• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Champion of Corellon Larethian balance?

jasin

Explorer
Does anyone have any experiences with that PrC from Races of the Wild?

Flavour-wise, I just love it.

But it seems like it might be a bit too good, but perhaps I'm misjudging
only because it seems so good to *me*...

It's way better than the fighter, which is the most obvious comparison,
but then, most things are at higher levels.

But the champion gets a bunch of really neat abilities which could each
almost hold a PrC on their own... and this class gets them all. Dex to
damage? Check. Getting full benefits from 22 Dex in a mithral full
plate? Check. Moving 30 ft. in a mithral full plate? Check. Bonus feats?
Check.

I really can't honestly say I'd be ready to allow a champion IMC, which
is a shame, since I'd love to play the class, and don't feel comfortable
asking other DMs for stuff I wouldn't allow.

Does anyone think I'm overestimating the champion? Does anyone who
thinks I'm not have any good advice on how to fix it?

Taren Seeker

First Post
Well, I love the class too. I'm playing a ranger/fighter right now heading to Champion. It's a powerful class, but the prereqs are steep. Also note that the abilities are nicely spaced out, meaning you won't get the majority of the benefits till after level 12 or 13. At that point I don't think those later abilities are overpowering. Essentially, it's a class that really makes you want to take all the way to 10. IME, those PrC's are pretty rare.

MoonZar

Explorer
jasin said:
Does anyone have any experiences with that PrC from Races of the Wild?

Flavour-wise, I just love it.

But it seems like it might be a bit too good, but perhaps I'm misjudging
only because it seems so good to *me*...

It's way better than the fighter, which is the most obvious comparison,
but then, most things are at higher levels.

But the champion gets a bunch of really neat abilities which could each
almost hold a PrC on their own... and this class gets them all. Dex to
damage? Check. Getting full benefits from 22 Dex in a mithral full
plate? Check. Moving 30 ft. in a mithral full plate? Check. Bonus feats?
Check.

I really can't honestly say I'd be ready to allow a champion IMC, which
is a shame, since I'd love to play the class, and don't feel comfortable
asking other DMs for stuff I wouldn't allow.

Does anyone think I'm overestimating the champion? Does anyone who
thinks I'm not have any good advice on how to fix it?

Hello,

If you allow the class to a players without applying the background of the class this could be very bad. The class is powerful okay, but have responsability...

If you apply all the responsability that the players should have, this not much of a problem. He should follow the code of the god Corellon and also follow the guidance of the priest of Corellon. This could be another god if you wish, but he should have autority who monitor what he's doing.

I personnaly allow this class in my campaign world as the champion of the elven people who answer to the elven queen as a faithful knight and i don't have any problem so far with this prestige class. My players like very much to play and not only for the power, but for the background as well.

Last edited:

MoonZar

Explorer
Taren Seeker said:
Well, I love the class too. I'm playing a ranger/fighter right now heading to Champion. It's a powerful class, but the prereqs are steep. Also note that the abilities are nicely spaced out, meaning you won't get the majority of the benefits till after level 12 or 13. At that point I don't think those later abilities are overpowering. Essentially, it's a class that really makes you want to take all the way to 10. IME, those PrC's are pretty rare.

If you want to play the 10 level of the class this fine and the DM should not have problem. But if you allow this prestige class to mix with too much other prestige class this gonna be very ugly. The powergamer will probably stop the class as soon he got the dexterity on damage and will switch to something else to be even more powerful.

This my personnal opinion about this class who can be very dangerous when people prefer to use power built and don't roleplay this class background.

jasin

Explorer
MoonZar said:
If you want to play the 10 level of the class this fine and the DM should not have problem. But if you allow this prestige class to mix with too much other prestige class this gonna be very ugly. The powergamer will probably stop the class as soon he got the dexterity on damage and will switch to something else to be even more powerful.
You could rule that the Dex to damage ability works like the duelists canny defense, +1 bonus of Dex modifier added to damage per level. So dipping would get you up to +2 to damage, which is not too bad, but if you wanted more, you have to take more champion levels...

MoonZar

Explorer
jasin said:
You could rule that the Dex to damage ability works like the duelists canny defense, +1 bonus of Dex modifier added to damage per level. So dipping would get you up to +2 to damage, which is not too bad, but if you wanted more, you have to take more champion levels...

This a good idea if you want to prevent this by changing the rules. But i much prefer to talk with the players and tell him that i'll allow the class if he want to play the 10 level of progression.

Crothian

First Post
It is a good class with some stroing abilities. It is abusible but you only need to worry about that if your players are the types to abuse things.

Methos

Explorer
I haven't had a chance to look at it in real detail, since I only just got the book a few days ago, however, my cursory view of it indicated that it was too powerful, even with the requirements. However, like another poster indicated, by enforcing some strong role-playing considerations, you might be able to reign it in. I must admit, when I saw it, I was very excited about it, since it is an excellent idea for campaign flavor.

Cheers

Methos

mzsylver

Explorer
The True Power...

Try making a 4 Scout/2 Fighter that goes into X Dervish, 2 Wildrunner, 2 Champion of Correlon. Now that's some good stuff.

MoonZar

Explorer
Crothian said:
It is a good class with some stroing abilities. It is abusible but you only need to worry about that if your players are the types to abuse things.

This exactly my thought... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads