WotC Check out Magic: the Gathering's Tiamat

We've known for a while that WotC is releasing D&D-themed Magic: the Gathering cards, as a set called Adventures in the Forgotten Realms. Artist Chis Rahn has shared his Tiamat.

"Been looking forward to sharing this one for what seems like forever! Tiamat, for Mtg's D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set. This was one of those assignments that I felt incredibly lucky to get. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I enjoyed painting it!"

E0wNOa5VIAEbZ-n.jpeg

The MtG set comes out on July 23rd, 2021. The collector's sets have a beholder on the front. ICv2 has more information on the various set configurations. Bell of Lost Souls has some card images.

mtc_dnd.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A 7/7 body isn’t worth anything if it just immediately eats a removal spell. For a creature to be worth playing competitively, it needs to either make an immediate impact, protect itself, or be aggressively under-costed for its size. Now, her tutor effect is undoubtedly splashy, but how good it really is will depend on what options you have to search for.

Given that Power Word Kill targets a non-angel, non-demon, non-devil, non-dragon, I expect we will see a lot more of those creature types at lower cost and rarity than usual, to keep it from being too flexible in limited. So, I expect Tiamat to have some good targets for sure. Whether or not that’ll be enough to make an impact in standard or historic though, I have no idea because I don’t know what those metagames are like. She’s definitely much too slow for modern or legacy because you have to actually cast her to get the tutor effect.

Let’s be real though, she was made for Commander. And there, she will be very good.
I suspect that Dragonborn might just have the Creature type "Dragon"...which would blast open the Mana curve for Dragon Tribal decks. At any rate, they stated in the Twitch stream that there will be a lot of Dragon cards in the Set.

Last edited:

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Great art.

A good thing I don't like MTG and the Forgotten Realms... for me that would be a money sink trying to get the complete set.

dave2008

Legend
I do like this art quite a bit (love the scale), but I am not particularly found of putting two necks on Tiamat's back. I see this approach a lot and it is not may favorite. I prefer the approach of the upcoming Tiamat mini (and my icon) where the necks are basically in line (though 2 may be set back a bit):

1620482725926.png

dave2008

Legend
Very nice. It's rare to see a dragon depicted at such a huge scale. I particularly liked the touch of the poor guy about to be gulped down by the black dragon head, just to drive home the size difference.
Oh, you mean this:
Tiamat_MTG_01.JPG

That looks like Tiamat's head is Gargantuan!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'll admit that I'm bad at meta, but good at just grinding my way to platinum 2, what's week about a 7/7 that also likely inserts five more dragons at the same time?
I doubt that you are playing something as expensive as Tiamat and then also playing 5 more dragon cards. They go into the hand, not into play. At best you will probably only get one of them down that turn. Most likely you will be waiting until the next turn.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt that you are playing something as expensive as Tiamat and then also playing 5 more dragon cards. They go into the hand, not into play. At best you will probably only get one of them down that turn. Most likely you will be waiting until the next turn.
In my experience, seeing Tiamat go down into play and five cards go into your hand can be enough to get a concession if the opponent has no answer, which is very probable by the point in the game Tiamat is even playable.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases