• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charge!

Mengu

First Post
What's the drawback of charging then? (In that it seems like it essentially gives you a free move action followed by a +1 to attack. So why wouldn't someone charge in to attack every time?)

Because you must use a basic attack when you charge. So you can't use your nifty at-will powers like Cleave, Twin Strike, or Enfeebling Strike on a charge.

There are of course exceptions, when a power specifically says it can be used on a charge, such as Howling Strike.

Edit: Too many ninjas here.

Last edited:

shieldknight01

First Post
I use charge all the time with my Barbarian. I have a basic power that allows me to use it in place of my MBA. Does excellent damage and gives a bonus afterwards. Also, with the Fast Runner and Powerful Charge feats, you can really get a good distance covered and extra damage when you charge. With some of the new powers and feats in PH2 I figured I could have as a shifter and in the right rage a speed of 12 when I charge. I don't know to many maps (in RPGA play) that would keep me from closing on an enemy in the first round. (Rage, Move, AP-charge)

Ryujin

Legend
She's right, the charge ends your actions. The only possibility for taking an additional action is if a specific power or item is used that explicitly permits something to be done as a result of a charge. As they say; few rules, many exceptions.

Obryn

Hero
Oh, and you can't charge and then shift away from your opponent, while some "move X squares and attack" powers DO let you charge and then shift away.
There's also a set of boots in AV that let you shift 1 after a charge. They're pretty remarkably effective for Barbarians.

-O

Doctor Proctor

First Post
What's the drawback of charging then? (In that it seems like it essentially gives you a free move action followed by a +1 to attack. So why wouldn't someone charge in to attack every time?)

Well, besides the other reasons mentioned, another is that certain classes just aren't built for getting a lot out of charging every round. Since it's an MBA, it uses STR unless you take the Melee Training feat, so it's not the best option for Rogues. Fighters don't get that much benefit out of it either, as they like to stay adjacent to the monsters they've marked (in order to get CC and OA attacks). Granted, they mark as part of the charge, but since they have to move at least 2 squares to charge they cant block enemies from getting into the back row if they're always running around. So, staying in one space or small area and taking on all comers is usually better than running around and charging various enemies.

GorTeX

First Post
even tho everything is worded in 'squares' distance, 10 feet is also correct as each square is 5 feet square..thus 2 squares = 10 feet (even moving diagonally in 4th edition apparently)

(please forgive any sarcasm here..I'm in a bad, bad mood at the moment..unrelated to this thread or gaming at all)

Yeah, it is actually pretty hard to argue that free actions cannot be taken after a charge, given that they don't even need to be part of your turn. Of course ruling the opposite just means you can't wedge in certain free action buff/debuff kind of stuff, like triggering something that gives a save bonus for example before you take your end of turn sequence and throw saves. Either way, it isn't really a huge difference.

Note that the other answer to "why charge" that you will discover is that mechanically by separating move and attack into separate actions, certain things cannot be done. Like leaping out from a hidden position and attacking someone that is not adjacent to you with a melee attack. Charge is also the only generic way to use a readied action to close in and attack someone. There are times when those tactics are useful. I find that monsters charge quite a bit since they don't face the problem of using a lesser attack form (MBA vs at-will) like PCs do. DMs should definitely get real familiar with charge ;)

Remove ads