D&D 5E Change the name to Dungeons OR Dragons

MarkB

Legend
All this is missing the real issue - that of precedence. It's time that the real heroes of the system get first billing - time to put the flavour of the setting ahead of its architecture.

Dragons & Dungeons

Ace

Adventurer
We all know budgets are tight in this difficult times. I suggest that in order to save money, WotC change the name from Dungeons AND Dragons to Dungeons OR Dragons. That is, you can explore dank subterranean caverns, or you can fight fire-breathing winged reptiles, but not at the same time.

:)
Sounds like my usual game. I don't think I've ever had a dragon in a dungeon. Heck despite the game being called Dungeons and Dragons, I don't think I've ever used a dragon in D&D.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nope.

With all that is happening to our game (ORCs are racist, we can't have racial modifiers, etc) and how they want to "improve" the game by destroying the game, them wanting to change even the name of the game itself would not surprise me.

So, YES. I do take the talk of changing the name SERIOUSLY!

And NO, I do not think it is funny to even having suggested such (especially on a forum DEVOTED to D&D).
Oh my.

Ace

Adventurer

I'm not defending his views here as I don't share them but they aren't that odd for an American.

D&D though has a very large, highly conservative following especially in the US. The games two creators were both devout Christians (Gary was regarded himself as a born again Christian and Dave Arneson IIRC was some kind of Protestant) and in the US a huge chunk of the play base was and is military personal who skew Right (by US standards, the word means something different in Europe and elsewhere) Mostly this view is an OSR Grognard thing and seldom seen in places like this.

The old "D&D" is evil is long gone and there are even games to teach the Bible including a couple of 5E freebies from Church Basement Games

Still anyone who is unhappy about changes ought to remember the true spirit of D&D is do it your way. You want always evil -2 INT Orcs, make it so in your game. No one will stop you and no one cares.

With the OGL you can even publish "Olde Schoole Orcz"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Nope.

With all that is happening to our game (ORCs are racist, we can't have racial modifiers, etc) and how they want to "improve" the game by destroying the game, them wanting to change even the name of the game itself would not surprise me.

So, YES. I do take the talk of changing the name SERIOUSLY!

And NO, I do not think it is funny to even having suggested such (especially on a forum DEVOTED to D&D).
Hopelessly devoted to Yooooou
Geas mine is not the first spell misspoken
My D20 is not the first miscast die
Im not the first to know theres just no getting over ooooh
We can not allow frivolit-i-i-y
On a Forum devoted to D&D
Please dont take this seriously

(apologies to fans of Grease)

Last edited:

I'm not defending his views here as I don't share them but they aren't that odd for an American.
I think it's just a case of Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody in such a way that someone won't mistake it for the genuine article."

Consider that TSR used to separate Dragon magazine and Dungeon magazine.

Consider that this was originally a news site, and that this was literally the first post in a new sub board.

Consider that WotC has been experimenting with cross branding a lot recently.

It's not beyond possibility that Hasbro/WotC could rebrand D&D in the future, with one brand being a generic role playing system ("Dungeon TM"), and another brand being the medieval magic fantasy world that we currently think of as a default game setting ("Dragon TM").

Also, this thread is now down to a "0" rating, and we litteraly have no positive rated threads in the Suggestion forum.

Remove ads