• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character and Monster Builders with a Solid State Drive?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I've been using an Asus 10 inch netbook for the past year or so with Windows XP as the operating system (thank God!) and it handles the two builder programmes quite well. Sure, they're a little slow but they're also slow on my two desktops as well.

CapnZapp

Legend
The SSd technology is still very new and it's only with Windows 7 and the incorporation of the TRIM command SSDs will have a standardized way of combating slowness creep.

Existing products vary A LOT in the quality of garbage collection, so frankly, I wouldn't buy anything except the very latest releases, and I wouldn't buy one unless I was planning on running Windows 7 (or some Linux distros also supporting TRIM).

As for cheap netbooks, you are aware some of these claim they have an SSD while really sporting merely a flash disc (much like an USB stick), right?

King Nate

First Post
After reading some more information I am definitely going to wait until after October 22nd to see what happens. I’m glad to see that there could be good things happening with netbooks around the time I plan on buying one. :)

Buying a netbook with linux is out of the question since CB and MB won’t work with that OS.

As I stated before I am basically illiterate to computer talk and have only learned a handful of stuff within the last couple of weeks while researching the netbooks. Things like TRIM and distros I am unfamiliar with. As far as SSD being a flash disc instead of an actually SSD is news to me because I thought they were the same thing, I didn’t know there was a difference. Which is the reason for this thread, I remember reading somewhere where the CB would not work with those USB flash disc which is why I was worried about the SSD. Maybe a HDD is better after all.

Remove ads