Cheese Sammiches

I just had an epiphany, and it turned into one of the best grilled cheese sammiches I've ever had. I had leftover Tostito's medium Salsa Con Queso and no more tortilla chips. I made a grilled cheese using Tillamook medium cheddar, Tostito's, and Native Grain bread (the same style of bread used in Cheesecake Factory). The butter for grilling was Kerrigold cream butter. I sliced the cheese thin off of the block and grilled both sides open, like I normally would. Then I spread the Salsa Con Queso very thin on the more melted side and closed it, letting it cool off. The medium cheddar turned very gooey. The Salsa Con Queso added a lot of flavor, and some needed salt. Native Grain is a sweet, brown bread that added another layer of flavor.

I highly recommend it. It's even better than a pepperjack grilled cheese.

Herschel

Adventurer
Simple practice: Thin layer of butter, then add a thin layer of mayo to grilling surface of bread. Use at least two types of cheese. If two types of cheese aren't available, sub bacon and tomato for the second cheese while deeply reflecting upon your poor life choices that have lead you to only having one type of of cheese available.

Grilled cheese sammiches for NSWSF lunch yesterday and I tried the mayo instead of butter thing for the first time. It grilled up quite nicely for a beautiful finish on the bread. It did alter the flavor profile slightly so I think I'm going back to butter next time.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hot spam and cheese. Hamburger buns don't work as well grilling as just bread
View attachment 147174
Spam is one of those things that can be transformed from nasty to tasty when paired with right foods. I grew up in Minnesota (home of Hormel, maker of Spam) and lived for a few years in Hawaii, highest per capita spam consumption in the world. My favorite way of eating spam is spam musubi. Basically a slice of spam on top of a block of rice, wrapped with a band of seaweed. I don't know why it works, but it does.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
There are some things where poor and humble just beats fancy for me. Every time I've tried to fancy up a grilled cheese sandwich or ordered a fancy, adult version, with fine cheeses and fancy breads--I'm always disappointed. Nothing beats cheap, soft white or light wheat slices, Velveeta (fun fact, I thought it was made with a cheap american cheese, but I Googled it while writing this and the author of an article on it quoted a spokeperson for Velveeta: "We are not able to make the claim ‘made with real cheese.’" 🙃 ), a bit of mustard and a bit of mayo, and slather butter on the the outside of the bread on both sides, then fry it on both sides in a pan until the "cheese" starts melting out. Finally, and this is critically important, you must cut the sandwich in half DIAGONALLY. Any other cut, or--god forbid, not cutting it--is just wrong. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Spam is one of those things that can be transformed from nasty to tasty when paired with right foods. I grew up in Minnesota (home of Hormel, maker of Spam) and lived for a few years in Hawaii, highest per capita spam consumption in the world. My favorite way of eating spam is spam musubi. Basically a slice of spam on top of a block of rice, wrapped with a band of seaweed. I don't know why it works, but it does.
I’ve tried spam in a very good Hawaiian joint near where I live. While I survived the encounter, and would not refuse it if I were served it that way at a gathering, I will probably not order it a second time.

Have you ever tried DAK? It's a higher quality SPAM, like Taylor Ham (aka pork roll).

Remove ads