• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Treasure Values beyond L1?

Errant

First Post
Are there any rules for how much treasure/gear a character should have if created at above L1?

PHB p.210 says you have 100gp at Level 1, but what if I'm creating a higher level character?

A pointer to the relevant rule, if it exists, would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

:D

The Eye

First Post
It's in the DMG. I think page 143. One of the inclusions in "Starting at Higher Level" says three magic items (level+1, level, and level-1) and gold equal to a magic item level equal to your level-1.

Otterscrubber

First Post
The Eye said:
It's in the DMG. I think page 143. One of the inclusions in "Starting at Higher Level" says three magic items (level+1, level, and level-1) and gold equal to a magic item level equal to your level-1.

Those are decent guidelines, but I think after a certain level characters will have more than 3 magic items. Perhaps those are their highest level items? Or any addition items are bought from the gold allowance?

Zurai

First Post
Otterscrubber said:
Those are decent guidelines, but I think after a certain level characters will have more than 3 magic items. Perhaps those are their highest level items? Or any addition items are bought from the gold allowance?
The latter. It specifically says that the gold can be spent on further magic items if desired. And, given how quickly the price of magic items scales, it's quite possible to get several more items with that gold if you're at paragon or epic tier.

Destil

Explorer
The math of the expected rewards chart actually works out to be about 130-160% of that value, by the way.

But I've built quite a few PCs off of it so far and none have felt low on gear. It covers the big 3 (weapon/implement, armor, neck) with some pocket change for doodads.

Remove ads