• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Challenging my high-lvl group (NPCs and monsters; my players shouldn't read this!)

rackabello

First Post
kibbitz said:
Hmm, thing is, couldn't you have a variant on bard performances skewed towards the negative side of things? Horrible haunting songs of the failures and corruption of past would-be heroes, sapping the morale and determination of the PCs, dirges which wound the spirit of our heroes... makes for an interesting duel, if there's any bards with the heroes, Song, CounterSong, continuously, while the battle rages on...

I homebrewed a critter along this line recently. Being a fey, it's not all that germane to the Defenders current situation, but maybe you all will enjoy it:

Rhyme Stealer (Comments are welcome.)

Love the behind the scenes glimpses, Piratecat. Any chance of seeing the "supporting cast" NPCs -- Splinder, Glibstone, that deep gnome scout (name?).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Any chance of seeing the "supporting cast" NPCs -- Splinder, Glibstone, that deep gnome scout (name?).

Great idea! Priggle's prestige class is by our own Claudio Stampas, and is featured in Fiery Dragon's Creature Collection 2. As a rule, Svirfneblin are fairly depressed, and Priggle is a fine example. He's convinced that nothing will go right, that his people are doomed, and that everyone has it in for him. He belittles his own abilities, and (partially due to his feats low key and contemptible target) people usually never take him seriously or believe his competence. It continually irritates him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Priggle Gembreath, gnome (svirfneblin) Rogue 7, gnome combat miner 6
Alignment: Chaotic good
Height: 3' 3", Weight 43 lbs. + gear

Strength: 11 (+0)
Dexterity: 20 (+5)
Constitution: 15 (+2)
Intelligence: 14 (+2)
Wisdom: 17 (+3)
Charisma: 07 (-2)

Hit Points: 84
Armor Class: 29 (+5 Dex, +1 Size, +4 Natural, +4 Dodge, +2 competence, +3 armor)
Speed: 20 ft.
Initiative: +5 (+5 Dex)

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +11 (+7 Base, +2 Con, +2 Racial)
Reflex: +14 (+7 Base, +5 Dex, +2 Racial)
Will: +9 (+4 Base, +3 Wis, +2 Racial)

Attack Bonuses: Sneak attack: +4d6
Melee: +14/+9/+4 (+11 Base, +1 Size, +2 competence)
Ranged: +19/+14/+9 (+11 Base, +5 Dex, +1 Size, +2 competence)
+1 crossbow: +20, 1d8+1 (19-20)
+2 gnome hooked hammer: +17/+12/+7 or +15/+10/+5 & +15, 1d6+4 (x3)/1d4+4 (x4)*
* any strength bonus is 1.5x normal
Languages: Common, drow, gnome, orc, terran, undercommon

Skills Points:
Climb +19 (+7 Rank, +0 Str, +10 enhancement, +2 competence)
Diplomacy +1 (+1 Rank, -2 Cha, +2 competence)
Gather information +6 (+6 Rank, -2 Cha, +2 competence)
Hide +36 (+11 Rank, +5 Dex, +2 Racial, +4 Size, +10 enh., +2 feat, +2 comp.)
Intuit direction +17 (+12 Rank, +3 Wis, +2 competence)
Jump +13 (+6 Rank, +0 Str, +5 enhancement, +2 competence)
Knowledge (architecture & engineering) +18 (+14 Rank, +2 Int, +2 competence)
Knowledge (underdark) +18 (+14 Rank, +2 Int, +2 competence)
Listen +15 (+10 Rank, +3 Wis, +2 competence)
Move silently +17 (+10 Rank, +5 Dex, +2 competence)
Perform +1 (+1 Rank, -2 Cha, +2 competence)
Profession (miner) +13 (+8 Rank, +3 Wis, +2 competence)
Search +14 (+10 Rank, +2 Int, +2 competence)
Spot +16 (+11 Rank, +3 Wis, +2 competence)
Swim +5 (+3 Rank, +2 competence)

Feats:
• Exotic weapon proficiency (gnome hooked hammer)
• Weapon focus (gnome hooked hammer)
• Sagely (all knowledge skills are class skills)
• Low key (+2 to disguise & hide checks; look plain & normal)
• Contemptible target (enemies ignore you until you attack)

Class Abilities:
Dual hammer, home below +2, weak spots +3d6, uncanny dodge (dex bonus to AC, cannot be dodged), master of the hooked hammer, no object too hard 10, destabilize, deconstruction

Dual Hammer (Ex): When wielding the gnome hooked hammer as a double weapon, the Combat Miner fights as if she possessed the Ambidexteriry and Two-Weapon Fighting feats, incurring only a -2 penalty on her attacks.

• Home Below (Ex): The Combat Miner's familiarity with moving, working, and Fghting underground, whether in natural (i.e.,
a cavern, a burrow) or worked (i.e., a dungeon) environments, grants her the listed competence bonus to AC, attack rolls, and skill checks. This extraordinary ability is not active when the Combat Miner is simply indoors.

• Weak Spots (Ex): Owing to her extensive knowledge of mining and structures, the Combat Miner adds the indicated amount of extra damage whenever attacking or attempting in some way to damage an object.

