Dragonlance Champions of Krynn: A Free Adventure From Dragonlance Nexus

Dragonlance fan-site, Dragonlance Nexus, has released a free 28-page adventure based on the 1990 video game. I am pleased to announce that a long awaited dream is actually coming to reality today. This chapter is created in the spirit of the original 90s gold box game, but is not the same tactical game that I spent hundreds of hours playing through. The locations, the people, the story is...

Dragonlance fan-site, Dragonlance Nexus, has released a free 28-page adventure based on the 1990 video game.

FC204DBB-F4C6-4911-A9A5-3E600D261F5C.jpeg

I am pleased to announce that a long awaited dream is actually coming to reality today. This chapter is created in the spirit of the original 90s gold box game, but is not the same tactical game that I spent hundreds of hours playing through. The locations, the people, the story is still intact but many of these things have been expanded.

As an avid lover of Dragonlance, Dungeons & Dragons, and the original gold box games, I can’t wait for a new generation to dive into the game and hear their tales.

Chapter 2 is well into the final stage of the writing process and Chapter 3 has begun to be outlined for playtesting. It’s a good day to be a fan of Dragonlance and through your support we can continue this process, so thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 11.34.02 PM.png

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I'm genuinely surprised Pool of Radiance hasn't been done. It is such a great sandbox city adventure.
I converted Ruins of Adventure / Pool of Radiance as my first 5E project, focusing a bit more on the city politics and maneuvering on the Council as well as the Boss. It wasn't bad, though had to tone down some of the combats. I vaguely recall fights with 50+ enemies, routinely, in the Gold Box version...

I converted Ruins of Adventure / Pool of Radiance as my first 5E project, focusing a bit more on the city politics and maneuvering on the Council as well as the Boss. It wasn't bad, though had to tone down some of the combats. I vaguely recall fights with 50+ enemies, routinely, in the Gold Box version...
But, but, but…those were part of the fun!

One of my foundational experiences was a 5th-level magic user casting fireball (possibly for the first time) on the kobolds filling that cave. I think I took out like 49 of them.

When I saw a player in a D&D group cast a fireball at a single target, I was stunned. Just can‘t not see it as a wasteful use, even if you are only fighting one powerful opponent.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
But, but, but…those were part of the fun!

One of my foundational experiences was a 5th-level magic user casting fireball (possibly for the first time) on the kobolds filling that cave. I think I took out like 49 of them.

When I saw a player in a D&D group cast a fireball at a single target, I was stunned. Just can‘t not see it as a wasteful use, even if you are only fighting one powerful opponent.

Even in the goldbox games it was sometimes useful as a way of damaging a more powerful opponent, and gave the magic-user something to do.

Fun fact: Tyranthraxus is not completely magic-resistant--toss enough magic missiles at him and once in a while one gets through.

It was, it was an old-school 1e mod, FRC1, Ruins of Adventure. FRC2 was Curse of the Azure Bonds, its sequel. I'm guessing nobody thought highly enough of Secret of the Silver Blades to convert it (why was there an ice cave full of hundreds of 14th-level fighters and wizards?), which is kind of a pity, as Pools of Darkness would have made a great high-level mod, what with the spider dimension and moving around Moander's heart while avoiding his cardiac cycle. (Yes, really. The local villain was hiding in the left ventricle.)
SotSB is the real outlier of the four. It really doesn't feel like the others, which otherwise have a coherent plot line (defeating Tyranthraxus enough times that Bane himself finally intervenes), and it's lacking in a layered storyline that has an overall goal but also sub-goals along the way like the others. The fact that it doesn't have an overland map component like the others makes it a lot more claustrophobic. All this makes it horribly repetitive, with all those similar mine levels and glacier crevasses, and the same opponents over and over again with few exceptions (Oh look, another room filled with basilisks, medusas, and cockatrices!). SotSB's lackluster-ness is really the sticking point when I start coming up with ideas on adapting the series...

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
SotSB is the real outlier of the four. It really doesn't feel like the others, which otherwise have a coherent plot line (defeating Tyranthraxus enough times that Bane himself finally intervenes), and it's lacking in a layered storyline that has an overall goal but also sub-goals along the way like the others. The fact that it doesn't have an overland map component like the others makes it a lot more claustrophobic. All this makes it horribly repetitive, with all those similar mine levels and glacier crevasses, and the same opponents over and over again with few exceptions (Oh look, another room filled with basilisks, medusas, and cockatrices!). SotSB's lackluster-ness is really the sticking point when I start coming up with ideas on adapting the series...

You could always turn it into an ironic joke--everyone playing your adaptation is going to be a longtime fan of the series anyway. Have a repeating ice cave that sends the same monsters after you every six steps unless you turn off a switch or something.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont know much about the Gold Box games, but I can say that the scenario of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate/Shadow of Amn/Throne of Bhaal make awesome campaigns, if you can get around a few quirk. (Especially with the whole child of Bhaal thing which makes a player closer to a main character).

Remove ads

Remove ads