• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Concepts

Presto2112

Explorer
Let's see what I have lined up:

* A dwarf wizard who is an expert in force magic (Argent Savant prestige class, my current character)
* A NG human cleric of Pelor with a Major Vampiric Bloodline
* A dwarf fighter / rogue who can leap around like a lunatic in full plate and fights with a polearm
* A goliath tempest with a chronic hunchback from living in the tunnels of a dwarf clan for the last 15 years

Stormborn

Explorer
- A halfling urban barbarian who grew up in the massive city dumping ground along with a mixed tribe of humans and halflings who had no where else to go. He became a warrior hunting direrats and worse things in the dump and sewers, and drew first blood fighting with rival gangs.
- A human bard in a big city who essential works as intelligence for the mob. He is very good at finding people who don't want to be found and judging what is valuable and how hard it might be to get.
- A human cleric of a God of Adventurers who goes around winging her deities warhammer icon and pontificating about "the forging of out true souls" and "the refining of our selves in the firey tests of battle."
- A half-orc druid who follows the rat totem. He lives in the same urban dump as the halfling above.
- I'm no min/maxer, but I do have a shameful secret desire to develop a dwarven chain fighter who was a former slave and still uses the shackles he was imprisoned with as his weapon. He has had them reforged into a proper chain. He is scarred, and probablly a eunech, but fiercly fights against all forms of slavery and opression.
-A human monk who is dedicated to the god of roads. He walks the world as a form of religious devotion. He is duty bound to aid in the repair of roads and bridges and to work to clear any path from obstacles which imped free movement, whether it be a fallen tree or a tribe of orcs or a tyranical lord's toll booth.
- A human Paladin/Ranger (with a feat to allow free mutliclassing) from an order called the Harriers of Heaven who hunts evil outsiders and those that serve them on the fringes of civilization. Roughly dressed and very unkempt, he doesn't look like your typical paladin and is always in the company of hunting dogs.
- An elven rogue who is actually a scholar looking for the origins of the long lost Eldar Elves.
- A Sorcerer with a Fiendish Bloodline who is trying desperatelly to hide that fact. He is on the run from his family, an evil noble family in a distant kingdom. He wants to be good, but has trouble fighting off his baser impulses, especially when it comes to women.
-A Wizard who specializes in constructs and is secretlly looking for a path to immortality by transfering his mind into a construct body. He hates undead, and has not only rejected the idea of becomeing a lich but has made every effort to destroy undead at every turn.

Thats just one for each of the core classes. I could go on about Battle Dancers (Dragon Compendium) who are the priestesses of a godess of flame and passion or Aasimar Warlocks who are decended from renegade angels, but I will stop there. For Now.
-

sniffles

First Post
It's funny to see this thread topic here - yesterday I posted in a thread of the same topic on the GiantITP forum. :)

Currently one of my favorite 'dream concepts' is a dwarf Hammer of Moradin, a cleric/fighter who's gone out into the world to smite the enemies of Moradin. I just really want to use that PrC's 'quake' special ability, and the returning hammer ability. Yeah, sometimes I'm a munchkin. :eek:

A spirit folk shaman - not the spirit shaman, but the Oriental Adventures shaman. Spirit shaman sounds like it would be perfect for spirit folk (the Forgotten Realms spirit folk, not the OA ones), but the description in both FR and OA says they're not interested in trying to manipulate the spirit realm. Since they seem to come from a sort of mystical tribal culture the OA shaman seems better suited to that race.

A wizard from a different culture than whatever culture is prevalent in the campaign, using the wu jen class to simulate a different type of magical learning. Then take that wu jen into the Elemental Savant PrC.

A gnome beguiler in the Eberron setting. It just seems like a perfect match of race, class, and setting. The gnome would use the beguiler's abilities to manipulate others into acting for the greater good, since I don't like playing evil characters. She might have learned the Zilargo gnome ways of secrecy but she doesn't really like them. Yet she can't change her nature or her upbringing.

A shifter ranger who was raised by wolves.

A half-drow ranger or druid who was adopted by a kindly druid and raised in isolation in the wilderness, so the prejudice against drow comes as a horrible shock to her.

