Level Up (A5E) Changes to Advantage

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
I like the Advantage mechanic, quick and simple to use, but it becomes a bit dull over time. When fighting a low AC creature like a zombie, hitting is almost certain. In that combat, Advantage is giving a small increase in the chance of getting a critical hit but overall still a low chance of changing the outcome.

I'd like to spice things up and see options to switch out what kind of bonus you get for having Advantage, rather than just always the same old roll twice. Alternatively, extra riders if both rolls are successful (like the old weapon feats from Unearthed Arcana did for axes if I remember correctly).

For example, if I'm attacking with a flail I could choose to make my attack roll twice as normal or to trip the enemy if I hit. Hammers could push, swords could impose Disadvantage on the targets next attack, etc. Doesn't have to be based on weapon type though, access to options could be gated by class features. It could be rolled into an existing feature, like fighting styles, or added separately.

My focus has been in terms of attack rolls in combat, but obviously there are Ability checks (with or without skill/tool proficiencies) and Saves that you could do something for.

Stalker0

Legend
I think what you could do is give a bonus if you succeed or fail twice on advantage / disadvantage rolls

Greater Advantage - if you Roll with advantage and succeed on both rolls, you gain greater advantage.

example:

critical focus - when an X level barbarian uses reckless attack and gets greater advantage, the attack is a crit.

Greater disAdvantage - if you Roll with disadvantage and fail on both rolls, you gain greater disadvantage

example

Blur - (added to spell). if the attacker gains greater disadvantage, they suffer advantage on all attack rolls until the beginning or their next turn

ThatGuySteve

Explorer
I think what you could do is give a bonus if you succeed or fail twice on advantage / disadvantage rolls

Greater Advantage - if you Roll with advantage and succeed on both rolls, you gain greater advantage.

example:

critical focus - when an X level barbarian uses reckless attack and gets greater advantage, the attack is a crit.

Greater disAdvantage - if you Roll with disadvantage and fail on both rolls, you gain greater disadvantage

example

Blur - (added to spell). if the attacker gains greater disadvantage, they suffer advantage on all attack rolls until the beginning or their next turn
I'd keep the bonuses limited to lower impact effects to maintain balance while making combat more dynamic. Straight up extra damage would quickly become the "optimal" choice, getting criticals could spiral quickly, especially against a low AC target.

It's not terribly hard to get Advantage so effects have to be balanced against potentially triggering every round.

I'm not so keen on changes to Disadvantage. It already sucks to fail, this feels like kicking someone while they are down. Also overly penalises martial characters who are more often going to be making attack rolls. A caster with disadvantage can switch to a save spell rather than attack roll.

aco175

Legend
Advantage/disadvantage is fine and more importantly- simple. I have seen where Matt Corville has double advantage/disadvantage where you roll 3 dice. I do find it better than +2/-2 mechanic though.

I can see some sort of advance advantage like what @ThatGuySteve is saying with making types of weapons give something cool if you want that over the 2nd die to roll. I would make it an option and not a replacement. Some ideas include tripping, pushing, sliding, gaining movement, extra damage, or AC.

If I'm using an axe, I could choose to not get the 2nd die in order to gain another d8 damage, or if I'm using a staff I could move the opponent 10ft- or I could move the 10ft. I could see this making weapons a meaningful choice. Not sure on how to modify for skill checks and other things.

Dausuul

Legend
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I would create a separate term for it though, just write it out in class abilities: "When you attack with advantage and hit with both rolls, X happens."

Stalker0

Legend
I like the ability to “cash in” advantage for other benefits. As long as it’s contained and not too frequent, I think it’s a cool design space

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases