Charm Person

Weeble

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Charm Person is no combat spell. There are better ways to use that level 1 slot in combat, since you can subdue weak foes easily enough and the tougher guys will probably make their save (especially since you get a penalty on the DC).

I disagree. See DMG p.73, Charm and Compulsion

Gromm

First Post
Loren Pechtel said:

Hey, charmee! That guy over there isn't the wizard you've been adventuring with, it's a doppleganger!

What happens?

You'd better have some way of proving it. Of course if you've got a few illusion spells up your sleeves....

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Weeble said:

I disagree. See DMG p.73, Charm and Compulsion

Also read PHB p. 183, Charm Person. It there states that the target receives a +5 bonus on his saving throw if it is currently being threatened of attacked by you or your allies. So if you cast it in a combat, you'll have a Spell with a DC of 6 + your relevant ability mod (10 + 1 for 1st-level spell - 5). That will be around 10, or maybe 16 (for a really smart guy with greater spell focus). Not so much to beat if you've a couple of class levels, and even if you're only 1st level you have a good chance of beating that! So on higher levels it's almost useless, and on lower levels you find better combat spells. (Remember, the guy won't attack his friends, he won't do anything that's against his alighment....). If you want him out of the fight, use sleep. It will put him (and probably some comrades of his) out of the whole thing, at least for a while.

Weeble

First Post
KaeYoss said:

Also read PHB p. 183, Charm Person. It there states that the target receives a +5 bonus on his saving throw if it is currently being threatened of attacked by you or your allies. So if you cast it in a combat, you'll have a Spell with a DC of 6 + your relevant ability mod (10 + 1 for 1st-level spell - 5). That will be around 10, or maybe 16 (for a really smart guy with greater spell focus). Not so much to beat if you've a couple of class levels, and even if you're only 1st level you have a good chance of beating that! So on higher levels it's almost useless, and on lower levels you find better combat spells. (Remember, the guy won't attack his friends, he won't do anything that's against his alighment....). If you want him out of the fight, use sleep. It will put him (and probably some comrades of his) out of the whole thing, at least for a while.

That's true if you are already in combat and you, or your allies, threaten the victim. For every other case, Charm Person is a great spell for combat. A small amount of foresight and planning allows a spellcaster tell his allies to NOT attack a creature about to be charmed.

noretoc

First Post
I don't know. The last game I ran, the party was together because of circumstance, not any lasting friendship. I think if someon charmed the rogue, and said "him or me" the rogue, would have turned on the party in an instant.

hong

WotC's bitch
Loren Pechtel said:

Hey, charmee! That guy over there isn't the wizard you've been adventuring with, it's a doppleganger!

What happens?

Bluff vs Sense Motive. Depending on how likely the bluff is (ie how trustworthy the alleged doppleganger has been in the past), this could be anywhere up to +10 on the Sense Motive.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Weeble said:

That's true if you are already in combat and you, or your allies, threaten the victim. For every other case, Charm Person is a great spell for combat. A small amount of foresight and planning allows a spellcaster tell his allies to NOT attack a creature about to be charmed.

I totally agree. IMHO, charm person is one of the most useful 1st-level spells, especially regarding is roleplay value.
But it's nothing you can employ efficiently in the middle of combat. If you can beforehand, it's fine. But that's not the case if you're ambushed or something, and then a magic missile is still perfectly useful.

Remove ads