• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Building Challenge: Master Swordsman

EroGaki

First Post
I come to the people of EN World to assist me on this project. The goal is to make a master swordsman for a campaign I'm going to be playing in; a warrior who is deadly with a blade in his hand. The character starts out 11th level, and I rolled the following stats: 17, 15, 15, 15, 15, 13.
I can use *most* WotC books; my DM fears what he doesn't understand, and he refuses to take the time to remedy his lack of knowledge in certain areas (psionics and incarnum, mainly).

The Master Swordsman has to live up to certain guidelines:

1. He must have a high base attack bonus, and the ability to dish out a good amount of damage.
2. He must rely on skill, not armor, to defend himself. The over-dependence on armor is one of the main things that turns me off to warrior types; a fighter without any armor is basically a sitting duck, and even a unskilled commoner has a good chance of hitting him. In my mind, a master of swordplay should be capable of defending himself with skill of arms. He should be restricted to light or no armor, if possible.
3. Beyond basic attacks, he must be skilled with advanced combat maneuvers, such as disarming and tripping his opponents.
4. He should be light on his feet. The ability to balance oneself, to duck and move if necessary is a must.
5. He must have a high amount of HP, which is required of any warrior type.
6. I would like to avoid gish-builds. I'm looking for a pure swordsman, not one who can augment himself which magic.

I hope you all can help me. I know I'm asking a lot, but I'd like to see how close the build cvan get to the mental image I have of a Master Swordsman. Thanks :)

Elethiomel

First Post
What sort of weapon are you looking for? If you want a two-handed weapon you should go for a strength build, which will necessitate a lower dexterity and hence the defense problem you described. However, if you're willing to fight with two short swords, I want to suggest the following (loose) build:

Swashbuckler 3 - this gives Weapon Finesse as bonus feat and +int to damage (on top of strength for finessable weapons) Full BAB, d10 HD, maneuverability and social skills. Also gives a dodge bonus to AC. Found in Complete Warrior.

Swordsage 2 (to 4) - this gives access to stances and maneuvers, and Wisdom to AC in light armour. You should take a Shadow Hand stance and take the Shadow Blade feat, which gives you +dex to damage (instead of strength, so it stacks with the swashbuckler bonus) with Shadow Hand weapons, which includes the short sword (and also a collection of non-sword weapons) when you're in a Shadow Hand stance (all the time if you wish it). 3/4 BAB and the only place you'd lose BAB, d8 HD, lots of maneuverability skills. If your game applies multiclassing XP penalty you will want to play a human or a race with Figther as favoured class. Found in Tome of Battle (Book of Nine Swords).

Fighter 6 (if only 2 levels in Swordsage, less if more) - this gives you the feats required to keep up your two-weapon fighting, your trip and disarm feats (which won't be great, admittedly, without a great STR stat and a two-handed weapon, but will be better than average), and Daring Warrior from Complete Scoundrel to stack your fighter levels and Swashbuckler levels for the purposes of dodge bonus, grace bonus to reflex saves, and qualifying for fighter feats that require a certain fighter level.

Stats should be CHA 13, DEX 17, rest 15. Increase INT and DEX at 4 and 8 respectively to get your AC and damage up (and more skill points earlier, thus earlier INT increase), WIS at 12 when you get it to raise your AC another point. You should be able to afford a +4 item to DEX at level 11, making a Mithral Chain Shirt ideal for armor (if you play a human).

AC would be something like,
10 Base
+6 DEX (with +4 item)
+6 Mithral Chain Shirt +2
+3 WIS (with +2 item)
+1 Natural Armor (item)
+2 Deflection (item)
28 -- more if you spend more resources on it, naturally.

Attack and damage would be something like,
+10 BAB, +1 Weapon Focus (for free with Swordsage 1), +6 DEX, +1 (weapon) = +18
16/16/11/11 with the appropriate two-weapon feats, and,
6 DEX + 4 INT (with +2 item) +1 (Weapon) = 11
1d6+11 for each attack.

I haven't done the math on the cost of the items. I may be way off base in either direction.

If that's not your cup of tea, also look at the Warblade in the Book of Nine Swords. The class gives access to different (and fewer) maneuvers than the Swordsage, but the maneuvers it does grant access to can be used more often, and can cover the trip and disarm schticks without having to spend feats on them. Full BAB, d12 HD, a good amount of maneuverability skills.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
(I didn't notice El's mention of Warblades till I was about to post this. Still, I typed all this out, I'm not going to just NOT post it now. :p )

It sounds like straight Warblade may be perfect for your idea, if the DM allows Tome of Battle (I sense he doesn't, though). My last Warblade was a "Samurai" (as in title, not class) that was a Warblade focused primarily on Iron Heart (which has low level maneuvers for parrying and disarming) and Diamond Mind (mostly for devastating strikes, as well as Insightful Strike and Greater IS, which use your concentration check for damage instead of strength and weapon dice). Such a build could work equally well as a Master Swordsman instead of a Samurai.

Warblades generally use light armor and have Tumble as a class skill, so no worries about needing full plate.
The class has full BAB, d12 HD, and has plenty of high-damage maneuvers. There's also the Stormguard Warrior tactical feat for the Iron Heart discipline, which without even trying too hard can ramp up your damage. If you DO try hard, well...it's a pretty famous feat on the wotc character optimization boards. :)
Warblades also are somewhat int-based, eventually gaining intelligence to reflex saves, critical confirmation, damage against flatfooted/flanked foes, etc... If you wanted a savvy swordsman, the class rewards a good int score as well.

Far as tripping, unfortunately Warblades do not get the Setting Sun discipline (lots of trip and throw maneuvers, think judo), but they do gat a few bonus feats, making it easier to get tripping ability from feats. You could go with Combat Expertise (required), Improved Trip, and Curling Wave Strike (trade in your bonus attack after a trip to try and trip another foe within reach). Or go with Combat Reflexes and work your way towards Defensive Throw, from Complete Warrior.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I guess I'll be the one to ask this... What style are you going for with your "Master Swordsman"? Historically (and in-game) there are a wide variety of combat styles for swords. The four basics are these: Sword and shield, 2 swords, 2-handed sword, and single sword.

There are, as with all things, pros and cons to each style.

The impression I get from your writing suggests to me that you want someone more "speed and accuracy" than "chop again and again until bad guy falls down". And, in that case, I would suggest twin blades or a single blade (and maybe a buckler to go with).

For twin blades, I like the Elven Lightblade and Thinblade (both in the back of Complete Warrior). Exotic, 1d6 and 1d8 damage respectively, both have 18-20 crit threat base and can use Finesse. Swashbuckler with some Ftr thrown in (and perhaps Swordsage or Warblade, I can't comment on those. No ToB for me) would make a reasonable starting point. Maybe two levels of Rgr for TWF... I don't know...

As to feats... If you go the 2 swords route, you might take Improved Buckler Defense (Complete Warrior) and get a Mithril Buckler with a little enhancement bonus. Shield Specialization (optional, PH2) adds a little more to your AC and Shield Ward will throw that buckler onto your Touch AC. If you don't like that, the Two-Weapon Defense feats would be an option. Of course, you need to make a full attack to get that shield bonus (I think... Away from books). Naturally, whether you go Short Swords or the Elven Blades, pick up Improved Critical. A bigger threat range is always better. It's especially fun when you have two blades with 2 or 3 attacks each full attack and they both have a threat of 15-20. It gives you a nice crit chance every round.

I would suggest going with Trip over Disarm. You never know if you will be facing creatures that rely on weapons, but you can usually figure they will have legs ;).

Starbuck_II

First Post
I come to the people of EN World to assist me on this project. The goal is to make a master swordsman for a campaign I'm going to be playing in; a warrior who is deadly with a blade in his hand. The character starts out 11th level, and I rolled the following stats: 17, 15, 15, 15, 15, 13.
I can use *most* WotC books; my DM fears what he doesn't understand, and he refuses to take the time to remedy his lack of knowledge in certain areas (psionics and incarnum, mainly).

The Master Swordsman has to live up to certain guidelines:
1. He must have a high base attack bonus, and the ability to dish out a good amount of damage.
How high are we talking here?
2. He must rely on skill, not armor, to defend himself. The over-dependence on armor is one of the main things that turns me off to warrior types; a fighter without any armor is basically a sitting duck, and even a unskilled commoner has a good chance of hitting him. In my mind, a master of swordplay should be capable of defending himself with skill of arms. He should be restricted to light or no armor, if possible.
So Light or no armor?
This will be hard, but sure.
Swordsage is best bet.
3. Beyond basic attacks, he must be skilled with advanced combat maneuvers, such as disarming and tripping his opponents.
Question: is he going to be doing this every once in a while or specialized in tripping/disarm?
4. He should be light on his feet. The ability to balance oneself, to duck and move if necessary is a must.
Balance and tumble ranks?
5. He must have a high amount of HP, which is required of any warrior type.
How high?
6. I would like to avoid gish-builds. I'm looking for a pure swordsman, not one who can augment himself which magic.
So no spellcasters?

11th level:
Binder 7/Swordsage 4
BAB: +8/+3 (while low, it will be enough)
Saves (before mods): 6/6/9
Hp: 11d8 (only 1 less than a D10 om average)
I suggest for Stats be rearraged:
15, 15, 15, 13, 17, 15 (since wisdom will be a important stat for AC).
I suggest Stat increases to Wisdom and Con (one increases AC and the other hps)
So before magic items we get:
15, 15, 16, 13, 18, 15
Stances: 2 (1 1st and 1 up to 3rd)
Total Manuevers: 9 (6 up to 2nd, 2 up to 3rd, and 1 up to 4th), but ready only 5.
Discipline Focus: Weapon focus with chosen discipline and Wisdom to damage from strikes from a Discipline.
Wisdom to AC in light armor.
Vestiges up to 3rd (4th with Improved Binding feat)
Immune to fear and 2 Pact Augments:
I suggest +2 insight attack rolls or Armor bonus depending on if they are too low for you.
Alternatively, 2 resist 5 to a certain energies might be helpful if fight alot of certain energies or 1 Resist 10.
Vestiges to improve your fighting ability (I'm assuming took Improved Binding here), I left out ones that don't fit your character: You choose 1 each day (2 possible next level)
1) Agares: Earth + Air mastery, so you fight better if foe on ground and airborne foes do worse against you.
2) Andras: Smite Good or Evil, 1/5 rounds, adding usually Cha to hit and Binder level to damage. Also summon a mount 1/day. And Improved Critical.
3) Buer: Fast Healing (so you can stay in the fight longer)/immune disease and poison.
4) Eurynome: DR 2/lawful, Summon a Maul (large magic Warhammer) useable in one hand that you are proficient with.
5) Paimon: +4 Dex, Whirlwind Attack feat, Uncanny Dodge, +4 perform and Tumble checks, Weapon Finesse with Rapoer/Short sword, Dance of Death (can move by enemies and strike them once each) 1/5 rounds.

Manuevers ideas: (I mark what school beforethe manuver)
1) Set-Mighty Throw/ Devastating Throw (acts like a trip, no provoke)
2) Set-Baffling Defense
3) Stone Dragon-Charging Minotuar: it acts like bull rush + damages foe.
4) Stone Dragon-Mountain Hammer: ignore DR/Hardness, +2d6 damage
5) Tiger-Sudden Jump- Jump as swift action (better getting into the battle maybe?)
6) Diamond-Sapphire Nightmare Blade: Concentration check vs opponent's AC, succeed they are flat foot against attack +1d6 damage. Still roll attack roll, but this has a chance to make it easier to hit.
7) Diamond-Emerald Razor: Make a touch attack with melee weapon instead of melee attack to deal damage (makes it a whole lot easier to hit).
8) Feigned Opening: You let your self look open to attack in order to trap the foe.
9) Ruby Nightmare Blade: Concentration check vs opponent's AC, succeed melee attack deals double damage. Still roll attack roll, but this has a chance to make it easier to kill foe. If fail check, deal only normal damage with -2 penalty to hit.

Runestar

First Post
There is this setting sun stance which lets you make a 5-ft move when you are attacked. So unless your opponent has extra reach, this means that you can never get hit by melee attacks (because you will have moved out of range before before his attack resolves). Might fulfill the "relies on skill to defend himself" bit.

Your image of a master swordsman is still fairly vague. Can you be more specific? Like what sort of weapon would you have him wield? How would he fight?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There is this setting sun stance which lets you make a 5-ft move when you are attacked. So unless your opponent has extra reach, this means that you can never get hit by melee attacks (because you will have moved out of range before before his attack resolves).

The opponent still has a 5 ft step of his own, so you'd need two step backs in general. Problem is, the free 5 ft steps burn up AoO's, so doing this requires Combat Reflexes in order to be viable even for a duelist character, never mind escaping several attackers. Also, it is level 5, so you couldn't obtain it until level 9+, which might be an issue. Other than that, yeah it's a great stance for a graceful swordsman. I REALLY wish there was a Warblade type class that got IH, DM, and SS disciplines together to really load up on the "skilled swordsman" maneuvers and stances.

I still think Iron Heart and Diamond Mind is just as good a way to go, and you get full BAB from Warblade. Stances would likely be mostly Diamond Mind. The initial stance at level 1 gives you +2 AC against a single foe and -2 against any others. You can always choose to have no stance if this becomes a problem and enter it once enemy numbers have dwindled. The next stance, Pearl of Black Doubt, gives you +2 dodge AC (cumulative) for every time you are missed by an attack (and resets each round), and would serve a similar purpose to the stance Runestar mentioned. Hearing the Air allows you some means of sensing invisible foes. Finally, Stance of Alacrity effectively lets you use a counter as a free action once per round, so you can do more things like parry (Wall of Blades) and turn a miss into a hit (Lightning Recovery) per turn.

Again, it's a shame you can't get all 3 disciplines from a base class. The high level Setting Sun maneuver "Fool's Strike" would be particularly fitting for a master swordsman.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I agree, either swordsage or warblade is the way to go. (Perhaps a mixture of both)

I second this opinion. If Bo9S is in the mix, these classes offer so many maneuver options that they're hard to beat.

On the off chance that the OP is looking for an interesting system to design a character, check out my sig (and forgive me for self-promotion). There you will find a product for people looking to design the character they want to play without having to mix and match classes to get the character you want. Yes, I realize your DM likely won't go for it, but it's an interesting perspective to character building.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads