D&D (2024) Change in Charisma Description

Adding beauty to the equation might those people who already believe that it does to simply double down on their belief, hypothetically.
I think this is a fair counterpoint. But like I said earlier, the shortsighted DM that rules that is just as likely to rule the opposite: charisma is not beauty; therefore, I can base NPC reactions on whatever I like. The abilities are abstracts, so it muddles things.

Yes, it absolutely does, because the player can describe their character however they want.
Correct, they can describe themselves as beautiful. Incorrect, they can attach it to charisma. Show me where in the rules it says they can attach their beauty to charisma?
Except this DM would not be supported by any text in the book, whereas the DM who says “you must be this pretty to have an 18 Charisma” would be, if your proposal was accepted.
Incorrect. It is a part of the definition. No DM has suggested you must be "eloquent" to have a high charisma? No DM suggests you must be "confident." In fact, I bet people would fawn over a PC that was shy and introverted, yet exuded "charm." Examples exist all over the place for high charisma characters to have only one or two of the quoted abilities. So why now, if you added another dimension, would DMs suddenly flock to only focusing on one characteristic. The answer is: they wouldn't.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think this is a fair counterpoint. But like I said earlier, the shortsighted DM that rules that is just as likely to rule the opposite: charisma is not beauty; therefore, I can base NPC reactions on whatever I like. The abilities are abstracts, so it muddles things.
At which point it really doesn't matter what the PHB says on the subject.

I don’t know, why do you ignore the obvious fact that you’re perfectly free to have a pretty character with high charisma, a pretty character with low charisma, an ugly character with high charisma, or an ugly character with low charisma?
If that is the claim, then why not do it with every ability. Why not do it with strength? For example, ask a player to describe their character: "I am muscle bound, weigh three hundred pounds of ripped lean muscle mass, and have 25" bulging biceps. But I have a 6 strength." Or, "I am lean, move like the wind, double-jointed, and walk with perfect balance and grace. But I have a 6 dexterity."
The reason to add it, is the same reason you have these broad definitions in the first place. To help the player describe their character and have it attach to something concrete in the game - which is what abilities are all about.

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
Correct, they can describe themselves as beautiful. Incorrect, they can attach it to charisma. Show me where in the rules it says they can attach their beauty to charisma?

Incorrect. It is a part of the definition. No DM has suggested you must be "eloquent" to have a high charisma? No DM suggests you must be "confident." In fact, I bet people would fawn over a PC that was shy and introverted, yet exuded "charm." Examples exist all over the place for high charisma characters to have only one or two of the quoted abilities. So why now, if you added another dimension, would DMs suddenly flock to only focusing on one characteristic. The answer is: they wouldn't.
I guess the question here is, does it make a difference? I'm not trying to be flippant, this is obviously something you want to be in the game. But as it stands, appearance has no mechanical relevance whatsoever in the game. It's up to the DM to decide whether or not it applies, and in what circumstances.

So if you say "I'm beautiful and have high Charisma", whether the game allows you to state that or not, it doesn't really matter- you have high Charisma. You could even say "I'm beautiful because I have high Charisma", since "inner beauty" is a concept.

So the only thing the game doesn't let you say is "I have high Charisma because I'm beautiful"; ie, that you have average social skills that are balanced out by great beauty. This is important because you'd be saying, in such a case, that your ability to play a lyre or intimidate an orc would be the same as your ability to lie to others or convince them that you and your companions are humble travelers and certainly not the people who assassinated the Duke by virtue of your looks, since the game gives the same bonus to all these circumstances*.

*Certainly, the DM can adjust target numbers or grant advantage/disadvantage on circumstance, but we're simply going off of the actual bonus granted by the ability- no matter what the source, your Charisma attribute grants the same bonus to these activities.

James Gasik

Supporter
If that is the claim, then why not do it with every ability. Why not do it with strength. For example, as a player to describe their character: "I am muscle bound, weight three hundred pounds of ripped lean muscle mass, and have 25" bulging biceps. But I have a 6 strength." Or, "I am lean, move like the wind, double-jointed, and walk with perfect balance and grace. But I have a 6 dexterity."
The reason to add it, is the same reason you have these broad definitions in the first place. To help the player describe their character and have it attach to something concrete in the game - which is what abilities are all about.
That's really the problem, isn't it? Ability scores don't work that way in D&D, save for perhaps using the Options books in late 2e. You can't have great ability to lift weights without great ability to smack people around in melee combat (barring racial traits like Powerful Build). You can't be good at dodging blows and picking pockets and not have a bonus to initiative. So you can say "I'm tough but get winded easily" all you want to, but the truth is, you have the same Constitution score which applies all bonuses and penalties equally. Thus any attempt to describe your character differently is not matched by the rules for ability scores- it's game play and story dissonance.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Because its literally not the point of the OP's post. Take the quote (and I typed that straight out of the PHB, and simply do this, its all the OP is (I believe) asking for.

season 8 GIF
I understand that’s what they’re asking for. My response to that is “why? It doesn’t make any practical difference.”

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If that is the claim, then why not do it with every ability. Why not do it with strength. For example, as a player to describe their character: "I am muscle bound, weight three hundred pounds of ripped lean muscle mass, and have 25" bulging biceps. But I have a 6 strength." Or, "I am lean, move like the wind, double-jointed, and walk with perfect balance and grace. But I have a 6 dexterity."
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a player doing either of those things.
Well there’s your problem. No, I don’t agree that abilities are about that at all. You certainly can attach them to something concrete in the fiction, but you aren’t required to do so, far from that being their primary role.

Scribe

Legend
I understand that’s what they’re asking for. My response to that is “why? It doesn’t make any practical difference.”

Because just as there are apparently DM's who straight jacket players with Alignment, straight jacket players with ASI, is it such a stretch to imagine there are the same terrible DM's who upon receiving a players description of Charisma being based on their characters looks, look up the PHB description of Charisma, and veto it?

Then again, I guess its just one more reason PF1 is the superior option.

Charisma measures a character’s personality, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and appearance.

Every day, we stray further from 3.5's light.

Jahydin

Hero
I think most intelligent races pass judgement on trustworthiness by how someone looks, especially on first contact, so "appearance" is a pretty critical contribution to Charisma, but in no way does it need to be "attractive". Healthy, distinctive, imposing, calming, "cool", etc. are all fine in my book.

Remove ads