Unearthed Arcana Changing the Artificer from Unearthed Arcana PEACH

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
....DMG pg 128-129?

The bit that starts off talking about how magic items are under the DM's purview, and how the DM can let PCs craft them, and then describes doing so as time consuming and expensive, before going on to describe how to actually do it?

Did you not know there were rules for that, or were you planning on quibbling about whether or not they're "core"?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I really wish I woulda seen this thread before I posted my own version of the 5e Artificer just moments ago.

Honestly, I like the idea of the Artificer being it's own core class with it's own archetypes. And I think there's a lot that could be done with it. I also agree that aspects of the Warlock serve as a decent structure for the Artificer. I thought about that myself, specifically with spells such as Magic Weapon and how casting it as a higher spell slot fits with the way Warlocks cast. I also thought that the Invocations could be pretty easily reflavored as gadgets or trinkets that could be shared or used by other party members. But then I thought about actually grading the magic items presented in the DMG as potential gadgets, and it made my head hurt to try and organize them by appropriate level (I don't think the rarity system is a very good indicator of an item's power level).

So in the end, I went with a rehabbed version presented in UA. I'd link to the thread, though I don't know if that would be appropriate thread etiquette to do so. Basically, I:

*took out the scroll creation

*added Shillelagh and Magic Stone cantrips,

*changed the Infuse Potions ability to provide limited concentration free spells

*revamped the magic arms and armor to be enhanced versions of the magic weapon and elemental weapon spells

*provided means to swap or move enchantments

*provide an extra attunement slot

My only issue at the moment is determining whether these changes align with the power level of the other wizard archetypes.

Remove ads