Chaosium Releases Basic Role Playing SRD

Chaosium has released the Basic Roleplaying System Reference Document (SRD). The Basic Roleplaying SRD is based on Basic Roleplaying, the simple, fast, and elegant skill-based percentile system that is the core of most Chaosium roleplaying games, including Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, SuperWorld, and others. Under the provisions of the Basic Roleplaying Open Game License (OGL), designers...

Chaosium has released the Basic Roleplaying System Reference Document (SRD).

brp-logos-with-tm-black-and-red.png

The Basic Roleplaying SRD is based on Basic Roleplaying, the simple, fast, and elegant skill-based percentile system that is the core of most Chaosium roleplaying games, including Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, SuperWorld, and others.

Under the provisions of the Basic Roleplaying Open Game License (OGL), designers can create their own roleplaying games using the Basic Roleplaying rules engine, royalty-free and without further permission from Chaosium Inc.

For further details and to download the SRD document, see our Basic Roleplaying SRD information page.

This uses an opening gaming license, but not THE Open Gaming License (the commonly used one published by WotC nearly 20 years ago). It is based on similar concepts, but this uses the BRP Open Game License. A notable difference is that instead of "Product Identity") (which in the original license typically includes trademarks, proper names, a handful of iconic monsters, etc.), this license used "Prohibited Content" which expands that to include mechanics, or "substantially similar" mechanics to some selected features of the rules system. For example, part of the prohibited list includes:

"Augments: The use of one ability — whether skill or characteristic — to augment another ability of the same or a different type, in a manner substantially similar to those of the RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha rules."

Obviously you can make similar mechanics without using this license, but if you use this license you agree not to use mechanics similar to those in the prohibited content list.

The prohibited content list also contains Le Morte D'Arthur, and the Cthulhu Mythos.

So long as it's not substantially similar to the CoC sanity rules, then you can create your own sanity/madness/shock/stress rules.

Time ago I created this house rule.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So essentially they don't understand anything and got it entirely backwards?

Okay.
You're being a jerk again, @CapnZapp. It's tiring having to monitor you all the time.

(Edit -- and wow! 16 warning points? That's twice the record I've ever seen. How did you manage to mount that many up? We'll be dicussing this in the mod forum).

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
I was just hoping for an update to the BRP book so that is matches any changes made in newer versions of CoC or other games that have modified the BRP rules. By any chance, have I just missed seeing an errata pdf or something that takes care of this?
Most Chaosium RPGs use a variation of the Basic RolePlaying System, which started with RuneQuest. Call of Cthulhu, StormBringer, SuperWorld, and others followed. BRP is a stand-alone product that sits the core of all these games, but we have not modified the base BRP rules as featured in the 'Big Gold Book'.

Bloody Hell! Nobody is forcing anyone to use the BRP from Chaosium.
It is just there for folks who want it, okay. Peace!
It’s looking to be increasingly irrelevant, to be honest. Chaosium can’t really control other BRP spinoffs already in use by other companies, and putting out a document like this at this time seems a bit desperate. I’m not really sure who will use it or, indeed, who its aimed at.

Remove ads

Remove ads