Character Creation and Age

LucasC

First Post
We will be creating characters tonight and I want to make sure I have this correct. Let me know if I am doing this right please.

John Doe is a doctor.

Species = human

Background choices (using the updated College choice)​
- Wealthy Upbringing (-1 End / +1 Int)​
- College I (+1 Int / +1 Cha)​
- College II (+1 Int / +1 Cha)​
- College III (+1 Int / +1 Cha)​
- Doctor (+1 Int / +1 Cha)​

Before age modifiers, this character has the following stats:
S- 2
A- 2
E- 1
I- 7
W- 2
C- 6

The character will begin play as either an adult or a young adult. Let's assume adult.

Adult = +1 Str, +1 Int

Final scores: (Human +1 goes into End to avoid a detriment)
S- 3
A- 2
E- 2
I- 8
W- 2
C- 6

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That looks about right. I think that career progression shows up a design flaw - not every college graduate should have drastically below average stamina. I'll have to look into that.

For the record, that age modifier chart is one of the things I'm least sure about in the game.

The intention is that age matters, but that all ages are equally viable. I want an elderly character to feel different to a youthful one, but not penalise the player.

My thoughts at the moment are to remove the ability mods, and replace them with access to age-related traits. An old character would have access to traits that a young one would not, and vice versa. In that way, age flavours the character without penalizing the player.

The second idea I have is that each age category grants a special ability. You lose the ability as you age through categories, but gain new ones. I like that idea aesthetically, but I've been able to come up with 9 special abilities!

Thoughts are very welcome on this, as the age system definitely needs a lot of work!

Last edited:

Remove ads