D&D 5E charger feat on a swashbuckler Rogue

ECMO3

Hero
I think you could use this to bump damage by +5 pretty regularly. Take the dash action and make sure you move 10 feet then attack with a +5 damage, since fancy footwork lets you back up after the attack without suffering from AOOs, this seems like a good way to add +5 damage on turns where you do not have another bonus action you want to use.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
I think you could use this to bump damage by +5 pretty regularly. Take the dash action and make sure you move 10 feet then attack with a +5 damage, since fancy footwork lets you back up after the attack without suffering from AOOs, this seems like a good way to add +5 damage on turns where you do not have another bonus action you want to use.
Debatably “not worth” an ASI until after you’ve maxed Dex (+1 to hit, +1 to Dex saves, and +1 AC is pretty good; +1 damage and +1 to ability checks is just gravy).

Additionally, the extra offensive mobility that charger provides is rendered moot by cunning action: dash, so the only thing you’re really getting is the +5 damage (and +5 feet on a shove).

However, it’s definitely not terrible, and if it helps you fulfill your character concept go for it!

ECMO3

Hero
Debatably “not worth” an ASI until after you’ve maxed Dex (+1 to hit, +1 to Dex saves, and +1 AC is pretty good; +1 damage and +1 to ability checks is just gravy).

Additionally, the extra offensive mobility that charger provides is rendered moot by cunning action: dash, so the only thing you’re really getting is the +5 damage (and +5 feet on a shove).

However, it’s definitely not terrible, and if it helps you fulfill your character concept go for it!
Yeah, the more I think about it magic initiate with booming blade is probably a better damage boost. It is not quite as high 5th-10th but it is higher after 10th and you get a second cantrip and a 1st-level spell to boot.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
It feels to me like one of those combos that's better in white room thinking than practice. Off the top of my head, if you have to move into attack range of more than one creature (which more easily happens if they have reach), then you can't use this because fancy footwork only affects the one you attacked. This just seems like the kind of thing you'd get some mileage out of, especially minor fights, but that overall you'd end up annoyed by the times it doesn't work.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
Yeah, the more I think about it magic initiate with booming blade is probably a better damage boost. It is not quite as high 5th-10th but it is higher after 10th and you get a second cantrip and a 1st-level spell to boot.
Yeah, if spellcasting doesn’t conflict with your character concept, magic initiate is the “superior” choice in almost all conceivable circumstances for a swashbuckling rogue. Charger isn’t bad though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases