• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Wealth Confusion

Shin Okada

Explorer
I don't have a problem with people creating items, per se, but I think there should be some serious GM control in the process. There should also be a drastic diminishing return for selling magic items.

Too many times I've received magic item proposals that are totally legal but also totally ridiculous. You can place restrictions on a magic item until it is only usable by the character it is made for. This reduces the cost so dramatically that the power of the item is way beyond the scope of the current character level.

Well, actually, DMG item creation rule does not guarantee that players can use all the guidelines freely without permission of their DM. That section is guideline, not a solid hard rule meant to be used without guidance of DMs. So basically nothing is "totally legal but also totally ridiculous". If a DM thought it to be ridiculous, the DM should simply disallow it to make or raise the cost.

Personally, I completely disallow that cost reduction rule. It is simply broken. If we allow it, when a creator is not intending to sell that item, there is no reason to not making an item usable only by him, or by certain party member.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Personally, I completely disallow that cost reduction rule. It is simply broken. If we allow it, when a creator is not intending to sell that item, there is no reason to not making an item usable only by him, or by certain party member.
Expanding on that note: that never should have been put in the DMG in the first place.
Really, these discounts do nothing productive for the DM or the players.

If the Players can't use it: why include them as rules. THe DM can fudge stuff either way: why does he need discount rules?

Creeping Death

First Post
Expanding on that note: that never should have been put in the DMG in the first place.
Really, these discounts do nothing productive for the DM or the players.

If the Players can't use it: why include them as rules. THe DM can fudge stuff either way: why does he need discount rules?

I'm actually thinking about using them for a some what low magic campaign. But instead of discounts it is the opposite. When creating a magic sword +1 the wizard must define the alignment and class. This would be the same price as standard 3.x without the restrictions. Then if the wizard making the item wants to open the item up to be used by any class, then the item gets more expensive. This wizard can open the item up to make it a generic +1 sword but it would cost more money.

I haven't worked all the details out yet, but that is how I'm leaning.

Remove ads