D&D 5E Changes to D&D's Spellcasting Monsters: Streamlining Your Way To Bliss

WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks about the way they are changing spellcasting monsters in D&D. Making the game more fun, easier to learn, shorting "the pathway to getting to your bliss". Making monsters easier to run. "Rumors of the death of spellcasting [in monsters] are not true". Innate spellcasting has been streamlined with spellcasting into a single trait. Spellcasting options are...

WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks about the way they are changing spellcasting monsters in D&D.
  • Making the game more fun, easier to learn, shorting "the pathway to getting to your bliss".
  • Making monsters easier to run.
  • "Rumors of the death of spellcasting [in monsters] are not true". Innate spellcasting has been streamlined with spellcasting into a single trait.
  • Spellcasting options are consolidated whenever possible.
  • Removing options that a DM is unlikely ever to use.
  • In some cases, new magical abilities in the monster statblock which exist alongside a list of spells they can cast.
  • For example, the mind flayer's mind blast is not a spell, and other abilities are magical but not spells and aren't as easy to interact with with things like counterspell.
  • Things which make archmages say "How is this functioning, and why can't I stop it?"

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I know that it's for easy of play, but spells are IMHO one of the funniest part of the game. I'll miss them in monster stats. Hope this is just an option that don't rule out spells in stats blocks.
The stat blocks still have spells in them - they just lay them out differently. There were some screenshots showing the difference between the original Orcus stats and the new Orcus stats. Both had spells, but as one example I remember they removed his chill touch cantrip and gave him a ranged necrotic spell attack in the stat block as an attack action, listing his attack bonus and damage in the block. They also removed his spell slots and gave him a number of castings per day for his spells. That's the kind of reorganization going on - they still have spells.

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
So basically, the way 4e did it? Kinda.

Everything old is new again.

Well not exactly but things move in that direction. I kind of expected that to happen as soon as as some years went by and the edition warring was done.

4E might have been a divisive edition but it had very interesting stuff going on. Especially when it comes to game mechanics and rules.
Pathfinder 2 already grabbed stuff from that treasure trove. It was just a matter of time before WotC would do so as well.

I liked 4E. But I was not really aware how good it was mechanically while still playing it.

But now more then 10 years latter I am doing paid rule feedback for an entirely different rpg game and I am aware how much I owe 4E. It had a huge influence on me. It just took me a while to get it. It helped that these days you can discuss 4E in message boards without people trying to start a flame war with often ridculess claims about the game.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Quibbles like the Ranger class and Hexblade aside, 5E was almost a perfect game, and has been successful from the start. So whats the best thing to do when you have achieved near perfection...why change it all up of course!

I wish could be excited about any of the things they are doing, I love it when things I love come along with new awesome iterations. For example, I play FFXIV, and pretty much every update and change to the game Yoshi P makes is mostly celebrated and lauded, but every change D&D makes feels the polar opposite of that.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
the end of 3.5 had beguiler, warmage, true necromancer, duskblade, and others... 4e trided to split swordmage/warlock/wizard/bard but I think they could have done a bit better... then 5e went back to "General class"
None of that stuff would have survived an edition change. Its the same at the tail end of all of them.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Then write it out and don't waste my time digging through the PH.

Just begging for some competent design over here.
I know we're not supposed to say stuff like this, but I don't see how what you appear to want is any version of D&D, except maybe 4th ed. Do you just want to play 4th ed? That's fine. But every version of D&D doesn't have to be like that. People like different things, and that's not only ok, it's great!

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
I know that it's for easy of play, but spells are IMHO one of the funniest part of the game. I'll miss them in monster stats. Hope this is just an option that don't rule out spells in stats blocks.

I can only partly agree. As player I have fun with them as well. As a DM I no longer do.

One of the reasons my group has been playing a different game then D&D the last two years was that they expected me to DM it. I no longer wanted to deal with all the work 5E demands. Monsters with spells and the monster design in general while not the deciding factor were among the reasons. Turned out that the other members of the groups enjoyment run among the same lines as mine and nobody wanted to DM it so we switched to another game.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
My one other comment on this whole thing, is that the bit about "the pathway to getting to your bliss" strikes me as really bizarre, and really more off-putting than any of the concrete changes. D&D is not a spa treatment.
Yeah it comes across as that weird new-corp-spiel where they're trying to sound all new-agey and connected, but instead come across as bizarre.

Nah. Perfect efficiency is one of those things that sounds good only on paper.

D&D is better off staying a bit messy, asymmetrical, and weird.

If it feels right to have fog cloud on the statblock, include it. 🤷‍♂️
This.

We've really just circled around to the initial point of the stat block change. Moving to Actions for signature/iconic spells saves the DM from (a) any difficulty in recognizing which are the creature's signature/iconic spells and (b) searching for the rules on how those spells work.

The amount of real estate taken up in a stat block by including the words fog and cloud is almost nothing. Including it as its own Action takes up 3 or 4 rows. If you think that's not a big deal, you've never needed to worry about fitting a stat block into a page layout.

I would point out, though, that where some commenters have suggested that spells are being included in the Spellcasting Action simply because "a spellcaster of that level would have that spell", that's not really the case here. With these changes, there is no requirement to adhere to spells per level or any other such parameters as they apply to PCs. The Spellcasting Action is intended to be used for occasional-use, typically non-combat (meaning non-damage-dealing) spells, and it can be - within reason - any list of spells the creator feels appropriate to the monster.

'Streamlining'

You mean breaking every prior ability which relied on NPC's using spells?

DM - "The enemy wizard casts 'Ball of Fire"

Player - "Ok as Ancients Paladin my aura gives resistance to damage from spells"

DM - "It's not a spell, it's just just an ability identical in every way to a spell. Guess you die"

5e is starting to feel like an incoherent mess, where old stuff isn't meshing with the new stuff very well at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads