:4
Skills: Climb +15, Hide +11, Jump +15, Knowledge (Architecture) +3,
Knowledge (Planes) +3, Spot +12
Feats: Inertial Barrier, Speed of Thought
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm land, underground, the abyss, hell, the ethereal plane, or it’s own unique demiplane.
Organization: Unique, often found with 10-100 of her Children.
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
Advancement: 11-23 HD (Huge)

The Architect is a bizarre creature birthed from the very earth of the Abyss. She takes no side in the ongoing struggles of hell, but instead works on weaving her own plane from earth, bits of the hells, and whatever else it finds. She will lay webs in one plane, and wait for prey in her own. When a creature is caught, it is pulled in.

No one knows what the ultimate goal of the Architect or why she works at creating this plane, or creating her servitor race. She isn’t quite intelligent enough to make it a fearsome opponent, but she may very well be a scheme by some higher up creature. She reacts well to Drow elves, and never traps them against their will.

The Architect has no ties to Lloth and Lloth seems not to take much notice of the Architect. The Architect’s plane is known as the Web.

Combat

The Architect prefers not to fight, instead she will Burrow or fly away. She relies on spell-like abilities against airborne foes, and will use Darkness in hopes of distracting them long enough to escape using the Burrow ability. If these fail she will use the Ultrablast ability, or one of the psionic attack forms.

Burrow (Ex): The Architect can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Her burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of her presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing the burrowing Architect flings the her back 30 feet, stunning the her for 1 round unless she succeeds at a Fortitude save.

Earth Mastery (Ex): The Architect gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both she and her foe touch the ground. If an opponent is airborne, the Architect suffers a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls.

Immunities: The Architect is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and mind-influencing effects. She is not subject to critical hits. She also have acid, cold, electricity, and fire resistance 20.

Psionics (Sp): At will – Genesis, Improved Etherealness, Mass Dominate, Planeshift,
Teleport Without Error, Ultrablast
These abilities are as the powers manifested by an 10th-level psion.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will – ego whip, Mind Thrust, Psychic Crush/empty mind, mental barrier, thought shield

Poison (Ex): DC 22, 1d8 Str damage

Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day-Darkness, Poison; 1/day –Contagion, Desecrate,
Unholy Blight; as a 10th level sorcerer.

Telepathy (Su): The Architect can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Tremorsense (Ex): The Architect can automatically sense the location of anything within 60 feet that is in contact with the ground.

Web (Ex): DC 28 to escape, 34 to break, 14 HP

Skills: +4 Hide and Spot checks

Her servitors are next.

Last edited:

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Servitors of the Architect (Goblin + Drider + Fiendish + Psionic + Half-Earth Elemental)
Medium Outsider (Earth)
Hit Dice:
4d8+28 (46)
Initiative: +4 (Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 Ft, climb 25 ft.
AC: 16 (+6 Natural)
Attacks: Morningstar +8 melee, Bite +3 Melee; or javelin +2 ranged
Damage: Morningstar 1d8+5, Bite 1d3+2 and Poison; or javelin 1d6+5
Face/Reach: 5 Ft. By 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Poison, Psionics, Smite Good, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Cold and Fire Resistance: 10, Damage Reduction 5/+1, Darkvision 60’, Immunities, SR: 15, Telepathy
Saves: Fort: +10, Ref: +1, Will: +3
Abilities: Str:20, Dex:11, Con:25, Int:10, Wis:13, Cha:10
Skills: Hide +12, Knowledge (Architecture) +1, Knowledge (Planes) +1, Listen +7,
Move Silently +16, Spot +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Speed of Thought
Climate/Terrain: Any Land, the Web, Underground
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Gang (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class (psion)

These creatures, once goblins, now something more, were created by the Architect to serve in every way. They themselves were Drow slaves, given over to the Architect to do with as she will. In just a generation the goblins that started were turned into frightening beasts. They stand as tall as a man, have rocky skin, red eyes, and startling power.

They kidnap beings from other planes, or seek out certain elements from others, or gather ectoplasm to maintain the integrity of the Web.

Combat

The Architect’s servitors tend to stay out of combat. When their mistress forces them into battle they attack from range first, using javelins, psionic powers, and spell-like abilities then move in closer. They bash with their morning stars and then bite.

Otherwise they use plane shift or teleport without error to escape.

Immunities: Servitors are immune to disease, any spells that involve earth or stone, and gains a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves vs. Poison.

Psionics (Sp): At will – Etherealness, Plane Shift, Teleport Without Error
These abilities are as the powers manifested by an 4th-level psion.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will – ego whip, Mind Thrust, /empty mind, thought shield

Poison (Ex): DC 22, 1d4 Str damage

Smite Good (Su): Once per day a Servitor can make a normal attack to deal additional damage equal to its HD total against a good foe.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day – dancing lights, darkness, detect chaos, detect evil, detect good, detect law, faerie fire, levitate; cast as a 1st-level sorcerer. Also magic stone, soften earth and stone; cast as a 4th-level sorcerer.

Telepathy (Su): A Servitor can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 feet that has a language.

Skills: Servitors gain a +8 racial bonus to Move Silently checks, and a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Only CR 4 for the base creature... I'm in, expect one in the next few days. I hope you are ready for a real nightmare <Evil Grin>.

One question before I begin though. Does 'Dragon Magazine' count as an official WotC source?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads