• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Building Challenge: Master Swordsman

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You can always use martial study to acquire cross-class maneuvers, or maybe even enter master of 9.:)

That's prohibitively expensive for the benefit, and you'd still have the same number of maneuvers readied no matter how many times you took the feat (and you can only take it 3 times by RAW anyway). Master of Nine would work, it'd also kill the BAB even more (assuming you start as swordsage, since it's the easiest to qualify) and REALLY drain your feat choices.

Runestar

First Post
Warblade too can enter master of 9 just fine (you just need to "waste" a feat on martial study to get the prerequisite maneuvers from 6 different schools). Their bonus feats can be used to meet part of the feat requirements.

Splashing 2 lvs for swordsage is tempting. His stats appear good enough to support MAD, and free weapon focus makes up for the lost bab. Not to mention the extra maneuvers...

There are quite a number of ways we can approach this build. Any way to narrow the focus somewhat?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't feel like delving any deeper into ToB builds until I know he even wants to / can use the book. :)

There are other ways to make a master swordsman to the OP's specifications. I liked ToB because you can just go [base class] 20 and accomplish it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd favor Ftr, PsyWar, Swashbucklers or Paladins for the basis, partnered with Monk or OA Shaman (3.5 update in Dragon#318). Using the Feat Unorthodox Flurry and equipping him with a Shortsword or Rapier.

For PrCls, I like:

1) Kensai, Whatever he lacks in BAB will be offset by his Kensai bonuses- especially the +8Str boost power.

2) Shiba Defender with one of the above adds a Wis bonus to Att & Defense (as well as to his AC if he has Monk levels).

3) Shou Disciple. He would eventually get FoB with any weapon...in armor.

I'd favor a Dex build with a finesseable sword, and exploit the Combat Reflexes feat tree.

EroGaki

First Post
Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. My vague description is somewhat deliberate; I'm open to ideas about the actual weapon, whether or not to go two-weapon fighting, and the like.

I like Bo9S, but my DM has mixed feelings. He doesn't like many of the powers because they appear too wuxia. So if I use any of the material, I'm not allowed to use powers that make my character too Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. My vague description is somewhat deliberate; I'm open to ideas about the actual weapon, whether or not to go two-weapon fighting, and the like.

I like Bo9S, but my DM has mixed feelings. He doesn't like many of the powers because they appear too wuxia. So if I use any of the material, I'm not allowed to use powers that make my character too Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
My suggestions aren't wuxia unless martial arts are wuxia: I mean I've done the throwing manuvers in real life and I can't fancy my self as wiuxia (I'm not not flying like Hidden Dragon)

Stay clear of Shadow Hand and Desert Wind are you'll be fine (those are the supernatural disciplines). Devoted Spirit is a little supernatural but mostly extraordinary.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
My suggestions aren't wuxia unless martial arts are wuxia: I mean I've done the throwing manuvers in real life and I can't fancy my self as wiuxia (I'm not not flying like Hidden Dragon)

Stay clear of Shadow Hand and Desert Wind are you'll be fine (those are the supernatural disciplines). Devoted Spirit is a little supernatural but mostly extraordinary.

Devoted Spirit SHOULD be a lot more magical than it is. Like...all of the healing and alignment-based stuff was made Supernatural in my games and my friends'.

But the three we've been promoting, DM, IH, and SS are fairly non-"wuxia." The only DM stuff that enters that realm is the "mind over matter" save replacements possibly. Iron Heart's only real quasi-magical ability is Iron Heart Surge (again, RAW is extraordinary, but probably shouldn't be. We made it Su but with the ability to end effects that would prevent use of Su abilities normally, like AMF.) I guess if you think any kind of large dose of instant healing is magical, Iron Heart Endurance might also cross your DM's line. Setting Sun at lower levels is almost entirely "realistic" and really resembles judo. Later on, it gets a bunch of abilities that are clearly over the top. For example, Ballista Throw hurls the foe 60 ft and creates a line attack. Apparently so fast and viscous no reflex save is allowed to those in the way. Ghostly Defense is blatantly magical, and Tornado Throw is just ridiculous to picture. At the high level you get them it's no big deal, but your DM may not like them.

Other non-wuxia schools would be White Raven, Tiger Claw, and maybe Stone Dragon, IMO. I don't think they would fit your concept, though.

So, assuming you do go with Tome of Battle, how much emphasis on fighting do you want your maneuvers to have? Swordsage is all about the maneuvers, Warblade has far less to use but gets more feats, BAB, and combat bonuses to cover him. Both can do light armor, tumbling, balancing, etc...

Draz

Explorer
Yeah ... I know I'm repeating people here, but to affirm, there are two main ways you can go with your concept:

1) Psychic Warrior/Slayer.
2) Warblade, with dips in Swordsage, Fighter, and/or Swashbuckler.

If your DM doesn't like Psionics, the first option is out. (Even if you chose this one, you'd have to avoid certain powers that would make you feel too much like a Gish.)

Never fear, though, it's perfectly possible to make a Warblade swordsman who doesn't feel supernatural at all.

Are you planning on a Greatsword? Longsword (or Bastard Sword) and Shield? Rapier? Or two-weapon (probably Short Sword)? Any are viable, with ToB help.

Thanael

Explorer
Here are a few more oldschool builds:

You could tweak Erland's Philippe Fitzroi swashbuckler build slightly. (An 8th level Rog/Swashbuckler/Fighter/Duelist , I have some notes on tweaking him but can't acces them now)

Elder-Basilisk's excellent Gypsy Swordmaster from the D100 NPCs thread is probably a little to weak for your goals and also relies on lesser magic. (a swashbuckler/hexblade)

Or tweak iwatt's Varadis Telamon low-magic-world fencing master build. (Uses core only, plus one feat from CW, a rog/ftr/duelist. Read it for the cool backstory.)

Last edited:

Remove ads