In a campaign I'm currently in the PCs were all indirectly brought together by a paladin of Lathander, so there's a continiung thread of 'new beginnings' running through the game. In the course of the campaign we've met a tiefling NPC who was offered a 'new beginning' by the paladin, and had a PC in the party who was once a sort of mob enforcer but decided to pursue a new beginning by joining our group. Should my current character ever be lost, I'm always thinking of what I'd want to play in his stead; I've imagined using the half-drow concept in this campaign, as well as a genasi streetfighter character.

An elf paladin. I love playing elves and I've never run a paladin.

A cleric of Kelemvor dedicated to destroying undead and bringing peaceful passage to the afterlife to every dying person she encounters. She'd have to stop in every farm and village to minister to the dying, and she'd always want to coup-de-gras her enemies so they wouldn't suffer.

I have tons more - I'd better stop now.

Robert Ranting

First Post
As-yet-Unused concepts

I mostly play Arcana Evolved or hybrid AE/D&D games nowadays, but I picked up PHB2, and it's given me an idea for at least one new character, an as-yet-unnamed Warforged Duskblade.

While I'm not terribly familiar with Eberron, I like the idea that he was involved in a battle and disabled, lying face-down in a forest somewhere, dimly aware of the passage of time and his surroundings, but unable to move. After at least a year (time enough for all 4 seasons to pass), he was found by a group of Elves, who managed to re-activate him, and took him back to their settlement. Fascinated by the Elves, and by Nature, but limited by his low wisdom and charisma, the character would be somewhat more angsty than I'm used to playing, struggling with his artificial nature, and feeling that he is somehow inferior to living creatures. Seeing his inner turmoil with his own contradictory nature as a feeling machine, the Elves trained him as a Duskblade, hoping that by learning to reconcile the disparate elements of spellcraft and swordplay, he might reconcile his own nature. If nothing else, following the disciplined path necessary to master both sword and spell has given him something to do with his time, studying swordplay by day, and magic by night. As a result of his inferiority complex, he would treat non-warforged with respect and defer to the decisions of others, particularly Elves and Druids or Rangers, when inter-party decisions are to be made, even if the idea is a bad one. He would be uncomfortable around other Warforged, especially those who follow the Lord of Blades, who's ideals are in opposition to his own.
Mechanically, I like the idea of him having the Mithril Body feat, and taking the Expertise tree, to get the most out of his relatively high intelligence. Fascinated by the idea of Druidic magic, but unable to cast most of it because he was constructed with a mithril body, his favorite spell would be Animalistic Power.

Robert "Think Bicentennial Man, Only Violent and Medieval" Ranting

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
I have been itching to use an Archivist/Wizard with a necromancer inclination (not to be confused with the Dread Necromancer, which I do not like). Maybe a Dr. Frankenstein sort of a personality with his science (arcane) mixed up with his morality (divine).

Another combo I have worked on for a bit but still have not had the opportunity to play is a Dwarven Lumberjack. Some of the design work was accomplished here on ENWorld.
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=148907

X

xnosipjpqmhd

I'd like to play a character (pick any class, any race) whose worldview and self-image change significantly at the end of the campaign as the result of finally confronting and overcoming the seemingly insurmountable problem (pick any self-imposed limitation) that has held him/her back throughout the campaign. ;-)

RigaMortus2

First Post
Lawful Neutral Warforged Incarnate
A character I am currently playing, that I really enjoy. The concept is that it is a "construct" that was brought to life via Incarnum (the very power of "souls"). The soulmelds are not these "magic items" which float around him (as described in the Magic of Incarnum book). Instead, they are parts of the construct which "transform" as needed. An example would be the Airstep Sandles. I describe them as little rocket boosts (think R2D2 rocket boosts from Episode 2) that come out of my feet that allow me to fly a small distance. Lightning Gauntlets charge my hands with electrical energy, like a sparkplug. Dissolving Spittle is really an oily substance that I spit out (which has the same acid effect as the soulmeld). Basically, the soulmelds have the same effects, I just describe what they look like differently. Now the other part of the equation is the alignment. I am playing a "robot" (if you will) that has no care of "good" and "evil". He does what he is programmed/ordered/told to do. This is the Lawful Neutral aspect. Like Data (from Star Trek) he eventually evolves and wants to be "more human" so I am dipping a few levels into Reforged PrC.

Quickdraw
Another idea I had was a dual wand wielder. Think of a quick drawing sharp shooter of the Old West. Instead of pistols, he quickdraws magic wands. Probably an Artificer would be a good choice.

Remove ads