Check Out CURSE OF STRAHD'S Table of Contents!

MrHotter

First Post
This is the first release in months and Elemental had a ton of new stuff. I'm very disappointed.

I'm not sure how much character creation extras they could add to a Ravenloft adventure.

I would not want to see playable revenants or vampires, and are there spells that we don't already have that would fit in a Ravenloft adventure? Maybe they could add a 'monster hunter' subclass for fighter or rogue, but I also don't think that there is nothing that we could not build ourselves from existing material.

We may still get a Curse of Strahd players companion, but I'm thinking that they released the introductory adventure instead of that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
We may still get a Curse of Strahd players companion, but I'm thinking that they released the introductory adventure instead of that.

I want to say that I've already seen in one of the interviews/articles that the folks on the D&D team have done that they said there was no planned Player's Companion or player material (other than the small bit in the book) for Curse of Strahd. I could be misremembering, but I don't think I am.

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
What jumped out at me was the handouts. I've always loved physical items with adventures. I bought every 4E Essentials product for the stuff in the box, but I had nothing but the core books before that.

Handouts are great, and players love them. I hope WotC makes them available as a downloadable PDF so I don't have to scan in the pages from the physical book.

MrHotter

First Post
Handouts are great, and players love them. I hope WotC makes them available as a downloadable PDF so I don't have to scan in the pages from the physical book.

I was thinking the same thing. Back when the modules were not hardbound I had no issues cutting the pages out or loosening the staples and pulling the handout pages out, but I don't want to cut pages out of a book. Maybe they will be perforated like the fold out map.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I admit that I'm out of touch. I started playing 5e after not having played DnD since 1e nor any TRPG since the early 90s. But when did it become an expectation that an adventure would have class options. I prefer to keep the crunch separate and really hope that WoTC doesn't go nuts with crunch. Maybe I should put it differently, I like the player supplements to be separate, stand-alone works that make it easy for me, as the DM, to say--no--we are not using that in my game. If you start putting a lot of this stuff into the adventure paths, it become really hard to not have to accept it all into my game.

Also, I don't want my players to be tempted to buy the book for the player options. It would be too easy for WoTC to add a bunch of player options in an attempt to have a larger audience to sell the books to. I'm grateful that they didn't stoop to this.

Even adding new monsters, spells, and magic items is optional. They should only be added if they really add the theme and story and I wouldn't at all feel cheated if an adventure path had none this, so long as the story, maps, and organization were all great.

...So basically, they already released the literally only piece of character-building content in the entire book?

Well that sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

RotGrub

First Post
How does one run a Ravenloft module without campaign setting rules like Powers Checks, Horror and Madness rules, Modified spells, etc?

Sadly, this is yet another module that I won't buy. I was expecting to see a few pages about Ravenloft in general, but that appears to be absent. Of course, the same thing happened with the Realms. Everything is being released as a grand story without any regard for the essential and finer details of the setting.

IMO, if WotC would at least release a 5e primer on these campaign settings first, they'd at least appear to be a little more thoughtful.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases