Release [Chaosium] Call of Cthulhu arrives on digital collectable app VeVe

darjr

I crit!
Why? It's a product for those who want it, and the rest of us can just continue playing CoC.

Personally, I don't really get the appeal of NFTs . . . I think they're kinda stupid and faddish. No idea on the cost of these, but I wouldn't be interested if they were free.

But, from a publisher or artist's point of view . . . if folks want to purchase digital art, why not make it available for those who want it?

And . . . I've purchased similar kinds of things within video games to decorate my avatar's personal spaces within the game. I haven't done this a lot or spent any significant money to do so, but I got a minor kick out of it in games I was invested in. This seems similar to me, just minus the video game wrapping.

One question I have is . . . . Why license through Chaosium? They don't hold copyrights on Mythos characters and IP, why license through them at all? Lovecraft's work is all in the public domain (I'm fairly sure).
It's a scam. It's fundamentally bad for the environment despite the shady "carbon credit" shenanigans. It's pushed by pyramid schemers that if given a chance would fill every space they could type with pleas to "jump on board" and this encourages them. And I, frankly, don't want to give Chaosium any money while they are doing this.

do as you will

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why? It's a product for those who want it, and the rest of us can just continue playing CoC.

Personally, I don't really get the appeal of NFTs . . . I think they're kinda stupid and faddish. No idea on the cost of these, but I wouldn't be interested if they were free.

But, from a publisher or artist's point of view . . . if folks want to purchase digital art, why not make it available for those who want it?

And . . . I've purchased similar kinds of things within video games to decorate my avatar's personal spaces within the game. I haven't done this a lot or spent any significant money to do so, but I got a minor kick out of it in games I was invested in. This seems similar to me, just minus the video game wrapping.

One question I have is . . . . Why license through Chaosium? They don't hold copyrights on Mythos characters and IP, why license through them at all? Lovecraft's work is all in the public domain (I'm fairly sure).
Like @darjr says, this is participating in a pyramid scheme that actively harms the environment. It's like if Chaosium started adopting an Avon style sales methodology that also involved dumping plastic rings in the ocean.

Last edited:

These seem to be going for $50 each (or “gems”). Reading a bit online it seems people have invested thousands of dollars in veve “collectibles.” You can’t even sell these; there’s no way to convert back into real world currency.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I've bought every single New Chaosium release. I thought you had rescued it from the era of Charlie Krank.

Now?

I wish you had let it die.

NFTs are environmentally destructive, I don't believe you about this new super good for you blockchain, and even if I did, it's still a predatory grift.

I will not buy a single new Chaosium product until you stop.

Shame on you.

eae.gif

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™

A much better and thorough answer to your question than I can give.

Dire Bare

Legend
It's a scam. It's fundamentally bad for the environment despite the shady "carbon credit" shenanigans. It's pushed by pyramid schemers that if given a chance would fill every space they could type with pleas to "jump on board" and this encourages them. And I, frankly, don't want to give Chaosium any money while they are doing this.

do as you will
Like @darjr says, this is participating in a pyramid scheme that actively harms the environment. It's like if Chaosium started adopting an Avon style sales methodology that also involved dumping plastic rings in the ocean.
It's a scam.
NFTs are not scams or pyramid schemes. They are, IMO, a fad and likely a bad investment idea . . . but not scams.

The environmental issue is real, although I'm not convinced their environmental impact is greater than anything else in modern society. And folks are already working on different methods of delivery for both cryptocurrency and NFTs that will have less of an environmental impact.

I don't see the appeal or sense of NFTs, I am uncomfortable with their current environmental impacts, and I won't be purchasing these or any other NFTs or crypto-anything . . . but no, not scams. Just bad ideas.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
NFTs are not scams or pyramid schemes. They are, IMO, a fad and likely a bad investment idea . . . but not scams.

The environmental issue is real, although I'm not convinced their environmental impact is greater than anything else in modern society. And folks are already working on different methods of delivery for both cryptocurrency and NFTs that will have less of an environmental impact.

I don't see the appeal or sense of NFTs, I am uncomfortable with their current environmental impacts, and I won't be purchasing these or any other NFTs or crypto-anything . . . but no, not scams. Just bad ideas.
Putting the environmental impact aside. They absolutely are pyramid schemes, just run by by techy dudebros. If that's what counts as revolutionary, consider me poured into the foundation. Please watch the video I linked above.

Remove ads