D&D 5E Character Backstories: Care to share?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Some players provide just a line or two to cover their character's backstory, but I've rarely been satisfied with that. I might settle for a mere couple of paragraphs, but I often find myself writing something longer; once, I ended up writing a short story entirely about the PC's mother! [I won't be posting that here, so you can exhale now. ;) ]

The idea for this thread is to share backstories of PCs, past and present, whose pre-adventuring lives you put some effort into, sufficient to be happy to share your work with the larger gaming community.

Please view this thread as a source for (hopefully) good, if very-short stories, and ideas for more PC creations.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
This one came about by way of the recent Unearthed Arcana piece on the Artificer class; from threads on EN World by [MENTION=6855057]QuietBrowser[/MENTION]'s and [MENTION=6762655]transcendantviewer[/MENTION]'s individual takes on the Warforged race; from a "History of the Nentir Vale" document compiled by an unnamed fan of the game (the document simply credited WoTC as the source for all of the information); from the 13th Age/(Pathfinder) supplement "Midgard Heroes for 5th Edition"; and, finally, from a 13th Age game in which I am playing (the backstory below does not come from that game).

Fumor's Backstory:

I'm an invention that invents things. That's the way I see it, anyway. Other "warforged", and I use that term advisedly, were simply devised for other purposes.

Granted, I can hold my own in a fight, but I simply do not view myself as being any kind of militant engine.

About being a warforged: I am built on that general chassis, for which I'm grateful. Of all the various living constructs that currently exist, it's the closest to evolved life, in that we are substantially organic.

There is another type, the "gearforged", that are fully metallic in all their parts. All they know, all their thoughts and memories, are encoded as pinpricks on long metal ribbons winding about within their forms. New thoughts, new memories, new experiences, new knowledge: all those are added to those long, fragile strips. The body of a gearforged is designed for multiple ribbons that interact quickly with each other, and room for additional ribbons exists within them, should there be a need.

Those tapes, their very identities, can be removed and replaced by someone else’s. I’ve heard a terrifying tale of a gearforged paladin whose tapes were replaced with a killer’s, allowing the assassin to easily gain access to its target. The tapes were then switched out again with the paladin none-the-wiser until he was confronted with the crime.

The very idea of that horrifies me.

The possibility of being possessed by another is a distressing thing for any sentient being, but for it to be performed in such a cold-blooded manner, to be made a puppet to such wickedness ... the emotional heart of me goes out to that poor paladin.

Still, it leaves me uneasy whenever I meet with any gearforged I have met before - is the face I see before me really the same gearforged I know, or has it been replaced by some malignant actor?

Other significant differences exist between warforged and gearforged. Primary among them, to most ways of thinking, is that the former were created using souls, almost always stolen, from the victims of violent death, and usually through the means of a profane religious sacrifice. Although buried within our souls may be a link to the memories of the lives we lived before, we warforged do not have any way of recalling them. We may pass people we once knew every day without knowing it, and neither we nor they have any clue as to who we once were in each others‘ lives. For some of us, that is a source of great sorrow, but many warforged just accept that it’s something we can do nothing about.

Many kingdoms and religions view the act of creating a warforged, therefore, as being morally atrocious, and have banned its practice. Although warforged can live long lives, our numbers dwindle each time one of us dies. The day will likely come when there will be no more warforged. Our bodies simply carry our souls, which are held back from moving on by the nature of our creation.

Gearforged, on the other hand, are unlikely to have souls at all, at least from my perspective. Can a device, however complex, even hold a soul? They’re a privilege of the wealthy, as the process of their crafting requires a great expenditure for the materials, skills, and magic needed to transform everything contained in a given creature’s brain into those pinpricked holes in alloyed metal.

It’s like becoming a lich without getting your hands dirty or leaving yourself at risk of inevitable madness.

Perhaps I’m being unfair. Maybe it’s just my envy of those who can remember who they were before.

Is it really so simple? That gearforged have memories, but no souls, while warforged have souls without memories?

How can it be true, if the world can contain a gearforged paladin?

... I cannot imagine a paladin who does not have a soul ...

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Cliff Notes Version:

Leth'ael was born to a high elf mother and human father nearly forty years ago, though he has no memory of them. He knows only that he was raised by the priests and monks of the church, in the shining, high elven city of Velanthomyr. The priests and monks steadfastly avoided speaking to him regarding his parents, or of how he came to be adopted by the church. Or perhaps they did not know. Either way, he gave up asking decades ago.

His name, Leth'ael (meaning "Given of the Gods" in elvish), was bestowed upon him by a paternal, senior member of the clergy, Prefect Xethrym. As the elderly priest had long felt the boy's presence was no mere coincidence. That it was the Gods who sent him to be among them.

Even at an early age, it became apparent that he was a uniquely gifted child. All the more striking given his "deluded" blood. And his keen devotion to the faith meant he would likely serve the church for the rest of his life in one manner or another. So it wasn't long before he was inducted into the elite, mysterious Order of the Unseen. There, despite objections from some for his questionable lineage, he trained. Yet even in such an exclusive and demanding faction as the Unseen, he continued to excel. So much so that he would eventually be awarded the esteemed title, Hand of the Gods. A recognition not many Unseen receive. Only the most elite and devoted.

Even after graduating, his impeccable skills and devotion would eventually earn him additional bestowed honors within the Order, such as Queen's Shadow and Whispering Blade. And from his peers, singular nicknames such as the Pale Ghost and the White Raven. Though his detractors within the Order would come to call him by a far more derogatory name, the Half-Blood Hand.

Leth'ael now serves as a clandestine agent of the high elven church, tasked with eliminating difficult problems and serve the church's interests in delicate matters such that the faith may prevail and flourish. The needs of the church demand it. And Leth'ael knows only to serve. Unquestioningly.

Shiroiken

Legend
This is my current character for Primeval Thule. He's a human Druid Soothsayer.

I was an apprentice shaman of the Meru tribe of the Dhal Mesh. I learned that I could see the will of the Forest Gods by watching for Omens. This apprenticed me to the tribe shaman, who I only knew as “master.” Under his guidance, I could even summon an Omen with difficulty, but the results were often vague. He showed me prayers to the various Spirits, that they might aid me. I showed promise to become the tribe shaman when my master rejoined the Earth Spirit.

One night I was haunted by a terrible dream. The Meru were attacked by slavers, and everyone was captured. When I awoke, I was unsure if the dream was a Night Omen or simply a nightmare of my own creation. I left my hut and looked to the skies, where I saw a fluttering bat glowing in a crimson light. I knew my dream was a true Omen, and woke my master.

My master took my Omen to the chief, but he would hear none of it. He had long planned an attack against the Beastmen, and would not divert his attention, lest they slip away. He took his best warrior and myself (for my master was too old to travel) on the raid, where we crushed an encampment of Beastmen. When we returned, we found our home in ruin.

The Crimson Slavers of Marg had come, just as I predicted. They had taken most of the village, including my parents and master. The chief blamed my master in order to save his position as chief, but I could not accept this. I fled the tribe in the night, that I may one day return. Now I wander, seeking those who would listen to the words of the Forest Gods, rather than shun them.

SmokingSkull

First Post
Here's a very succinct version of the backstory for my current character: Lo'Kag "Slayer" Ogolakuno, Goliath Fighter/Barbarian.

Born in the Spine of the World he lived as a hunter and nomad. On the day of his rite of passage to become an adult he would climb to the highest summit. There he would learn of who he truly was, revealing this omen led to a disagreement with his father: the Patriarch of his clan. After giving him an ultimatum, Lo'Kag would leave his clan to travel the world to find himself. He would later join a mercenary outfit, The Army of the Red Bulwark, and would fight for them for the next twenty years.

One day his army was no more so he left to return home. He would find everyone he ever loved and cherished slain, taken from him. After burying them he would leave the Spine for good to wander for seven years. They were the roughest of times for him, but this was also when he dreamed of Haven. With renewed purpose he would set out to find and make his dream of Haven a reality.

As he charges toward the horizon of his kingdom he is joined by a new family, one who insists on sticking with him to the very end...

aco175

Legend
Finneran (Finn) the halfling thief was born on the estate of Lord Wyvernclaw, found in the Western Heartlands of FR. His mother was on the kitchen staff of the keep and Finn was raised there as well learning cooking as a skill and witnessing the brutal treatment the servants and staff received from the lord and soldiers at the keep. One day Finns mother was beaten to near death by the lord's son for a slight most would have ignored. Finn retaliated by sneaking into the bedroom of the young lord and beating him to show him how it felt, and ended up blinding the man.

Finn spent a few years hiding in the local lands and seeking aid from countryfolk who felt the tyrant's hand. Eventually he needed to flee northward and seeks enough money to create his own keep and lands where he can lord over people. He hopes he will be a just lord, but fears he may be a tyrant.

User_Undefined

First Post
Here's the monk I made for a medieval setting game that wrapped up. I'd really like to bring her back to play again at some point.

The Helders Samuel and Cassandra were a highly skilled hunter and trapper team. They disappeared one winter while out hunting and their bodies were never found, leaving their only daughter, Alyxandra, behind. She was taken in by Mother Gram, who quickly put her to work.

Originally, Alyx was the town’s unofficial delivery girl whenever someone needed one of Mother Gram’s treatments. One of those was Malik, a boy not much younger than her who was under the care of Father Dake and his acolyte Amatus. She would often deliver his medicine and then sit with him and talk.

As she grew older, she began to chafe under Mother Gram and started to look elsewhere to live and work. She ended up following Branigan around for three days until he finally let her come on a hunt. After returning, the old dwarf told her that she had “her father’s eye and her mother’s memory” and allowed her to join future hunting parties. She eventually became one of his best tree mappers, a subset of the hunters who spend more time in the trees trying to keep tabs on the migration patterns of the forest's denizens than actually hunting. They also serve as forward scouts, though the need for that skillset hasn’t arisen in decades. It was here that she met Kevin, a lumberjack turned hunter. They get along well, trading barbs about him cutting trees and her being an orphan. Both of them understand what it means to not have a "real" family. Together, are one of the first pairs Branigan calls when he needs something done.

There are three days in her life that she will never forget. The first is the day her parents vanished. The second is when she was 7 and playing hide and search with some of the other village children. Thinking she was very clever, she decided to hide in the abandoned temple. If everyone thought it was cursed, no one would ever look for her there. When she snuck in, it felt like there was a different energy inside. Old stone was completely overgrown with vines and other plant life. It felt like the forest itself was trying to claw back what had been taken from it. While hiding, she stumbled upon an old necklace with a bird’s skull on it. It wasn’t until much later that she discovered if she focused on it, she was able to cast magic. While the spells aren’t anything like what’s in Father Dake’s sermons, it made her feel special and she began learning as much about Koed, God of the Forest, as she could. The third day was when she was 17. A noble was passing through town during a festival and decided to spend the day in Corkirk. Alyx had just returned from a hunting trip and saw the young man lambasting the innkeep about the quality of his stew. She walked up to the noble, dropped her bloody kill onto his lap, and said that if he was going to complain about it, he might as well make his own meal. It was after this that she learned the man was a noble, but she didn’t back down and wondered out loud if he could cook, or if he had to order his servants to do everything for him. The noble stood up and drew a sword, and that’s when Alyx realized just how big a mistake she made. She sprinted out of town and hid in the forest for two weeks just to make sure the noble had left. Since then, she’s gotten better about choosing her words, but sometimes she still doesn’t think about who she’s talking to before saying what’s on her mind.

While not a regular patron, she's known by face and by name at the tavern for its regular fight tournaments where she consistently makes it to the later rounds and has occasionally won against opponents much bigger and stronger than her.

And my warlock that specifically didn't make a deal to get his powers, but had them literally thrust into him.

Chandris was the son of a whitesmith. Most of his father's work came from the local lord, though occasionally a wizard or fiend hunter would commission a ward or binding circle. Chandris was discovered to have some minor talent for magic when he accidentally melted a pewter ring he was helping with when he was 5. Thought to be more sorcerous in origin than wizardly, Chandris stayed with his family and tried to learn to work magic into his father's creations.

When he was 11, his town was attacked and he was captured. A wizard among the captors noticed his talent and claimed rights to him. Claiming that she was trying to discover the Pathway of Magic, the wizard bound him in chains that suppressed his ability to call upon magic and ran experiments on Chandris for months while using him as a manservant. This finally culminated with the wizard strapping Chandris down within a binding circle and summoning a fiend, using Chandris' body as a medium. For a week, the wizard interrogated the fiend, until another captor made a mistake and bent the binding circle. When the wizard tried to question the fiend that night, it broke the circle and killed her. Using Chandris' body as a puppet, the fiend razed the whole encampment. As it was leaving, it stepped over a wagon wheel. Summoning as much power as he could, Chandris turned the wheel into an impromptu binding circle. Caught off guard, the fiend vanished from Chandris' mind and he passed out.

He awoke among the dying embers of his prison to a small pup licking his face. Chandris now had ritual-looking sigils burned into his back and neck, but he couldn't hear the fiend. He gathered what he could and began traveling back to his home. On the third night he began to see the spirits. Some were victims of circumstance like him. Some were power-hungry and wicked. There were stable hands and kings, bandits and knights, court jesters and arch-mages. Either way, they had all fallen under or to the power of the fiend that had possessed Chandris.

When he finally arrived to his home, it was filled with strangers. After the attack that had taken him away, another lord had taken residence in the castle. Overcome with grief, Chandris knelt in front of what had once been his family's home and screamed. He felt the sigils on his body heat and glow before fire exploded around him. As he looked through the flames, he saw villagers staring at him with fear and mistrust. Reacting, he fled the town before they could gather the courage to chase him. As he ran, he heard in the whispers of his mind the sound of a fiend chuckling. Knowing that whatever happened on that wagon wheel did not excise the fiend, Chandris has spent his life searching for a way to rid himself of this dark influence, occasionally seeking advice from the spirits of those already lost.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Okay, this is my character in the secondary campaign my group is currently playing, which is also a homebrew setting.

THISS'LARO, LIGHT DOMAIN CLERIC
Thiss was hatched in the north, to a lizardfolk tribe that dwelled within a hidden valley located deep within the mountains of the dragonborn.
He learned the ways of his people. How to hunt, track, and harvest from the carcasses of his kills.
Most importantly, he learned the prayers and rituals that honor Hades the Red Sun, God of the dead
Being a lizardfolk, he hibernates during the four months of deep winter, during which time the planet is being exchanged between the Yellow Sun of Apollo, and the Red Sun of Hades.

After reaching adulthood, Thiss grew curious about the lands beyond the mountains, and made his way down into the prairies and grasslands of the Mammalian races.
During his visit to a mammalian monastery, Thiss had a vision of a mace studded with dragon teeth . . . A wondrous vision especially considering that the dragons disappeared millennia ago.

While staying at the monastery, Thiss also made a connection with a number of mammals: a Half-Triton female Bard with amnesia, a Centaur male Druid, two Aasimar Monks (one male, one female), a female Wood Elf Rogue, a particularly libidinous Wood Elf male Ranger, and another Druid of a species Thiss has never heard of or encountered before.

During his first adventure with his new companions, Thiss proved himself a terrifying force of both melee and ranged combat.
From the Half-Triton he learned that mammals conceal their bodies with something called "clothes".
From the Aasimar female he also learned that mammals find the sight of harvesting material from the carcasses of the dead disturbing, even when the deceased belong to that most odious of creatures, the Ogres.

Thiss is greatly intrigued by his vision of a dragontoothed mace, and wonders if he will have the privilege of finding it.

EDIT
For those curious how a Light Domain Cleric can be good in melee, Thiss has a strength of 16, the highest of anybody in the party.
also, the hungry jaws racial trait. Because Lizardfolk.

Last edited:

sydbar

Explorer
This is the background of my Orc Necromancer for an all Orc campaign that we started well over a year ago.

Zenob was born of the Garbanz tribe of mountain orcs who use the fallen(enemy and friendly) as part of their army, due to his intelligence he was sent to be an apprentice to the great orc Wizard Rosh Mog who single handedly defeated the great frost giant invasion. 8 years later after being decently trained in necromancy, and spending a lot of time reading books, he was sent to join the orc war party and eventually use the enemy against themselves. Zenob was given a coin that held the spirit of his grandfather, Yaktuk who taught Zenob a modified version of the Find Familiar spell that would allow Yaktuk to become Zenob's familiar.

transtemporal

Explorer
Honest Haszlo (Halfling Bard)
Haszlo's immediate concerns are making a profit and staying alive to enjoy it. His best mate is a Succubus called Kylie. She's a riot and an excellent listener.

Jarvik (Human Barbarian)
Jarvik is 6'2” 200lbs with tanned, leathery skin, brown eyes and long black hair. He has a shaggy moustache and beard, and many tattoos of both dwarven and human origin. His clothes are stained and unkempt and he stinks of stale tobacco, rank sweat and death. Despite his generally feral and monstrous aspect, an alarming grin and a hearty chuckle are never far away (especially at halflings and gnomes, whom he regards with a childlike delight).

Jarvik has a robust disrespect for law and order and people who wear fancy shoes. They oppress The People for The Man and artificially hike shoe prices to place them out of the reach of the common folk. Super not cool. Lest it be said that Jarvik overthinks things, he sometimes picks up causes for no better reason than siding with the underdog. Case in point: he joined the Shadowthieves because they were being oppressed by the Amnian authorities. It turned out the Shadowthieves were actually really evil so he legged it after a kicking incident left a fellow member dead. (There was probably a good reason for it, who knows). When he's in his cups he likes to gamble at dice, hit on dwarven woman, philosophise about the proletariat and tell a story about a bear that he talks to in the woods called Broadfoot.

Last edited:

Remove ads