• Master of the Hooked Hammer (Ex): At 3rd level, the Combat Miner gains the Weapon Specialization feat for the gnorne hooked hammer. If she already took this feat for this weapon, the bonuses stack.

• No Object Too Hard (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the Combat Miner gains the extraordinary ability to ignore the hardness rating of an object when attempting to attack it. At 3rd level, therefore, the Combat Miner's attacks against objects ignore a hardness rating of 5 or less and deal damage normally. At 6th level, the Combat Miner's attacks against objects ignore a hardness rating of 10 or less and deal damage normally, and at 9th level her attacks ignore a hardness rating of l5 or less and deal damage normally.

• Destabilize (Sp): Upon reaching 4th level, the Combat Miner gains the spell-like ability to affect the consistency of earth- and stone-based structures in a manner equivalent to the soften earth and stone spell, although she can affect worked as well as natural earth and stone. She can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her Intelligence modifier.

• Deconstruction (Ex): At 6th level, the Combat Miner gains the extraordinary ability to inflict critical hits upon objects.

Spell-Like Abilities: Svirfneblin have no special skill with or resistance to illusions, but they can use blindness, blur, and change self each once per day. These abilities are as the spells cast by a wizard of the svirfneblin’s character level (save DC 10 + spell level).

Nondetection (Su): Svirfneblin have a continuous nondetection ability as the spell.

Svirfneblin Traits (Ex): These are in addition to the basic gnome traits, except where noted here.
• Stonecunning: Like dwarves, svirfneblin receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A deep gnome who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A svirfneblin can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
• Darkvision up to 120 feet.
• Spell resistance of 11 + character level.
• +2 racial bonus to all saving throws (already figured in).
• +4 dodge bonus against all creatures (no special bonus against giants) (already figured in).
Skills: Svirfneblin receive a +2 racial bonus to Hide checks, which improves to +4 in darkened areas underground.

Magic items:

Cloak of Stoneblending (+10 to hide)
Boots of Leaping (+5 to Jump)
Gloves of Climbing (+10 to climb)
Potion of endurance
Potion of bull’s strength
2 potions of cure serious wounds (3d8+5)
2 potions of invisibility
+1 Light Crossbow
+2 gnomish hooked hammer (both heads enchanted)
+1 leather armor (old & battered)

Gear:
Not much, but all the important things that you can easily carry on your body.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
rackabello said:

I homebrewed a critter along this line recently. Being a fey, it's not all that germane to the Defenders current situation, but maybe you all will enjoy it:

Rhyme Stealer (Comments are welcome.)

Very cool! I'll probably use a vartiation of the rhyme stealing power against Nolin. Thanks!

Pyske

Explorer
(possible spoilers ahead, but only guesses)

RangerWickett said:
Too bad bards aren't very useful allies for an army of undead. I don't know if I've ever seen an undead bard before.

Bards aren't good allies for the undead? Why do I have a funny suspicion you'll be revising that opinion whenever the Defenders finally meet Telay again...

Originally posted in the Zip File at the beginning of the story hour
Velendo casts discern location to find Telay, and discovers that she is deep underground in the Underdark. Worried, he does a sending to her, and she reports back that she is thoroughly enjoying herself and experiencing all kinds of new sensations. She sends her love to Nolin, not seeming angry, and promises to see him soon. This seems a bit out of character for the hard-bitten Telay, but they shrug and are pleased to know that she is alive and well.

That doesn't sound ominous to anyone else? Have they dealt with Telay somewhere that I missed?

You know, good old Telay, who studied spellcasting under the lich, Hagiok. Who was also investigating the White Kingdom. Who was a former lover of Nolin (whose relationships, as we all know, never cause him any trouble).

That Telay.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

PS -- Who could it be who would be clever enough to manipulate the Defenders, but would still find it entertaining to send wine and flowers to the Defenders. What class would make the best "Puppetmaster"?

Axeboy

First Post
Pyske said:
*SNIP*

That Telay.

. . . . . . . -- Eric

PS -- Who could it be who would be clever enough to manipulate the Defenders, but would still find it entertaining to send wine and flowers to the Defenders. What class would make the best "Puppetmaster"?

Wow...

ummm....

wow.

If this is the case, hats off to PC for being such a rat-bastard, and to Pyske for figuring it out on so few clues.

In fact, even if it's not the case, hats off to Pyske for a darn good 'conspiracy theory'.

oliverhenshaw

First Post
OK, this feat...

Deconstruction (Ex): At 6th level, the Combat Miner gains the extraordinary ability to inflict critical hits upon objects.

..does it apply to constructs and/or undead? Which book is this in* - I've an interest in options for this type of character if I ever restart my campaign.

Secondly, Telay.. Unless Ive missed something, there's only been indirect references to her, like the one quoted above. Has she turned up in any of the Defenders of Daybreak threads?

* I know I've seen the answer to this within the last two weeks, but just can't place it.

Capellan

Explorer
Nail said:

Ouch. I missed that. Good catch, Pyske. I guess the ghouls are even in Nolin's bed......

IS NOTHING SACRED!!!!!

Well, certainly not Nolin's bed. I get the feeling that's more at the profane end of the scale to be honest - with or without Ghouls :)

Remove ads