Check my Math

takyris

First Post
I'm running a siege game this Saturday in M&M, and I've got people with some big boom effects. We don't use minis, and I want to ensure that I'm letting their effects get about the right number of bad guys.

1) A heroine hovers in the air and throws down a Burst Area 10 blast into a crowd of bad guys. Assume one bad guy per five foot square.

My math says:

Burst = 5 feet per rank, so it creates a circle on the ground (assume no flying enemies) with a radius of 50 feet.

50 feet = 10 5-foot squares.

Area of the circle formed is 10^2 x 3 (for simplicity), or 300 five-foot squares... enough to get 300 bad guys, assuming that every square is occupied.

2) A hero runs to the charging bad guy horde and throws out a Blast 10 in a cone pattern.

My math says:

Cone = 10 feet per rank, in a triangle that has a height of 100 feet and a width of 100 feet.

100 feet = 20 5-foot squares.

Area of the triangle = 1/2 x 20 x 20 = 200 five-foot squares, enough to get 200 bad guys, assuming that every square is occupied.

Am I screwing up my high-school math, or is this about right?

Tarek

Explorer
It's correct as far as I can tell, though using the first four significant digits of pi (3.1415) gives me a circle area of 314 5'x5' squares.

Remove ads