Character Creation Help (My DM, stay out!)

Kender42

Explorer
Okay, our DM has challenged our group. He is bringing back an old 2nd edition campaign arch-villain into 3.5 and wants to have us fight it.

Great Wyrm Red Dragon which will end up being CR30 or so, with access to all Draconomicon feats.

I am going to be playing the cleric, and I want to enlist the finest brains here on Enworld to help me create a smack-downy cleric that will let us survive and perhaps even win.

We have these restrictions:
20th level
Non-Evil
Any race from Core rulebooks
Magic items totalling 183k, none of which can be singly worth more than 100k.
Sourcebooks allowed:
PHB3.5, DMG3.5, MM3.5, Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Draconomicon, the 3.0 splatbooks (MoTW, S&F, etc), Book of Exalted Deeds, Unearthed Arcana.

I made a Favored Soul from CDivine, but I'm not too happy with it yet.
Code:
Male Human FvS20;						
Medium Humanoid; CR 20;
HD 20d8+20; hp 142;
Init +6; Spd 30 ft/x4;
AC 26 (+9 armor, +5 shield, +2 dex), touch 12, flat-footed 24;
Base Atk/Grapple +15/+14;

Full Atk +23/+18/+13 One-handed  (1d6+2;20/x2,  +1 Light Mace), +18/+13/+8 Two-handed  (1d8+1;19-20/x2,  +1 Light Crossbow);

AL CG; SV Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +18;
Str 9(-1), Dex 15(+2), Con 13(+1), Int 14(+2), Wis 22(+6), Cha 28(+9);

Skills: Concentration¹ +24, Heal¹ +16, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Knowledge (religion) +10, 
Knowledge (the planes) +10, Spellcraft +20, Spot¹ +18.

Feats: Improved Initiative, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, 
Weapon Focus(Light Mace), Weapon Specialization(Light Mace), Craft Wand, 
Augment Healing, Reach Spell, Sudden Maximize, Intuitive Attack

All he can do really is cast spells spontaneously. I have been going through the EN archives, but haven't found too many clerical smackdowns yet. So, I figured I would ask for ideas. Anyone? :)

Thanks in advance!

Chris Nagle

First Post
Thought of becoming a Mystic Thurge PrC?

3rd Level Cleric/3rd Level Wizard/14th Mystic Thurge.

You will be casting spells as a 17th Level cleric and Wizard.

Otherwise you are the buffer and healer for the party. Can you create your own magic items? Like a braclet that heals people 3x Day when below 10 Hit points or something like that?

The FS gives up a lot to basicly be a Fighting Cleric. At 20th level- the last thing you want to be is a fighting cleric.

You job is to make sure the rest of the party is boosted, buffed and protected seven ways from Sunday, whilst you stand around tha corner and cast heal spells on yourself while the "shield other" spells you have cast do serious damage to you.

Get Improved Toughness, and several metamagic wands.

Assuming this guy is the big bad, what you want are allies, and by allies I mean the most powerful celestials. The best way to get the big celestials is with the Thaumaturgist PrC. Use multiple Greater Planar Allies to bring in Planetars, Tulanis (BoED), and creatures with the Saint Template (BoED), and any other high level Celestials, and then Gate in a Solar or two. Linking the entire party up to the Solar with Shield Other is a major boost, as Solar have a ton of DR, Regeneration and hp, they can act as a damage sponge for the entire party.

Domains should be Good, and whatever you like. Glory is good, especially if combined with the CD feat Divine Spell Power that let's you use Turn Undead to boost CL. Another good choice would be Inquisition, which let's you get that extra mile out of your Dispel Magics.

Spell-wise, everybody should be buffed to the gills. If there aren't RP objections, try and get everybody worshipping the same god, as it makes several spells more powerful. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Recitation, and Elation all provide combat bonuses that stack. Mass Spell Resistance combined with an Orange Ioun Stone, Bead of Karma, and Divine Spell Power can give the entire party SR 41. Protection from Elements and Divine Agility can defend against his breath weapon. His standard attacks are a little harder to deal with, but the Shield Other should help a lot, and the number of celestials on hand will provide ready healing and lesser targets to deal with his mooks. Freedom of Movement and Deathward cover most of the other stuff he could hit you with, and you're good to go.

If you can get it, try and get the ability to Inscribe Runes, from the Player Guide to Faerun. Handing out Runes of Righteous Might and Divine Favor to all the fighters makes your melee attacks even more powerful, and given time, you should be able to take him down. Just keep healing, and don't let the people with the ability to do damage go down.

Destil

Explorer
Chris Nagle said:

Otherwise you are the buffer and healer for the party. Can you create your own magic items? Like a braclet that heals people 3x Day when below 10 Hit points or something like that?
I'd go 3 Cleric / 3 Wizard / 10 Mystic Thurge / 4 Geomancer. Then you can have your cleric or wizard caster level at 17th then mix and match the best bonuses of divine and arcane spellcasting as needed.

Last edited:

Fingers Boggis

First Post
Chris Nagle said:

unless im mistaken (a bit possiblity) this isnt a legal build as you have to be in epic levels before you can take past level 10 in a PrC

Fingers

Dmitr

First Post
Fingers Boggis said:
unless im mistaken (a bit possiblity) this isnt a legal build as you have to be in epic levels before you can take past level 10 in a PrC

Fingers

Yah, you're right, unless it's listed in the book as 14-level...but a few levels of Geomancer could be fun anyway; they only get alternating stack, rather than doubling it up like Theurge (well, they did in 3.0, anyhow), but htey get some other tricks that are fun as they go.

Remove ads